What is reality?

reality is everything you experience how ever far fetched and unrealistic it may appear.
Thats my opinion.
Cheers
Ariel

I’m pretty much with relv on this one. Reality is what you percieve it to be, if you were on an acid trip and convinced yourself that the trees were pink or saw them as pink then for all practical purposes trees arte pink.

Reality it what my sense experience tells me it is, although perhaps a little naive it works for me, gives order/sense to my life, in short it works for me and I don’t see any reason to ponder much further.

intresting
i dont know if i believe in reality

Reality is what you least expect it to be :content:.

then lets do it the other way around: what’s not reality?

Bruno has brought up an interesting question.
As to LDreamerland post “I dont know if i believe in reality”
Id say you can divide the word reality into your private reality and the public reality, the reality.
The public reality can not be experienced by humans on earth because we are too focused on the material, we do not see the true nature of things, although an experienced monk is probably getting a version really close to the public reality, everyone perceives their own reality. I for one, started noticing a totally new reality when I started meditating, I could see everything in a much more beautiful way as if I were high and I could see things in much better perspectiveedited out, please see the forum rules regarding drug use, I would see the big picture instead of a fragment of reality, I sometime noticed I am observing the entire picture, beyond the physical illusion, the energy involved, how everything is the same and is entirely just energy running all over.
So, our own reality is of course different from one another but nevertheless, the term can be explained in my opinion simply by: what you experience.
That is your reality, there is one ultimate reality, but the physical senses can not grasp it.

My toughts are reality. The only reality I can be sure is real.
“I think, therefore I am.” Descartes
Sure, there may be other reality. But I wil never know.
Which brings me to: Do other people have any mind? If you think they do, how can you be so sure?

a Chinese philosopher once said “If i have a dream that i am a butterfly, which me man or butterfly is dreaming”

i thought that was quite interesting

another point is when your not thinking of its say your mom does she still exist when your not at work does it exist

as poet and king Yi Bangwón once said, 이런들 엇더하며 뎌러들 엇더하리
만수산 드렁츩이 얽어진들 긔 엇더하리
우리도 이가티 얽어져서 백년까지 하리라. but — is that even a question?

what i mean to say is: whether «my mom» exists as some piece of objective reality, whether she’s just a delirium whispered to me by a cartesian demon, does it really matter? the fact is, for now i’m under the impression of having a «mother», and i’m under the impression of having had one such «mother» for a really long time, and those impressions affect me in such and such ways. should i live in spite of these impressions and affections? can i live in spite of it?

questioning your own sanity ain’t good: granted, it will lead you nowhere. because no matter if you’re perfectly sane or a victim of some crazy psychotic delusion, trusting yourself is still the only choice you’ve got.

I dont know what is reality and whats not. I can say " that was a dream " or “that is fu**in life”, but was that dream real just in my mind or not? isnt this life just a dream? I just cant answer this questions on my knowledge level, but i will fight for it untill ill reach my target.
My life is answering the questions

well think of this the world is what we percieve it to be

for example in a dark forest we see a bush
well to any person it might look like a bear a car or even a person
but when that person does look at that bush and says oh my god its a bear
it will look more like a bear then a bush
because our mind is telling us “hey watch out that looks like a bear”
so what else is our mind altering?

pretty much everything! our perception is limited. not only is it limited, our gross perception is filtered, and only a selection of it is presented to conscience. then it is filtered again, by something diabolical called language. at this point, it is completely distorted, and whatever figment of reality is left is so blended into a big crazy delirium we call «mind» that it’s not even worth trying to look for it.

and that’s perception for you: if you really want to compute how bad our distortion of reality is, you’ll surely have to count judgment and action also. and then there’s habit and conditioning too. and did i mention language? because, really, human beings are funny that way: they think there’s a clear cut, «self-evident» definition of what is family (or better yet: what configures «incest»), or that reality-out-there has laws governing what is and what is not «inteligence», «planet» or «life».

still, my argument persists: this is a very nice discussion, it can grow ridiculously abstract and before we even go there, let me just repeat once again that questioning your own sanity leads to a quite ennerving contradiction, which will only yield sleepless nights and weeks worth of therapy. but: no matter what conclusion you reach here — and by that i mean you can even decide to postulate that yes, you’re crazy and you cannot trust a single figment of your perception — it’s not like you have an alternative. «reality», reality is not even a question. it doesn’t matter whether it’s there or not, whether we get it or not, it’s not like we have an alternative to trusting ourselves and going with the flow — no, not on that one.

what you can do is try and understand in which ways your perception is distorted, but by the time you do that, you’re already trusting your perception. if you are indeed psychotic and this is all a crazy dream, even what the neuroscientists tell you in the magazines is not to be trusted (because there are no neuroscientists!), and you will never have a shot at understanding how exactly your perception is distorted. worse yet: you’ll be trapped in a hallucination where you think you got it, when you actually really didn’t. what a poor joke, you will be, then. but really, and i must repeat this once again: can you act like you had had a choice?

indeed
and have you ever felt like your apart of someone elses dream
and your just a dream character?

I dont think its possible that it is all a dream. Let me explain why.
To me, I am alive, thats for sure, now there is the possibility that all of my life are in fact a dream but that would mean that everyone I know, including all of you people here are in fact figments of my imagination which of course can not be proved to be incorrect, assuming you are in fact real and this is not a dream, any one of you can think the same about their life, so every one in a way could never really know if this is all a dream or “reality” but again, what is a dream? and what is reality? dreaming = astral projecting .
When we are dreaming we are projecting our consciousness to the Astral planes, the only difference is that instead of seeing the public astrals we are watching our own environment created entirely by ourselves, by our SC where in an AP we are watching the public astrals. So in fact dreams are reality in my opinion, as I said in my first post in this topic, reality in my opinion is everything we perceive because in fact everything we perceive in this plane of life is energy being decoded by our senses, by our brain and makes such an impression on ourselves. At a certain situation, every human being will perceive it differently according with his own consciousness, sub and non sub, according to his own processor, his brain.
like bruno said, it doesn’t matter if youre insane or sane, you can only trust on yourself at all times as you simply dont have any choice.
Again, I believe there are two terms to recognize, our private reality, each one has his own reality, the life he chooses consciously and subconsciously to live and there is the public reality, the one, we can not be completely aware of right now as we are in physical form.
The two terms are completely different in my opinion as that every individual on this planet experiences his own private reality with no one else experiencing that same reality opposed to the public reality which is one and ultimate.
Therefore our reality is in my opinion everything we experience, whether we are on acid, thc, alcohol and coffee each day, whether we are complete “insane” or whether we are perfectly “normal” human beings.

Sane or insane… I believe reality is none of what we usually see…
Reality for me is that everything is energy, we are energy. We are spirits incarnated in this physical bodies, who are here or hearth as a part of our learning process. So for me, all this is just a big matrix, we think this is the reality, but it really isn’t. All this materializes so that we can play “the game”. I don’t really think any of this matters…

I agree that dreams are our trips to the other dimensions. I don’t know much about LD but my dreams are a very real part of me, always giving me information and guidance. I also think we do a lot of work with us and others during our dreams.

I could not agree more!

Nonetheless, the term reality as I said is to be divided into two. You are talking about the public reality, the ultimate reality, the reality which is of course as you said.
We are here to complete our lessons, this is all a game, but as I said as we are in physical form at this moment we can not completely understand the nature of the universe, there are parts of us of course residing in much inner spheres and they of course understand the true and nature of the entire universe and the reality and of course, they can not be fooled in any way by the physical illusion of space and time.
We are energy as you said. That is quantum physics. Everything in the universe is energy and transforms into material when we touch it, there is no material if there is no one to touch it and no physical things to be seen if there isn’t anyone to observe them. According to quantum physics, if a group of people living the same building will stop expecting the building to be there, the level, the concentration of the quanta, the energy, will gradually decrease until the building itself will completely disintegrate releasing its quanta to spread throughout the universe.

I was talking about the term reality as to what we are experiencing and not the reality of the universe. In which context, every one has his own reality.

by the way,
I never saw you here before so welcome and hi!

IMO Reality is simply what we perceive it to be indiviually. I might consider a certain landscape beautiful, while another person might consider it horrible. So is the landscape really beautiful or horrible?

Also, have you ever wondered whether other people perceive colours the same way as you do? The way I see the colour blue, might be the equivalent of the way another person sees the colour green, etc. If I were to look through somebody elses eyes, would the sky seem yellow to me?

Hi ReIV

You say
“as I said as we are in physical form at this moment we can not completely understand the nature of the universe”

It’s so true, it’s not at all easy, we are so much programmed to “see” what others want us to see, that we lose focus on what’s true.

But we are made of 3 things: Body, mind and spirit. I believe that if we can change our conscience, we’ll be able to heal and change our body and mind. And by consequence get closer to our spirit. I truly believe that our spirit holds all the answers. I don’t mean by that, that we’ll know ALL the answers during this lifetime.

I make my purpose to fight ahead and get closer to the true nature of the universe, and by that… of myself.

regarding to the second paragraph,
I dont think we are programmed to see what others want us to see, it is simply that at this time, the human race is very disconnected from its true purpose and the real nature of the universe, for the last couple of thousands of years, the human race has been regressing. For example did you know that where our pineal eye chakra is there is a physical gland that some thousand years ago was the size of a ping pong ball, now its reduced to the size of a pea. It does not matter though, as time is only an illusion existing only in this plane of life, the lowest one, the physical one, as referred to by David Bohm (Lead researcher in the field of quantum physics): Frozen Light. As the same rules apply to every sphere of the universe as they are not separate, it is an energy continuum, starting from here, the lowest energy, the highest density to the highest of all, “god” (i hate that word), the source, the one, the essence, the highest concentration of energy, of quanta and therefore the lowest density.
Through meditation and close inspection of the reality we can focus and see the reality, only that since we are perceiving the reality through physical senses at the moment, our understanding of it can not be perfect right not.
Nonetheless (moving on to the third paragraph), parts of us are residents of much inner spheres of life, our spirit, our mental body, is in the mental planes, and is much more knowing to the true nature of the universe. Our higher self knows about every aspect of life and is only concerned by our well being and progression towards the source, as there is no such thing as time, he knows everything about us regarding past present and future lives. What about the soul? the astral body? is that your reference to mind? healing and changing our body is in fact very much easy as with achieving any thing we want, because “god”, the universe, wants for each and every one of us complete and full happiness, every body can be every thing and can do what ever they want. we are all made in the spiritual image of god, therefore co creators in the universe, just as the source is the creator in the macrocosm, we are the creators in the microcosm, each creating his own reality. Our spirit does hold the answers but we will not understand all in this life as it is simply not meant to be, one can not go from the physical universe, the lowest in vibration to the highest, we are all changing our vibrations, and as they will increase gradually, we will raise in the spheres of life until we reach back to the source, the essence, the pure energy, the light itself.
It does not matter that humans right now are denying their own purpose, eventually, we will all as a race evolve and reach our destiny as time simply does not exist beyond this physical illusion.
Every one chose when, where and exactly under what circumstances to be born in order to achieve the lessons he needs to learn in order to progress along the path.
Every one should recognize this most profound truth and therefore welcome any situation he gets into and should try to benefit from it on the way to progress, to evolve, on the way to achieving our one true destiny, unity with the source, which of course, every one will achieve sooner or later (sooner is better)
Cheers

woah!!
that hit me pretty hard. :unk:
it’s so true though. I’ve been pondering this for while.

especially this bit.

thanks heaps for that post Bruno. :clap: :partying_face: