The BIG Reality Check topic, part IV

Ive jsut started a DJ to help withdream recall, and ive been trying to do RCs too, but i never think of them druing the day. Is there any way to help make them a habit?

I did stick-your-finger-though-other-hands-palm relaity check in a lucid dream, and it failed! Or, rather, worked! Failed! Eeh…
Basicly, it didn’t do what it was supposted to do: The finger was stopped by the palm! So if I would ever do this RC in a ND, I wouldn’t get lucid!
Thankfully, the nose one worked, so I’ll use that one.

Sanky:
Thats exactly what happened to me. My finger didnt go thorugh my palm, but the air supply got through my plugged nose afterwards so… i dont bother with the hand-through-palm RC. As the nose one always works for me :content:

I’m not sure if this method was mentioned yet, but I read somewhere that you could write a large “A” on your palm that stands for “awake.” If you look at it in your dream and its there it might remind you to do a reality check. I hope that helps.

I actually don’t do much RCing. I like to do the levitation RC, but only after I’m lucid. The classic “examining surroundings” trick works with me too.

Reality checks can come in many differnt ways. In my first self induced lucid dream a poptart served as a reality check. :happy:

(Oh my first post on the English forum :3 )

RC’s make me angry as hell. ): I never succeed that way, especially the mirror-way doesn’t work.
I remember that last summer I was in a dream and I looked in a mirror to see if I still looked normal. Odd me would prove I was in a dream, I thought. First I did not see any reflection at all, so I went closer. Then I suddenly appeared, all bloody and gore like I’d been in some sort of accident. “Oh that’s me!” I though and I just dreamed on. Argh.

A few dreams later I looked into the mirror again. My body shapeshifted into someone else and still I decided the RC proved I was awake.

Even clocks don’t help! A few nights ago I was in a dream and looked at the clock. 3:00. I looked away and then looked again. 18:34. I looked away and looked again: --:–.
‘Oh hey my clock’s broke!’ Oh god, dream-me is so stupid!

for me even if i do a hundred RC IRL, i never do them in a dream. when i dream its like watching TV. i dont think about my choices i just do them

Can anybody help me…

The only time I’m reminded to do a RC is when I’m on LD4ALL but otherwise throughout the day I never remember. Any ideas? :rc: :rc: :rc: :rc: :rc: :rc:

@DR34M N0OB: you could try using a watch and setting it to go off every hour? or you could try to remember to do one everytime you go through a doorway. that works for me. or you could do one when you see a clock. or a tv. or your family/friends. or… ill stop now. but now that i think about it, the possibilities are close to endless

i had a LD this morning by reality checking. it was about time too. ive been RCing for the past month with continuously missed and failed DS’s, and it paid off! yay! the funny thing is that i didnt hear my phones alarm so i must have been in a really deep sleep.

I stared doing the nose RC…
I do irt a few times a day.
When i’m in bed,that phase of the slow waking up,in wich you’re half dreaming,half awake,i do it dozens of times.
I still can’t get lucid…

Really glad I found this site. I am a newbie, only been at this for 6 months, but it’s good to find a site to share my interests. I LD about once a week, and trying desperately to increase that number. The RC thing is great, as I first learned it in “the art of dreaming” by castaneda. I will continue to try the nose technique…if anyone has any tips I would love to hear them. Just being on this site helps my mind to condition itsself to dream more. I recall dreams every night now, as before maybe twice a week. Thanks to all for making this possible and sharing your experiences.
Josh
Please message me if you have any pointers that can help me become lucid at night…besides the ones I have already read. Everything helps!
Peace to all

ok so here is a RC that you only have to do once a day.
first. you know how when u were a kid, at least for me, whenever i had a LD i would first think wait! i was just in my bed. so then lalalalaa i would have a LD.
so whenever u get up in the morning aka out of your bed just be aware that u are getting up and if you want do a RC.
cause then when you are in a dream you will be like “wait i never got out of bed, im still sleeping!!”

on a side note. i do RC on a sheduled basis. and on a random basis. like whenever i look at a clock or what not. but i also do them, whenever i see the sun, the moon, my DS, and now whenever i wake up.:smile:

That’s not really “new”, it’s just a mental way of questioning your state, reality or not.
It’s basically a mental reality check.

exactly. so its a NEW way of Q reality. Q reality is defined as a Reality check.

Actually, asking yourself about it isn’t really new. Even the movie Waking Life (2001) discussed things like this.
Also, these videos were posted in 2007, and include something very similar:
Part One - Part Two - Part Three

I’ve been doing as many RC during the day as I can remember, but no avail in my dreams til last night. Last night I can recall about 10 different dream connections, weather or not I woke u between them I dont know. But during the night I felt I turned over in bed and briefly woke and the next thing I knew was in a car so did a RC, because wasn’t I in bed a second a go? I did the hand thing, tried to distort my finger by pulling it but nothing. So I thought, if I’m in a dream and keep pulling, it WILL distort so I pulled and my finger stretched. I then went on to do the breathe thing, which also worked but thats all I remember. So maybe setting your alarm earlier and just thinking ‘LD!’ and going back to sleep will help with a RC?

My hands always look normal in my LD’s. The clock RC really works for me.

Hey all

Was just wondering, how many RC’s do you need to do roughly to have the most chance of performing them in dreams? I’ve started wondering if its because I’m not doing enough RCs that I’m not getting lucid often

The best way to get the most out of reality checks isn’t just to do as many as possible. If you focus purely on quantity, then you may find it becomes something you expect to fail and get tired of doing. The best thing I believe to do, is to do as many RCs as you feel comfortable doing, trying to remember to do them when certain events (Dream signs) happen. When you do them, you want to try and really think, it might be a dream. Try to be in the mindset where it wouldn’t be a huge surprise if your reality check said you were dreaming.

Tying them to an event is a good idea, it has been successful for me. Try to spend some time, when you have nothing better to do, focusing on your intention to RC when [insert dreamsign] happens. You can use some generic dream signs if you don’t know any, two good ones are, things not working as expected, and things feeling dream-like. (Where the world seems so clear, like if it was an exceptionally sunny day for example) Placing a reminder of your intention to RC when [insert dreamsign] happens may help too. For example a quick note on you computer desk.