So how exactly do you fall asleep?

Ridiculously simple question, but for some reason, I could never fall asleep. Not to say that I have insomnia, I don’t, but I could never sleep while conscious, or on purpose - I only fall asleep when I ‘lose myself’, I stop thinking, and I could never remember falling asleep the next morning. The closest I ever get, whenever I try to go to sleep, is just lying in bed, with my body numb- but not paralyzed- and my brain… a little drowsy… but very much waiting to fall asleep. Sometimes, however, when I’m like this, I suddenly feel like I’m going to start sleeping soon- but then I start choking and gasping for air, and my throat feels like there’s a knife crammed into it, so nothing happens, since I’m too busy trying to not suffocate.
To put myself to sleep, I’ve tried counting, staying perfectly still, thinking nothing, repeating some phrase over and over again, focusing on breathing normally, etc. Since I’ve tried to get LDs (which is to say, two nights ago), I’ve also been telling myself ‘I will have a lucid dream’, ‘I am going to dream’, counting while saying "i’m dreaming’, and staying conscious while my body goes numb. Never works (however, I’m not sure I’m complaining, because last night, even though it took 3 hours to lose consciousness, I still remembered 6 dreams- which is five more than I usually get- and in one of them, even though I didn’t get lucid, I did do something I normally wouldn’t, and noticed that in the dream!!!). Anyways, long description now over, how exactly do you fall asleep?

I start spinning my mind and thoughts around slowly. Not enough to get fall-over dizzy, just enough to scramble my head around to the point where I don’t think anymore, and can sleep. :smile:

Good topic btw. :happy:

Edit: Just noticed you’re new! :welcome:!!!

Using MILD should not be keeping you awake. If you need to drift off, simply stop repeating the mantra and let your sc take over. Your part is done.

I used to have very difficult sleep problems.

It was very hard for me to fall asleep.

Since I started meditating, my sleep habits have significantly changed.

I need much less sleep, first of all, and when I do need sleep, I fall asleep very quickly and easily.

I also usually meditate before I go to sleep so when I try to fall asleep, my body is already incredibly relaxed and that makes it very very easy indeed.

Not to mention the quiet mind.

My method? I take myself to SP and then I can fall asleep easier.

The only way I fall asleep easily is under the influence of lots of alcohol.

Otherwise it takes hours…

I used to just listen to music. Sometimes I still do, but more often I do my nightly ritual. It involves relaxing my body and setting the intention to lucid dream.

The way I relax my body is to lie on my back with my hands by my side, thumbs touching the side of my legs. I think of a specific point on my body starting with my feet then working my way up my legs to my stomach and chest and then my arms and finally my head. At each point I imagine warmth flowing out into the body part, I sometimes visualise an actual ring of warmth spreading outwards from the point. It often helps me to imagine the warmth flowing as a result of my breathing out, as if I am breathing warmth into my body.

Once my whole body is warm and relaxed I imagine myself walking down a set of stairs and at the bottom is my sub-conscious. When I get there I repeat a few simple phrases for as long as I can be bothered, usually: “I will remember my dreams” and “I will realise that I’m dreaming”.

If I haven’t already fallen asleep by then I roll over onto my side and a few minutes later I’m gone. Lately I’ve had a cough so I’ve just been sleeping the old way.

:lol:

I can relate to that :wink:

You can try to meditate when you cant go to sleep and it usually works if your lying in bed. That what I usually do. I think your problem might just be that you concentrating too hard on your breathing. Just let you mind go.

I lay on my stomach and think about good things about my day, or just good things about my life that are happening right now. If I think about bad stuff, I wont be able to get to sleep. I just think nice thoughts and slowly drift off to sleep. XD

Ugh. I have a similar problem when i go to sleep. Only recently when I started trying to induce Lucid Dreams. It feels like my rib is digging into my side. And no matter where or how I lay I can never get comfortable. But when I stop trying it seems to go away.

That’s pretty odd…
I do exactly what WD does.
Looks like it’s useful if you’re 13.
"Think happy thoughts!"ebil smile