The BIG WBTB topic, part III

ok so im sort of trying out the WBTB thing, and i woke up at 8 am and am going to sleep at 8:45, this is realy early for me i usualy get up at 11 or 12. and ive joined this forum and have been reading it for a half hour.

Merged from a topic in Fruits Of Lucidity. :dragon:

Hey :welcome: to the forum :smile:
Going back to sleep after waking up will help you to LD. Since you are already in a relaxed state and there will be less, if any time, before you enter REM sleep. :content:

I can never figure out when to set my alarm for since when I fall asleep is unpredictable. But on a school night I am usually settling down at 9:30 and watch south park for a while. Sometimes Im asleep in 30 mins sometimes its 4 hours. But I have to wake up at 5:30. So lets just say I go to bed at 10 and wake up a 5:30 on weekdays. Could somebody tell me when I should wake up?

[quoteI can never figure out when to set my alarm for since when I fall asleep is unpredictable. But on a school night I am usually settling down at 9:30 and watch south park for a while. Sometimes Im asleep in 30 mins sometimes its 4 hours. But I have to wake up at 5:30. So lets just say I go to bed at 10 and wake up a 5:30 on weekdays. Could somebody tell me when I should wake up?[/quote]

i don’t think you really NEED an alarm clock for this tech. in fact, when i have used an alarm clock it normally messes up another dream! just try to catch yourself when you are awake in the middle of the night and go through the techniques. i’ve also gotten it to work when i’m really tired when i go to bed, so maybe try that too.

answering your question, it sounds like anywhere between 1 and 4 would be good. just wake up and think ‘dream, dream, dream…’

Ok because I can usually tell me self to wake up at a certain hour.

But I’m going to try the water trick also before I go to bed, and when I’m awake in the middle of the night. Do you think once I can get myself awake during REM and recall dreams daily that I should start trying to LD? Or Multitask? Because I think if I get my recall and WBTB top notch I can easily get my first LD right?

So I’ve been trying to WBTB properly the last few days. My problem is that when my alarm goes off, I just reach it with one hand, turn it off, and zap I’m back asleep. It’s as if I’m dead tired and grumble something to myself “yeah I need to stay awake for 30mins now,” and that’s about it.

I had set it 5hours after I go to sleep, so… according to the image, I suppose I don’t factor in the time I need to fall asleep, and that 5.45-6 hours makes more sense. Gonna try that.

Has anyone experienced this and found a simple answer to just instafalling back to sleep?

Doing the WBTB now :smile: Indeed going for 5h 40 minutes solved it. Note even half as grumpy.

I happened to randomly wake up 5 hours after I went to bed last night so I decided to try the WBTB. I read these forums for 30 minutes, ate some cheese for the B6, then laid back in bed. It was kind of hard to go back to sleep, took nearly an hour but wow - I’ve never had a dream that detailed. I could feel my thoughts as well as my actions. I didn’t realize I was dreaming so I wasn’t completely lucid, but I remember having thoughts to my dream-self about what to do next. I’ve never had such a vivid dream. When I woke up this morning I actually felt a bit mentally drained from all of it and my boxers were a little wet from sweat.

Quite an experience…I might try again tonight. I haven’t typed anything out in my dream journal yet but I have most of it recorded on my Mp3 player. Unfortunately, I ran out of space so I couldn’t get all the details down but I thought about it heavily once I woke up so I still remember all of it. If work isn’t busy I might try writing it down.

WBTB rocks. I’ve never dreamed like that before.

Ack… I’m having trouble with this:

I have the alarm on my phone set for 2 AM. I typically go to bed around 10 PM, and I fall asleep anywhere from a few minutes to a full hour, afterward. That gives me, roughly, 4 hours of sleep - 3 hours, at least.

Now, while I feel this is sufficient enough, I am still having trouble when I wake up to shut off my alarm. The trouble is remaining aware enough to enter the ‘dreamstate’. (I usually don’t get out of bed. Otherwise, it is only to go to the restroom.)

I am either too relaxed, and slip into a ‘dream coma’, or I am too awake to begin falling asleep again. It’s a matter of trying to balance these two states of consciousness that I’m really having my problems. Other than that, my recall is excellent. I haven’t missed a night of recall since the the new year began. (I know I am having enough dreams between my 2-6 AM window that I should catch on and slip into at least one semi-lucid dream…)

Aye, any suggestions? I’d very much appreciate the help. :smile:

i cant believe you all want to have lucid dreams, iv been having a lot lately and came on the internet to find out how to stop having them as they realy frighten me and im avoiding sleeping, which isnt good :sad: and i found this and actually im now feeling like i should be grateful to have them, and im gunna start trying to control the better so i dont feel scared and panicked in them all the time.

there always dark and strange, and i get that thing were my bodys paralysed in my bed and im screaming for someone to wake me up but no one can hear me. anyway dont really no were im supposed to write down this sort of thing but feel better getting it of my chest :smile:

oh yeh n i mainly get them when im realy over tired, n missed like a whole nights sleep. so u cud try that :smile:

hey tanzersrose,

Please notice there’s a huge difference between SP (sleep paralysis), bad dreams and Lucid dreams. Lucid dreams can hardly be scary, unless you don’t have much control, but then again the dream isn’t all that Lucid.

Lots of people here have experienced SP, because it’s easy to get into while practising some techniques. I have hardly found anyone who enjoys them… you get used to it though. Just know you’re safe and there’s nothing wrong, try to relax, it’s all in your head.

Also if you are really sure you are Lucid when having these ‘dark’ dreams, my personal opinion is you should be happy you are lucid, because it’s not very hard to gain more control in your dreams. You are able to turn a clouded sky and rainy weather into a sparkling sun with a rainbow. You can turn death into life and matter into non-matter. It is you who has full controll over this realm, so feel free to use it whenever things don’t go the way you want them to go.

There’s lots of topics on these forums about increasing control and lucidness in your dreams, just look around a bit. See your lucid dreaming ability as a gift, not a burden… if these bad dreams where normal it would be a lot harder getting rid of them. Start seeing the fun in it :smile:

Good luck

Not sure if this has been answered above, but I was wondering how long to set my alarm

would setting it to go off in about 3-4 hours after i fall asleep be good?

So far, from my experiences, sleeping about that long, then trying WILD seems to have worked better. I’ve been able to work WILD without WBTB, but they only seem to last a few seconds and are not as vivid. For me after about 3 hours of sleep, they seem to be stronger, and easier to accomplish. Hope that answers your questions.

thanks. I’ll experiment with the times :smile:

No prob, keep us posted on your success, it’s always nice to be able to talk to people bout it. I have a hard time when I have a succesfull WILD and can’t talk to anybody about it. Then I have to wait to get to work so I can post it up on forums.

I have a question about WBTB.
I’ve tried two WBTB’s this week (one right now, actually) and I noticed that both times when I woke up after setting the alarm, I can’t remember any bit about the dreams I’ve had. Normally, I have good dream recall and can remember atleast 2-3 dreams a night pretty clearly, but it’s weird just remembering sitting in my bed, seeing blackness, then hearing an alarm. Could it be the alarm that makes dream recall worse or is it just that REM cycles aren’t as long until now? (sorry if it doesn’t make a lot of sense, I’m like half asleep)

Hi,

Every time I’ve tried to attempt WBTB I’ve had extreme difficulty falling back to sleep after waking up. Does anyone else have this problem and if so how can you remedy it? I usually become frustrated after lying in bed for hours and take a sleeping pill. I’d rather not, though, as I feel it can inhibit my ability to dream lucidly. It’s just often bright by the time I wake up (4-5 AM) and there are always loud birds outside my window.

Thank you,
Jake

Jake, as soon as you wake up, don’t move at all or open your eyes. Simply lay still and focus on your breathing. This could trigger dream chaining, which might result in an LD. Hope that helps. :happy:

But isn’t the point to get up for at least ten minutes and do something that is active for the mind as well as is related to lucid dreaming? I’ve been reading books on lucid dreaming when I wake up.