Best video game soundtrack?

Final Fantasy VII’s soundtrack made the game for me. I’m a sucker for music, and even though it was midi… it never fails to choke me up. The piano collections version are gorgeous too. It has such a variety of music, from the uplifting main theme, for One Winged Angel’s quite frankly terrifying latin chant (best bad guy theme tune ever for me… closely followed by Jenova’s… ) to Aeriths theme… That piece has always made me want to cry… even before I knew what it was. Then you get all these awesome little ones that are overlooked. Costa Del Sol was an awesome track, and what about the jazzed up Chocobo theme?! Gah, I could go on forever. There is not ONE track on the entire game I don’t like.

Hands down Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. (and the whole series, anyway…)

FFVII and all Metal Gears (especially MGS IV) are also really nice.

My immediate pick is Morrowind. It’s not always the best to listen to outside of the game, but that’s because it sets the ambiance and the tone and the background and…everything. It’s always just there in the game…I dunno how to describe what I mean really. It’s almost that the soundtrack is the game?

ah…that makes no sense either. I don’t mean to say that without the soundtrack the game would be no good. I’ll just try to find something I can put into understandable english then?

well now all I can think of are other Jeremy Soule compositions, most of his older work is nothing short of epic. hold on :peek:

Okami has some amazing pieces. I suppose that’d be my pick next to Jeremy Soule’s work. It’s a hundred times better than any of his newer stuff I can tell you that much :neutral:

Unfortunately I enjoy it for the same reason I enjoy Morrowind so much so that’s no good to you is it? :help:

I’ll have to agree with Tundra. FFVII music is brilliant, especially the piano versions. JENOVA on the piano sounds amazing, i can keep playing it again and again and i never get tired of it. My parents on the other hand…

Other Final Fantasy soundtracks are good too, FFX is my second fave, even though i’ve never played the game.

Oooo Kingdom Hearts too! Brilliant!! I loved the music there - so dreaaamy!

Donkey Kong Country 2 on the SNES- magic

i used to be attached to the theme of Super Mario 64’s Jolly Roger Bay. it always gave me a nostalgic feeling of playing the game years ago. I also like Tales of Phantasia, that had some nice tunes.
while i’m reminiscing on old games i might as well add in Mario Kart 64.

For me it’s a tie between Chrono Cross and Xenogears (if I completely block out the main song, horribly melodramatic power ballad.)

Yes, I’m a total Squaresoft Ditz. :tongue:

There was this one song in super mario sunshine…

It was the music when you enter the secret warp places. Like, a chorus version of the Super Mario Bros. theme.

Also, the super smash bros. brawl theme makes me feel empowered. :hyper:

Kingdom Hearts, maybe? I can’t choose a “best,” as they’re all good in their own ways.

Myst! Specially Myst 3 and 4.

Others I think are really good too are Max Payne 2, Oblivion, Gothic 3, Full Throttle, …

… and Aquaria, a great indie pc game :smile:

I also like Totaka’s song. :yes:

My personal favorite soundtrack is from an RPG called Arcanum. I guess we don’t get many string quartets for video games these days.

I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to post a link (if it’s available) to a favorite track. Here’s the main theme of Arcanum, for example: youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw

Pretty much every Final Fantasy game has a superb soundtrack, but I’d have to say my favourites are FF Tactics, FF X, and FF IX. Shadow of the Colossus also has an excellent soundtrack. I liked Homeworld 2’s music as well.

Oh, man. Jet Set Radio Future (JSRF). Sometimes I kind of wonder why I like that game so much, since it’s actually pretty simplistic, but the tracks on there are really great. They’re sort of a mix of funk, rock, techno, and rap, and they’re really fun to move to.

The Concept of Love (JSRF Theme)
Fly Like a Butterfly
Count Latchula

Yeah, I would say FFX, and Kingdom hearts 1 and 2.
Mostly because I don’t know many video game soundtracks. :tongue:

I’ve been listening to a music CD from the game Crysis recently, at times the tracks get creepy, really like it.

I’m a sucker for anything Final Fantasy with a personal favorite being You’re Not Alone from 9.

Although I also find myself listening to Smash bros(melee, live, and brawl), Ace Combat 5, Tales of Symphonia and, does anyone remember Disgaea?

I have to say MOTHER 3, there’s so many tracks, and so much variety.
Cave Story has some good tracks too.

I dont know if anybody said it but Little Big Planet has best soundtrack

This.