Suppressed Memories?

Yesterday, at work, I saw a beautiful picture of a hawk, which I showed to my boss and a coworker. Nothing was mentioned later, and I pretty much forgot about it. This night I dreamed with a big eagle, which is kinda unlike for me, considering it was an American eagle. I mentioned the dream at work today and my boss said it was probably due to the hawk. But I couldn’t remember the hawk! It seriously took me over a minute to actually even remember it.

Now this made me think: several dream signs come from stuff from our daily lives, but it seems that the stuff we pay the least attention to are the ones that go in dreams. What do you think? Does our SC pick the “forgotten” stuff? And, most importantly, does it “supress” these memories? Because it was seriously difficult for me to remember the hawk, but it was easy after I did it. What appalls me the most is that I usually have a really good memory.

Hey :smile:
your post made me remember an old topic.
Do incomplete thoughts become ND’s?
it only deals with half your post, so i didn’t merge.
But he mentions

I get dreams like that too, all the time. Random little things that happen during my day that I probably wouldn’t remember at all the next day end up being the plot of a really long, involved dream that night. I don’t know why it happens.

Yeah, I’d love to (if it can be done) get into a lucid dream and visit a past memory, or even better, visit a past event that I may not even remember…

Freud’s Interpretation of Dreams suggests a pretty similar theory. That a lot of the stuff in our dream tends to be stuff we saw but never really focused on, and he also specified that our dreams always had some reference to the previous day.