EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

Suppressed Memories?

Author  Message 
Rodrigo
Dream Collector
LD4all addict
Rodrigo has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 91!

Suppressed Memories?
PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2009  Reply with quote

Yesterday, at work, I saw a beautiful picture of a hawk, which I showed to my boss and a coworker. Nothing was mentioned later, and I pretty much forgot about it. This night I dreamed with a big eagle, which is kinda unlike for me, considering it was an American eagle. I mentioned the dream at work today and my boss said it was probably due to the hawk. But I couldn't remember the hawk! It seriously took me over a minute to actually even remember it.

Now this made me think: several dream signs come from stuff from our daily lives, but it seems that the stuff we pay the least attention to are the ones that go in dreams. What do you think? Does our SC pick the "forgotten" stuff? And, most importantly, does it "supress" these memories? Because it was seriously difficult for me to remember the hawk, but it was easy after I did it. What appalls me the most is that I usually have a really good memory.

moogle
1 LD to milestone !
Site Admin
moogle has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
LD count: 49 LDs so far

Hey colgate
your post made me remember an old topic.
Do incomplete thoughts become ND's?
it only deals with half your post, so i didn't merge.
But he mentions
rad wrote:
I will be going about my day when suddenly I think of something that sparks my interest(say a vivid memory or an imagined scenario), but that thought will be interrupted by an outside event(such as someone coming up to me and asking a question), the point being that I don't have time to finish the thought. That night however, I will usually have a dream that embodies or includes the main topic of the aforementioned interrupted thought..

Current LD goal(s): 6 LDs per year * ND goals - actively incubate interesting/fun dreams

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
kaybee2
Experienced Escapist
Somniologist
LD count: 3½
Location: Georgia, US...the mystical land of rednecks and pine trees. Fun....

I get dreams like that too, all the time. Random little things that happen during my day that I probably wouldn't remember at all the next day end up being the plot of a really long, involved dream that night. I don't know why it happens.

Winter Depths
Prince of Winter.
Dream Deity
Winter Depths has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 24

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009  Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd love to (if it can be done) get into a lucid dream and visit a past memory, or even better, visit a past event that I may not even remember....

Tomothy
Oneiromancer
Astral Explorer
LD count: A few

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009  Reply with quote

Freud's Interpretation of Dreams suggests a pretty similar theory. That a lot of the stuff in our dream tends to be stuff we saw but never really focused on, and he also specified that our dreams always had some reference to the previous day.

print