What Book Are You Reading? - Part VII

A Separate Reality by Carlos Castenada
Alice in wonderland
1984 by george orwell
blink by malcolm gladwell
a message to garcia by elbert hubbard
bram stoker’s dracula

i like to read many books at a time…don’t ask me why

Just finished the Waylander trilogy by David Gemmell. Excellent books. Very deep, very moving, very intense.
Right now though I’m in The Chosen by Chaim Potok. Pretty descent so far.

Hey, I finished reading it for the first time some months ago! high fives

I started Tolkien’s The Silmarillion, but I mysteriously stalled around 100 pages into it. Oh well!

Just started Autobiography of a Yogi. :happy:

I’ve been reading The Dresden Files by Jim butcher very good books, at the moment 10 are published, I’ve read 7 or 8 of them I think, it starts good and then it gets better.

I’m reading…
drum roll
Nightmares and Dreamscapes-Stephen King
Because horror is awesome.
It’s a series of short stories fyi.

I am now about to begin J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Silmarillion. Have any of you ever read it before? Is it good in your opinion? It is like the super-prequel to The Hobbit/LotR. :happy:

The books I’m reading right now are:
The Secret Life of Bees… I started reading it two years ago for school and I thought I might as well finish it. It’s a good book :smile:
Felidae by Akif Pirincci. Took me forever to find this book in English. Had to buy it used on amazon. It’s a great book, but I’m a bit slow reading it cus I disappointed myself when I realized I couldn’t read it in the original language, which is German… I don’t really speak a word German.
Psychology of Love by Freud… because… it impresses people…
Nah, I find it really interesting.

Silmarillion is good, but quite different from LotR…

Right now I’m reading Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson.

(Also The Zombie Survival Guide, SAS Survival Guide, Food for Free and Disaster Survivial…not at all on a survivalist reading rampage…)

So i really enjoyed Lullaby, ld4all, but Invisible Monsters is just a bit too much transgressionalism for me!

all the random sex and drugs, just for the sake of sex and drugs, it makes my head hurt sometimes :razz:

Yes, I have just noticed this. It is a very hard read. Basically, it seems to just spit the history of middle earth at you. A good read of you are a “nerd” for the series. It has been giving me so much more information. It shows the elves back when they were still as simple as humans, but it has no real storyline. Not very much entertaining, but very much informing and revealing. :smile:

I tried to read Silmarillion a couple of years back, but in Norwegian. I realized it wasn’t as good translated, but I wouldn’t be able to read it English.
So I haven’t tried again. Maybe one day. I have so many books to read now so will have to be later.

I just finished this excellent book by Matthew Stover. It was the most intense experience I’ve ever had. It left me shaking afterward. All I could do for half an hour was walk back and forth, having to lean on things just to stand up.

Let me put it this way: the events give Mace Windu nightmares.

Definitely a must read. Get it now.

right now i’m about halfway through Tolkien’s The Silmarillion. It’s not really difficult to read, although it reads kind of like the bible. very concentrated and reads slowish. i only know of three other people who have ever finished it: my dad, a chick from school, and my english teacher :smile: .

it’s not a very evocative book. doesn’t really get any emotion going in the reader. but it’s still interesting to read.

Prometheus Rising

The Lucifer Effect (Philip Zimbardo). The book is a fleshed-out version of a psychology experiment on how quickly and easily normal people can turn sadistic. It is … interesting.

In Nightmares and Dreamscapes, I just finished Dolan’s Cadillac. Now I’m onto The End of the Whole Mess. Neither are horror. One is a thriller, and the other is sci-fi.

Dolan’s Cadillac is going to be a movie coming out next month! Filmed in Canada too :tongue:

I’m reading “The Vampire Lestat” By Anne Rice, really good book, faster paced than the first and a really captivating read

Eat, pray, love - Elisabeth Gilbert.

“Day Watch” By Sergej Lukianenko <— That Series is Unbelievable :woo:

i recently finished reading the inheritance series (eragon, eldest, brisingr) and now i am reading a book my friend lent me called The Sorwed of Shanara, all 4 are fantasy/adventure