LD and sleep quality

I just heard about this lucid dreaming thing two days ago and I thought I’d give it a try. I have started a DJ, and I frequently do reality checks in real-life. I have one question though: I hate waking up to school etc. and I am often very tired. Will lucid dreams affect the quality of my sleep? Will I be more tired than usual after a night of lucid dreaming?

Not at all. If anything, you should feel more energized. That’s how it is for me. It’s just so exciting waking up after intense LDs that the energy usually carries out for a big part of the day for me.

LDs don’t affect your sleep quality, but your sleep quality can often affect your dream recall and possibly your ability to LD, so if you’re already constantly sleep-deprived you might see if you can work a nap somewhere into your daily routine. A second sleep period, in addition to obviously helping you get more sleep, gives you more chances to dream as well :smile:

I just wanted to add to the idea of sleep quality. Currently reading a book which changing my whole idea of sleep, by a Sleep doctor.

I do not want to get all preachy but sleep quality is a huge issue. I believe it’s why I have a lot of trouble lucid dreaming because sleep is seen as a kind of ‘prison.’ Krakow says that REM (Lucid stage) is regenerative and would be in a class of good sleep quality similar to stage 4 NREM, delta wave sleep, the best sleep! With good sleep quality, you approach the day with great energy and positive outlook, which should help on the quest for lucid dreaming preparation during the day.

A lot of lucid dreamers, talk about feeling revitalised after a LD so it makes a lot of sense that LD’s are on the same level as Delta wave sleep. Good luck on your quest, and your DJ!

From lucid dreams I get positive energy and that helps me to get trough the day, and sometimes when I’m doing full WBTB technique I don’t feel that I’ve slept less, it’s just somehow refreshing!