Do you have to flap when you fly in dreams.

I have dreams of flying everynow and then, I love them and wish I had them all the time but before I fly in my dreams I have to have a running start and then jump and start flapping my arms like a bird until I get lift and start to fly and then I just coast and glide flapping occasionally when I approach the ground to get higher up. Also in my dreams i’m the only person that can fly. Just curious if others out there have had the same experience.

I usually flap my “wings”/arms only in ND, in my first lucid i kind of just took off like superman though, if your problem is height just get on top of a building (make sure you do an extra RC just to be same though Ha ha) and jump off, and for the other people flying just tell them they can and they might just join you, or even ask a DC how to fly and they could teach you. and most of all WELCOME TO LD4ALL!! good luck too!!

You don’t have to do anything in lucid dreams.
Remember that.

I do not need to flap or anything…I just fly!

No wings, anything, just like that.
It’s just because I know I can.

It’s based on expectation.
If you really expect you can fly normally (and I don’t see why you wouldn’t) then you will.

Welcome to the forum :smile:

When I first read your post, I was going to write almost exactly what Lord Antares said. You don’t HAVE to do anything. :tongue:

I can usually fly “superman style” or (for the matrix fans) “Neo style”, where you just go!
Sometimes I will grow wings and use them, but even then I usually use them for gliding more than flapping. I only flap if I REALLY want to.
But I have a similar problem about the height thing. I usually need a ledge of some sort to jump off of. (Or window to jump out of) If it’s only a few feet, I sometimes struggle to get altitude.
Of course, I already know the answer, forget about it and JUST GO!

In my first LD, the first thing I did was fly. I was so happy to know I was dreaming, that I just flew (didn’t have a ledge, didn’t run…didn’t even jump). It was just a burst of energy. So maybe that’s your answer? Find a burst of energy, from joy or something. And don’t overthink it.

Hmm, I never need to flap my arms, but its a behavior that I have that if I fail to lift off I flap, but it doesnt help anything :tongue: its not before I let go of the effort that I reach the high altitudes, for me flying is as easy as walking after getting the realisation that Im dreaming.

And :welcome: to the forum btw :tongue:

I could never fly by flapping my arms. Each person finds a different technique which works for them, and it’s fun to experiment with different ways. I find it easier to fly without moving any part of my body, I just will it to happen and it does. It’s your dream after all.