Chaining - New Technique

Are you sure it wasn’t a lawnmower? If it was a chainsaw hopefully they’ll run out of trees soon. :smile:

Actually, I said the opposite, but it sounds like you figured that out already.

If it works, you should get a LD to write down instead of a boring old normal dream. The only time I have trouble is if I have too many LD’s (such a thing is possible) or if I fall back into a normal dream. For example, last night I had a bunch of LD’s, but I can only really remember the last one and little snippets of the others.

I think that is indeed the case.

I’ve been paying more attention to that black-floaty state, and I seem to do the following… Wait a few seconds. Look to my left, moving only my eyes, not my head, which causes me to feel like I’m spinning and getting dizzy. Keep it up for a few seconds and a dream starts.

I usually start back where the last dream left off, though that isn’t always the case for me.

No, no, no… The worst is when you’re in the middle of a LD and you
dream that your alarm clock has gone off…

I now think these are two different things. About 2 weeks ago I awoke from a dream, remembered not to move, and was floating around like usual. I then heard someone banging around in the house and that woke me up the rest of the way. The interesting thing was that I could actually feel my mind changing gears, switching from dream mode to awake mode.

Dunlar, it looks like your thread is experiencing a revival; I was surprised to go back and read it was originally posted in July. Now that I’ve used chaining from a non-lucid dream, I will try to work more on “programming” my mind not to open my eyes so quickly when I wake up. :cool:

I also agree with what you said about having too many LD’s and losing track of their details. I once began counting my chain LD’s while the LD was still going on and I think I either skipped a number or forgot an LD! :shy:

i saw this thread when looking through old ones, and thought it was pretty cool so i posted on it… and now it seems to have had a sudden burst of popularity :grin: well i didnt want it to die…

oh yeah, and does anyone think this would work if i’ve never had an LD before? or if it’s worth trying? cos when i get up then go back to bed i often can’t get back to sleep again.

I never used this technique until after I had LD’s for a long time. Of course, I didn’t even know what LD’s or WILD’s or anything were for a long time because I was a natural LD’er. But it’s worth a shot.

When “playing dead”, does it matter what sleeping position you are in?

Well not for me, i dont think postition matters.

When I wake up from dreams, I’m almost always on my back, which is funny because I can never fall asleep on my back…

If i set my computer to wake me up with a very gentle sound at 6’o’clock, so i i doesn’t get shocked, and start moving, do you think it’ll work then?

That’s tricky. I’ve never gotten my alarm clock to wake me up gently before.

With gently i mean a low-frequent humm, that only lasts 3-4 seconds… Just enough to wake you up, and remember to play dead.

It might work, it might not, but it shouldn’t hurt to try. When I do this, it’s like I’m floating between awake and sleep… What I’d be worried about is that the sound might make you awaken fully. (or you might sleep right through it…) Maybe it’d work better if you used a recorded voice saying “do not move”, starting at a low volume and gradually ramped up over 4 repetitions or so…

It would be nice to build some device to make this work better, as the problem is “how can I awaken without moving?” instead of “how can I make myself realize I’m dreaming?”. I was thinking a restraining harness might work, but I doubt it because your body will still tense its muscles and try to move… Which will probably ruin that floatie state. Plus it’d be trouble if the house caught fire…

So can anyone think of a device that might help the “how can I awaken without moving” problem?

Well, i tried it this morning. At 6’o’clock my computer played a 5 second long sound, with 3 low-frequent ‘hummmms’. I woke up, and remembered to stay in bed, but the sound was too long… I didn’t think very logical at that time, so i went up to stop it when the 2nd and 3rd ‘hummm’ came. I’ll try it again next morning with another sound. Maybe i just need to get into a habit, so i doesn’t get excited…

^ I agree. With a little practice I think I can learn not to move some of the time and enhance my chances of getting back to sleep.

Seems like a great method. After reading this post today i had nap and when i woke up i did it. So thanks for bringing it out. Gotta make habit of it. :smile:

Chaining with WILD is the only technique that has a 100% success rate for me. Thanks a lot for making me aware of it! :smile:

This method is even more powerful than I thought. Sometimes I can get back into a dream after being awake for a few seconds–even hearing things in real life.

I also find this to be the best method i have tried. its just like WILD except much easier. The only thing i find is that it has to be a very soft awakening where you are so drowsy that you could fall back asleep in a split second. so it works better for me in the middle of the night if i just wake up for some strange reason than it does at the normal time i would wake up. Also you have to have something to check that you are in a dream because lots of times i have done this. and got up out of my body and thought to myself “this cant be a dream, ive gotten up for real” and then woken up, its just so damn realistic. So i usually put my finger through my hand to check… just push it hard through the palm of your hand, and goes through and feels really cool :happy:

Does this method require wearing adult diapers to bed in case you have to pee? :tongue:

Most times when I awaken at night it’s because I have to go to the bathroom so not moving, I’m sorry dunlar, “chaining” would be a difficult task for me. I really have to stop drinking so much iced tea… :shy:

Can this work if you wake up from a normal dream, wanting to enter a lucid one, instead of exiting a lucid dream and back into another lucid?

I’m fully capable of waking up and continuing my dream, I can even shift around in bed and still continue where I left off. (Although I am new, and still kinda doubting the fact that there is someplace in this reality where I can do anything and everything hehe) What technique should I use after waking up from a dream, and about to continue it?