Flat Earth Society

When my friend first told me about this, i thought he was joking. But its true. There is a group of people who believe the earth is not round.
alaska.net/~clund/e_djublons … ociety.htm

yea…
these guys actually beleive the earth is flag.
My friend, who is on this forum as IdontDream, said that they should put the leader of the flat earth society on the next space shuttle xD

What do you guys think of this society of strange individuals?

One of their proofs was that since a person standing on the south pole remained attached to the world, the same pull of gravity should launch a person standing on the north pool far into outer space…

I was taught by Monty Python, that the world is banana shaped.

Those people are insane in my opinion. We have access to space, we’ve studied this for quite a while now, and I see no reason to disbelieve the world’s spherical shape.

Their “facts” are nonsensical, their reasons ludicrous. If earth was flat, then you could walk off the edge, instead of traveling around as we do.

Sometimes I lose faith in humanity. :neutral:

Edit: Read on after my first paragraph, I think I’ve found this isn’t a real group.

Yeah, I read their mission statement and proof, and they’re basically relying on logical fallicies. Example; if you’re from the north pole, gravity pulls you south. Therefor, if you go to the south poll and you’re from the north, you’ll float away into space because gravity pulls you south because your molecules have been aligned with the wrong magnetic force. After all, if you pour sand onto a beach ball, most of it falls off and only a few grains stick to the top. The same is true for the Earth and people. Obviously :meh: . It’s based on a faulty premise, but it’s logical to them because they accept it as true. A wonderful example of garbage in, garbage out.

Edit: But I’m beginning to think this is a hoax… for example:

It sounds like something that was written to be fascitious or a spoof. If it is real I’m starting to fear for my safety :scared:

And more proof of the hoax, if you go back to the parent directory it looks to be a resume of some sort of a computer science major. However, just when you thought humanity was safe, there is a real flat earth society at theflatearthsociety.org and they seem to be the more typical conspiracy nuts. They actually have some form of pseudo-scientific data. Still flawed, yes, and mostly based around the notion that all current astronomy is a cover up. I guess the first guy is making fun of them, but at least I know I’m not gonna get abducted and brainwashed…

Here i made a post on their own forums using their own proofs against them

theflatearthsociety.org/foru … ic=43280.0

Interestingly enough, they seem friendlier to newcomers than one might expect, as long as you’re friendly about it as well.

Someone should provide them a link to Google Earth download too :razz:

It’s like some of their members have said on the forums, you’re not going to convince them they’re wrong, they’re not going to convince you that you’re wrong. People will believe what they want to believe.

Ouch, you should have read my first post where I said that the first site wasn’t real.

well i posted before your first post. But it doesn’t matter much

Yeah, they all seem friendly enough. I think this topic and that forum are great examples of conspiracy theories and how people can become attached to them. 2012, we never landed on the moon, the government did 9/11, all run under the same vein of logic. You can’t disprove me, therefor it must be true.

The horizon, the Coriolis effect, the seasons, the magnetism of Earth, the angle discrepancies in triangulation, the midnight sun, the temperature differences, every single space report, or sea navigation log… I could think of a gajillion things that a FE theory could not sustain, and I was interested at first at how could they justify such claims.

But when you read this

or

You know you’ve hit the score.

But you see, tosxy, I (figuratively) have proof that makes sense to me, and anythign you try to show me is simply false. It’s false because of the conspiracy, and there’s a conspiracy because what you just showed me is false.

I have left nothing to do but bow at your flawless logic.
That, forget the site, and never mention it, ever again.

Guildenstern: Just a conspiracy of cartographers, then?

It’s funny to think any of these sites can be serious… It’s such a waste of brain power though. It doesn’t matter what you believe, but how you came to believe what you do. If we can’t think critically about our own worldview, what’s the point? :bored:

Maybe we should pay for them to fly to Australia and make them look out the window :grin:

Umm… Hi? What’s going on? I live on this island. It’s massive. There is water under it. We have real sand. I think it does exist… O___O

Ok I’m a little bit lost here, I thought the site was a hoax, at least I think that’s what Rhewin said

No really, there’s no more use for these people. A truth is harder to believe in the higher the cost to accept it will be. How many time, hope, and emotions have these users spent on the forum alone? They will never believe otherwise anymore, and will just bring up more conspiracy stuff every time something new is brought up, everything in their possibilities to stick to their own vision. For them, any attempt to open their eyes is just “another try to take and bring them back into the conspiracy”.

And FretDancer, the first site was a hoax, however subsequently Download has linked to a site of true believers, which was in no way related to the other site.

All of your proofs can be wiped off by them by only one stupid, unlogical and dumb sentence. The same thing happens when there is an atheist-christian debate. The Atheist dude tells a scientific proof, and the Christian just says that he has a better proof, 2 thousand years of tradition. Where is the logic in this?

A dumb man cannot convince a smart man because the smart man looks at the dumb man’s statements as dumb, and a smart man cannot convince a dumb man because the dumb man cannot understand smart man’s statements.

The brain is separeted in two parts, in one part you take ‘facts’ for granted and in the other part of the brain you think before taking ‘facts’. Now, a FES member is thinking with the “for granted” part of the brain, and the first thing you tell him is the truth for him, you cannot convince him of different, that ‘drawer’ where he keeps the information about geography is completely sealed.

When someone is convinced of something, the only thing that could tell them otherwise is themselves, or someone they would believe, which to someone on the internet, is usually non-existent. I say just let them believe what they want, and laugh at the absurdity of all conspiracy theories, whether be it flat earth or the moon landing (Mythbusters anyone?).