How can I stop having lucid dreams?

This is exactly it, not being able to slip away to Lala land.

Well, this is a contradiction, isn’t it?
How does it have the same thoughts when you would respond differently when you are lucid?
Running away and fighting the monster isn’t the same, obviously.

There is a big difference. In normal dreams, your mind is given certain things (that happened during the day) to process. If nothing relevant happened, your mind processes nonsense. It does not have to think and make somewhat important decisions. It just processes things during the state we call dreaming.

But when you are lucid, you are aware of that, and can change things at will. You can decide anything or make anything happen.

Having LDs irregularly doesn’t have that effect tho.

Well, I don’t know what your intentions were, but saying he’s ‘‘bullshitting’’ didn’t seem very friendly. OK if it wasn’t your intention, it just seemed so.

After all, he’s more familiar with his experiences than you are, and if he wakes up very tired after sleeping, the first logical thing to blame would be his sleep.

Cheers.

Obviously he is not, otherwise he would know how to deal with his lucid dreams and wouldnt be in such trouble to seek help here…but most of all…

I clearly mentioned its wrong to blame LUCID DREAMS for being so tired all day long, and if you look deeper into his message then its obvious why he probably is so tired during daytime:

“The problem is I can no longer get a decent nights sleep, I am plauged by lucid dreams and have at least 5 of them every night. The next day I wake up and feel like I haven’t had enough sleep.”

…he claims to have AT LEAST 5 (!!!) of them EVERY NIGHT, so when its right what he claims then he wakes up 5 times and falls asleep again to enter the next lucid dream, at least five times every night. Paradox! Because he first claimed he is lucid constantly and often sits around in his dreams to wait what happens, now if he wakes up so often then its not one constant lucid dream as he made it look like at first.

…man if i wake up at least five times during my sleep, and that every night, then i am exhausted and tired during daytime as well, but then i have to get more control over my lucid dreams so that i dont wake up five or more times and stay lucid during the whole night.

Anyway, if hes so expierienced with is lucid dreams as you claim that (you dont even know him personly but only the 7 posts he made here, so please try to stay with the obvious facts and not with his claims to be lucid constantly) he would have learned how to stay lucid so that he doesnt wake up 5 or more times during the night and then probably wouldnt be so exhausted anymore…but probably he has a weak bladder and thats why he wakes up so often from his “constant lucid dreams”

Familiarity does not equal skill.
We have guides and all the techniques here.

Depends on person’s views.
Some can have 5 different environments and situations without waking up and call it 5 different dream, while others consider them to be different only if they wake up in between them.

We even had a topic about it.

Even if it’s completely untrue that his lucid dreams are responsible, it’s his opinion and he thinks that they are even tho he could be wrong.
I don’t see how that’s ‘‘bullshitting’’.

After all, if he’s wrong or not does not matter to me that much, him getting the desired results does.

Love that. That’s just the thing we need in this world.

…now dont tell me your alarm-bells went off because i used the word “bullshit”.

Ok Obi-Wan, i understand…

…yes yoda…and i am an evil sith.

…easy fellas, i am not here to step onto anyones toes, i just have a certain way with words and while others are amused with that, others may feel offended, sorry for that. :smile:

My alarm bells did not go off because that word is considered to be swearing, but because of it’s meaning.

It’ all OK :smile:

I hope you don’t ‘‘step on anyone’s toes’’ in the future, I’m sure you will find this to be a nice place.

This is the first time I’ve ever seen anyone ever want to stop having lucid dreams. I would consider trying something else other than getting rid of them beforehand first.

Guys,

I thought I would just post back here as I have a friend who like me also suffers from sleep paralysis and totally messed his head up with lucid dreams.

I did find a cure for this in the end, I now have to take antidepressents to sleep. I haven’t had a lucid dream in years now and the dosage I take is very low.

I still sometimes get sleep paralysis but no more lucid dreams. I either wake up or just fall straight to sleep and have normal dreams.

I don’t know what all these terms you guys use, for me a lucid dream is one where you are awake and control the dream, whereas a normal dream is one where you are asleep and it’s like watching a movie.

I still think you are all crazy for wanting to have lucid dreams, it burns your brain out! The fact that you feel pain in these lucid dreams should be enough to put people off. I remember once faling off a building in a lucid dream and was in absolute agony.

How is it possible to suffer from SP? It is a natural function of the human body which prevents you from moving physically while dreaming, thus preventing you from hurting yourself. And lucid dreams shouldn’t be messing anyone up, they are fun and should be admired, not feared.

Do you take medicine in order to prevent you from lucid dreaming? Do I understand right? Usually people used various products in order to get more lucid dreams. It seems that your understanding of lucid dreams is wrong. They are not dangerous. They are, in fact, supposed to be fun.

You could use the SP to enter a lucid dream by applying a technique called WILD. You’re missing out a lot.

Not exactly. A lucid dream is a dream where you are aware of the fact that you are dreaming. Dream control is not included in the definition of lucid dreams, since you don’t need to be able to control the dream in order for it to be considered a LD. And you are not exactly “awake”. You are still asleep. To explain it simply, it’s the conscious part of the brain which makes you lucid. Usually the conscious part is inactive during sleep, but it may become active, thus resulting in a LD.

No, it doesn’t burn anything out. I advice you to look at threads named like “Does LD’s enhance you life?”. Lucid dreaming is an extraordinary experience and it does not hurt you any more than normal dreams do. Everything is the other way - lucid dreams do infact make your days BETTER, and they do no harm whatsoever. You are misinformed and your facts are false.

You don’t have to feel pain. All the feelings in dreams are formed by our expectations. If you clear your mind and accept the fact that it’s a dream, you won’t feel any pain, unless you desire to.

I would advice you to take up lucid dreaming. It is a beautiful experience. If you reject it as something horrifying or dangerous, I feel sorry for you, since, as I said, you’re missing out something spectacular.

Really weird topic, as most people would kill for what the author of this thread has… :smile:

By suffering from SP, I think he meant while he is awake.

I remember this topic, read it from the beginning, this guy has done more in lucid dreams than any of us. I can see how someone would want to rest from it after having every dream be lucid for all his life.

You kind of missed his point, he knows it’s not dangerous, he just wants to rest from them as he feels they tire him :content:

Well, obviously he is a natural Lucid dreamer. You can’t do much about that. You need to accept this and enjoy it. Dream possibilities are endless. There would be no reason to try to get rid of them. And I did understand that he was conscious during SP, but the fact that he can use it to get another nice LD makes me wonder why does he suffer.

Well, the point is, he doesn’t want to use to enter a lucid dream. He’s full of them. If you read his previous posts, he says he’s become tired every time he wakes up because he cannot have a single normal dream.

I can understand how having LDs occasionally can even refresh you more than LDs, but having to be conscious every night multiple times? If he says it’s tiring, I will believe him.

Tho, imagine his potential in the lucid lab. He could test everything.

Hmm a problem which is not a problem for us but a miracle… It is really interesting it’s like that guy, after he get hit by a ball he is able to remember everything …
Four us it’s like having super power ability, and be tired of them is like Peter paker in the 2nd movie.

I don’t know if it is possible, but if there are techniques to increase awareness, there should be some to decrease it… :happy:

cantsleep, you should seek to make use of it, instead of trying to getting rid of it. Do you not know all you could do? I’m not a lucid dreamer yet, but I think it’s like you were God in a LD. If you are bored, do not be. Turn it wonderful. Make it the most amazing experience of your life, by the simple power of will. Don’t you know meditation? Just become amazed by the settings around you. Excite yourself. Look for image streaming. Expand your mind. Improve your talents. Discover new sensations. Become inspired. Find the universal love, be part of nature, explore out of your ego. Take a trip, through all your memories, find the most dear to you, try to get that sensation from your lucid dream. Don’t waste your gift. See beyond. I hope I could get through to you, I hope you find the light of your own. Good luck, goodbye.

I’d like to echo Iago’s sentiments. There are always things to do, and if you want to relax, going along with the dream plot works as well.

Oddly enough, you’re not the only person I’ve seen with this ‘problem’. Even feeling drained by it. I can’t imagine why that is. There is nothing different about a lucid dream and a non lucid dream other than the awareness, but I’ve seen maybe 2 other people come on irc and mention the very same thing.

The concept of being bored with lucid dreams also puzzles me. I lucid dream every night/dream. To be bored of being aware would be like being bored of being awake. The productive thing to do would be to practice waking life skills and work out issues, but at least you found a solution that works for you.

Sorry but lucid dreaming you can actually be in controll, thus controll the pain and take it away.

other than that? SP is natural, you do it every time you go to sleep. just because you feel it while you are awake does not mean you are going to die. end of story it is not bad for you, hope you get better on your hope to end LDing :wink:

Actually, I have this problem too.

For me, the problem is that I have chronic anxiety and a bunch of other mental health issues that cause me to experience derealisation on a daily basis.

When I heard about lucid dreaming after I decided to look up the cause of my occasional sleep paralysis, I thought it sounded way cool and decided to try basic techniques-- no conscious attempts, just reality checks and keeping a dream diary.

The reality checks kind of helped my derealisation at first, but the problem is, it seems like I’m just extremely good at lucid dreaming? I never had a LD a day in my life before about a week ago, I had my first one within a day of doing reality checks, and now I can’t stop having them. I’ll be dream-arguing with my mother and be like “Well, it’s because I’m dreaming!” and then it turns lucid. I’ll jump, fly, and realise I’m dreaming, or be in an unfamiliar room and realise I’m dreaming, or be reading a book and realise I’m dreaming, etc etc…

And it makes me have way more false awakenings-- I already get them a fair amount but now it’s every time I try to wake up. Every time I dream I get false awakenings. Every time an outside stimulus disturbs me, false awakenings.

This might be totally awesome for mentally healthy people, in fact I’m sure a lot of you would be super jealous? And I can’t say it isn’t cool, deciding that I’m just going to fly over to a castle, or that those nightmare Nazgul are now under my control, or that I’m going to teleport somewhere and interview my novel characters. I’ve confronted several nightmare figures and had some really positive responses.

However, I’m worried that, being schizotypal, I’m going to start hallucinating or getting headaches and migraines if I keep doing this, which is something I’ve seen other schizotypal LDers report. Or that my sleep paralysis is going to stop being just “oh, can’t move”, it’s going to turn into full-blown waking nightmare stuff. Or that I’m just going to lose my grip!

The problem is, I’m mentally ill. It doesn’t make me less competent, less able to make decisions, or ~crazy~, it just means that I can’t do some things that other people do. And this is really fucking with my sense of reality, which is already super tenuous. It’s not a nice feeling. I’d really like to close this can of worms now.