Do you support making of a lucid game?

Please do not post in this thread. Go here:
https://community.ld4all.com/t/game-is-this-reality/34135/1

Piece,
Beat! :wink:

Me support. ^^ I too had some ideas for a LD Game in draft.

From what I understand you want a sidescrolling platformer, huh? Well, all I can tell you is that colourfull graphs don`t make up for it. It is hard, but you have to experiment with visuals and the feeling of the game to make people think that they are actually in a dream.

Also maybe export some elements from real LDing, like RC`s and stuff. :smile:

Oh, and make it maybe really interactive. :smile:

Sounds really cool. I support this.

No, no, no. It will be an adventure game. Have you ever played Broken Sword or Monkey Island?
If not - an adventure game is a game with much riddles and thinking, and it does not focus much on battle and gameplay, only story and riddles.
I have to think a little bit more about the graphics. One thing I do know is that it will be pixel art (Scroll down to pixel art) and it will be emotional-changing, as your character switches different emotions, both his dreams and ingame graphics change.

Of course, that is one of the main purposes of the game - education about lucid dreaming.

Thats my first thought about the game - full interactiveness and nonlinearness. You change the storyline as you go through the game - each time you play the game from the beggining, it will probably be different than the last time you played.

Sorry about grammar (its late in my country),
Beat! :meh:

Im supporting this :grin: looking forward to see this game :cool:

This is an absolutely amazing idea, Beat! If you need a hand, just let me know! I used to be a huge fan of RPGMaker and user-created games. Never used AGS, but they say it’s great!

AND, I’m a big fan of Adventure Games! I got three MI posters in my room right now lol

Thanks dudes. @Lucho: I have some experience with RPGMaker too… :razz:

Anyhow, I’m having problems with the start of the game (or should I say the dream? :razz: ) . Any suggestions about the initial story are welcome (yes, I will include you guys in the credits if it ever gets finished :happy: ).

Have any of you ever played the game Braid? For me it is one of the better games out there and for my personnally has a strong connection to lucid dreaming. If you’re talking about riddles and puzzles it’s one of the best games there is and it could be a good inspiration.

Anyway I think you’ve got a great idea and I would fully support. I’m not good at gamemaking or ever gaming myself but I have done some work with Gamemaker and I worked on a project as graphic designer and music designer. I’m absolutely not an expert or anything but If you would need some help I’d be happy to.

I do know that you will carefully have to look into everything; gameplay, levels, missions, graphics, art, music and sound to create a certain atmosphere or idea behind it all.

absolutely do this!

simply great.

To the question about the games` beginning.
I think there are some more aspects to talk about before this.
Is the game supposed to consist of one single Dream? Or several of them?
Is there one goal to finish the game? Or a great amount of possible goals?
Is the Player supposed to develop his (ingame) lucid abilities during the game?
Will the game consist of LDs only? Or are also some sort of NDs possible?
Can the player wake up? Is the game also about trying to become lucid?

Because I don`t have a real idea of the possibilities, I would like to know what can be programmed. Is some sort of randomly produced dreamplot possible? Or in how far is it possible to give the player the ability to alternate/change the dream?
Btw the thing about changing emotions is a great idea!

mmh I just wrote down what came to my Mind, hope it helps with some things.
I am open to give feedback to you or discuss things or develop some ideas to support you, as I don´t know much about designing/programming/music.

May the force be with you.
:grin:

Wait… DAMN! Think about flying :notify:

This sounds like a great idea, I support it!
I’d like to know more about the game – like the questions that TheChris asked above.

This is great! :happy: I’d like to help but I make games in C++, not in some game maker program. I’m currently working on a platformer too :tongue: .

@Chris:
Basically, every few levels there’s a new dream, but not once you wake up until the end of the game. This is because there will be dreams within dreams, scene transitions, FAs and such. This gives the game a complicated touch.

Every level has its own goal, either it is to solve a riddle or just pass to another level, or something else.

You will be lucid near the beggining of the dream, but you will choose to listen up to DCs because you find their stories interesting, and you think its just you speaking with yourself.

The beggining of the dream will be most likely be a ND, and it will be an introduction to the rest of the dream.

So the game is not about becoming lucid, its about exploring the dreamworld. The game will feature some information about lucid dreams so thoes who have never heard of lucid dreams get interested in it.

@Ruben: Again, this is not a platformer. This is an adventure game. Adventure games are based on stories and riddles or puzzles, not on gameplay like platformers. So, they can be easily made with game makers.

this sounds great, definitely do it man that would be awesome, have you started on it yet?

ok this sounds good.

I would think about the essential story before figuring out the beginning exactly, so some basic aspects of the dream can be present in the beginning. Any Ideas?

A strict story would make the game linear. I have think of the beggining in the meantime, but I’m not going to post it here since I want to leave you guys something to discover in the demo.

However, if you guys have ANY suggestions about levels ingame, or anything else, I’ll be happy to take them in consideration.

Hmmm… Your right, you don’t want to make the game to linear. You could do something like this;

Each level contains levers, knobs, things to collect and you can reach different places by doing these in a certain pattern or order, so one level could take you to a number of different levels depending on how you solve the puzzle for this level. This would create a sort of maze through the levels as you try to find the prize at the end (ultimate lucidity, points, pie? Something…).
To make variety between the levels you could add different possibilities of lucid dreaming to each level; in one you can fly, in the other you can transform (different forms allow you to go through different doors or locks?) or change time and do magic. Messing with gravity, time or simply the controls is in general a nice trick to keep a game interesting.

Again these are just some ideas… you decide if they are good…

The game is going to be something like a maze, like you described. I thought of that in the first place, but I didn’t describe it well. I don’t know about lucid abilities, because its kinda hard to make a gameplay feature in a game that actually has no gameplay (I said it two times earlier -.-). The time is going to be complicated by itself, cause the game is a dream itself, and we all know how time can be ‘messy’ in dreams. Gravity on some levels will be changed too.

Again, every level will have its own features. Lets say you’ll find a lil pill in one level, and when you drink it, you can fly and reach things that you can’t reach by just walking, and you get closer to solving the puzzle by flying.

Guys this is cool , and I mean it , especially the idea that every level is a dream .

I’m in! I’ll PM my Mail :smile: