Current Wings Quest 132
2020 Vision

Is this sleep paralysis starting?

Author  Message 
arne saknussemm
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Wed 15 Dec, 2010  Reply with quote

Yes, I see the room around me and hear noises too. But those noises are coming from the waking world. Not from the dreaming world. Hearing things and seeing things that aren't from the waking world is a different matter.

Little Fox, go to Wikipedia and look up "sleep paralysis."

Moonwalk?

Little snowfox
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 1

Wikipedia is not the same as a number of different books on sleep and such. But I know what is written there as well. And I know SP can be very scary when it goes together with scary hallucinations. It can also go together with stuff that is not scary, depending on the state of the mind probably, just like with nightmares.

But I stop with this discussion smile since I do not know what your experiences are. I understand that you yourself strongly had very scary experiences and I understand that this is what you want to warn me about. Which is ok of course, thanks for that.
I am actually a person that tries to only experiment when I have a clear mind and an overal restfull feeling. I usually quite careful.

Last edited by Little snowfox on Wed 15 Dec, 2010; edited 2 times in total
arne saknussemm
Somniologist
Somniologist

It's happened to me enough times that I know that the account in Wikipedia is correct in all particulars. It's very well researched too.

Little snowfox
Somniologist
Somniologist

I understand your experiences where like that.

Beat Doctor
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
LD count: 10

arne saknussemm wrote:
Yes, I see the room around me and hear noises too. But those noises are coming from the waking world. Not from the dreaming world. Hearing things and seeing things that aren't from the waking world is a different matter.

I told the lady to follow your advice and try to experience sleep paralysis.

Moonwalk?

No, no, no. Thoes noises are coming from the dreaming world too for me. I don't find it scary at all. I repeat, I experience this almost every time I go to bed drowsy. It is not sleep paralysis. I have felt real sleep paralysis. Its way different.
This is just an entrance to SP.

@Little snowfox: Yes, I tried to describe the difference between going-into and going-out SP to a friend of my few days ago. I never experienced going-out SP tho.
You haven't experienced going-into this time I think.. Its something like gravity is growing.. And it starts from your legs.. Going up and up. Once it comes to your chest, you start to breathe hardly. Then I started to breathe fastly and deeply to get out of it (I didn't know what I must do to induce LD from that state).
It did include HI's and HS's, but they weren't that scary. I experience both HI's and HS's every night (literally here, every night).

And two last thing to say before going to bed:

1. Anything related to dreams differs from a person to person.
2. If your mind's clear, you won't be afraid of hypnagogic sounds nor hallucinations.

Current LD goal(s): Visit outer space, summon the first lucid dreamer.
Little snowfox
Somniologist
Somniologist

Hey again beat doctor,
cool that you talked about the difference between going into / going out of, as well. Its very different.
For me, in this experience (the one the topic started with) it was also not that scary. Only the door slamming shut gave me a bit of a shock, but it would have if I had been normally asleep as well. For the rest it was just calm voices and odd music and colours happening.
And the tingly feeling, that indeed did start at the legs and went up. And indeed I really noticed the difference in breathing which made me wonder about if I was breathing ok or not. But all together it was ok.
Interesting that you have HI`s and HS`s every night, it must have happened a lot already then.

Another question.
When you are in SP, is it possible for you as well to end the SP quite quickly when you will it to stop? Just curious about how others experience this. For me it takes some seconds, but not extremely long. I would not enjoy it if it takes very long, but I imagine that when the mind is really awake, and stress is happening.. the body wakes itself quite quickly.

Beat Doctor
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

Yes, sorry then, it was SP, I didn't know what "tingling" mean (my native language is not english).
And not to be mistaken, HS's that I get are not cool calm voices, but its like somebody takes two pieces of metal and hits one against another. So its just annoying. sadblauw
But HI's can be very nice, inspirative for art. Sometimes I find myself in short scenes similar to dreams.

And yes, the one time I got SP I got out of it very quickly. In a second or two. The thing is that at first I didn't want to get out of it.

ARGHH.. I really need to go to sleep now,
bye!

mattias
Globahead
Globahead
mattias has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

PostPosted: Thu 16 Dec, 2010  Reply with quote

arne saknussemm wrote:
Wow. A lot of erroneous statements there.

First of all, I completely disagree. And no need to throw it in people's faces like that, is there In the previous post, Beat Doctor did correct himself in regards to it being SP or not. I'm still not sure, myself. Tingling and/or vibrations come before SP for me. So I don't think we can be sure about that.

Quote:
She saw the room around her and was hearing noises. That's sleep paralysis.

I've had HI and HS many times without being in SP too. They all usually come together, but not always. In the same way I've had SP many times with no hallucinations at all.

Quote:
And it can be frightening enough that someone with a weak heart could definitely have a heart attack duing it. And it can leave a person a nervous wreck for days. So no, it's not harmless.

I see your point, alhtough I doubt someone could have a heart attack from it. I'm sure you'd snap out of SP if you got even remotely close to that. SP does happen every single time we dream, it is a deffence mechanism as Little snowfox said. I do understand though that SP can be very frightening for some people (spoecially if they don't know what it is), but it can be great too.

Quote:
As far as sleep paralysis leading to LDs -- I've experienced both a lot of times, and that's never happened to me. I think a lot of the people who think they have have sleep paralysis are just experiencing WILDs, and not actually SP.

I've entered a LD from SP a few times. Usually as bit accidental, but so are most of my WILD's Many people have done so too. I do agree that many people think they are in SP when they aren't, specially beginners. I've had many WILD's without consciously experiencing SP too, but even so, I was in SP or I would have woken up as soon as I tried to move (which has happened as well a few times lach1)

Quote:
As far as I know, SP can't be "induced."

I guess it can be induced in the same way as WILD's are, just holding on to awareness as you fall asleep. Focusing on your body might help, since if you get lost in HI it's more likely you don't feel the SP kick in (in my experience, at least!).

Quote:
Anyone who has really experienced it never wants to experience it again.

Completely untrue, sorry wink I've had SP many times and love it even if I don't manage to enter a LD. 99% of my SP's aren't scary at all. The few that are I simply face as if saying "I'm not scared of you" and the fear fades away. Even while the fear fades it feel like a "fake" kind of fear, as I truely know nothing there can hurt me.

Quote:
Sleep paralysis is just about the last thing I'd advise anyone to monkey around with.

I understand you have had your experiences and you are more that welcome to have your opinions, but please stop doing this. New people might really give it all up and SP can be an increadibly awesome experience, unless the person has all these ideas of how terrible it can be, or course. It's like being bit by a dog when you were a kid and tell everyone you know to never ever buy a little puppy sadblauw

Sorry for the wall of text!

arne saknussemm
Somniologist
Somniologist

All right. You guys have convinced me. Everyone should go ahead and try to experience sleep paralysis.

Beat Doctor
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

The last text is of Mattias is something I've been trying to say all the time. Saying that SP is the worst thing in world might fear some people off. It can be both the worst and the best experience you will experience. Like I said, when it comes to anything connected to dreams is it differs from person to person.

arne saknussemm
Somniologist
Somniologist

Everyone should try to experience it.

Otherwise how can they know how wonderful it might be?

RODDERS790
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 2

I want to do EVERYTHING!!! arne says not to or you cant do

watch him tell me not to shoot myself eh

Current LD goal(s): to stay in a LD
zenahr
DEEP SLEEPER
Novice dreamer
LD count: 2-3

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010  Reply with quote

i think you guys are talking about the "old hag" and not about an WILD induced SP?

Current LD goal(s): play the violine
Beat Doctor
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010  Reply with quote

old hag simply is SP, with some hallucinations.

print