peoples faces

well i was watching the TWILIGHT ZONE and they had an episode that put a thought into my head and i want to hear wat you all think about it.
When we dream do we make faces for people or do we pt faces on people from our real life

:eh:

Most likely it’s people that you’ve seen in real life. You may not have had any recollection of seeing this particular person, but a simple glance can make the image seep into your subconscious. Whether it be from a source such as TV, Internet, etc, it’s possible to dream about that particular person.

I’m not sure if it’s possible to make someone up whom you haven’t seen before unknowingly.

Great question, railking :smile:
No. I believe the people we see in our dreams are those we have seen at some point of our lives. Whether it’s somebody from real life or on TV, our subconscious mind remembers every face we see. This means there is probably an unlimited source of faces from which to generate every time we dream. Our mind also does a bit of ‘mix and match’. Like this pair of eyes goes with that lips etc, otherwise there won’t be any room for creativity and imagination.

I still find it hard to believe that our mind can make up whole worlds in a dream, but not a new face. On the other hand, maybe those made up worlds are also just made of a collection of items in our memory that were being placed together to create a new environment.

Many people base these worlds off preference or even using elements that they’ve seen in, say, fantasy or sci-fi movies.

People, on the other hand, are usually generated by someone you’ve glanced at. I would find it hard to consciously conjure up a face I’ve never seen before. Even if I did, my mind would probably base it on elements I’ve previously seen in others (if that makes sense at all :content:).

i heard somewhere that our minds are incapable of generating new faces and that eveyones face in a dream is one we have seen in real life. my source most likely wasnt reliable, so it is probably that the information came the episode of the twilight zone you are talking about.

i guess what you would need see is if you can generate a completely new face in your mind.

i feel like if this is true for faces, then it would have to be true for everything else that we create in our minds.

Kinda old topic here, but I better vent here than create a new topic just for that purpose :lol:

I’ve read in so many places (mainly in those “10 things you didn’t know about dreams” pages) that we ONLY dream with faces we’ve seen before. Not only do I find it hard to believe, as BeRightBack put it “I still find it hard to believe that our mind can make up whole worlds in a dream, but not a new face”, the part that bugs me the most is how the hell can you prove such a thing!? :nuu:

I mean, I don’t know, I could be wrong, and I rarely remember faces in my dreams anyway :tongue: But it’s just something that really bugs me! :shy:

I agree with you on that one, mattias.

I have had dreams where I distinctly saw a stranger’s face. A few times there was even enough interaction between us for me to study his/her face and remember it for the whole day afterward. And after that, it would always bug me where or if I had seen that face before. I always wanted to debunk this myth…but just as it’s nearly impossible to prove, how the hell do you DISPROVE it, too!? By the time you are 20, you’ve probably seen half a million (or more) faces, either IRL, on TV, or in photos!

The only evidence I can really use to support to the minds ability to create faces is the question “Why would your subconscious store faces to use at random ages later when you can’t even remember IF you had seen that person before?” Also, I think logic dictates “The mind has the ability to create vast landscapes with intricate details, therefore a face should not be difficult to create.”