Chaining - New Technique

That’s the idea :happy: Try to focus on the intention and the meening of the words. and don’t get discouraged if it doesn’t work the first night.

although saying something like “stay still” instead of “not moving” should work better since the SC understands positive suggestions better. What I do is I say it 3 to 5 times in my mind and then simply FORGET about it and try to go to sleep.

yea jus say a mantra like that…it works for me

Thanks, I tried it last night, but while it did not work, I did remember five NDs. I’ll try it again tonight.

This is an approach I am currently mastering. Got two WILDs during previous week. There are three keys:

1. You have to wake up without moving, or if moved stop yourself fast.
  2. You have to be either one who go asleep fast, or be somewhat tired.
  3. You need to try different things after waking up without moving to find out the best one for you. For example, FILD is one of the tech you may try, or “cellphone” tech, when you imagine cellphone or other object in your hand - there plenty of techs to make fast WILD.

I’ve found that meditation really helps. One thing that helps me chain is being able to totally clear my mind and simply focus on entering the dream with NO distractions.

Yeh this works pretty well for me, I just say before I go to sleep over and over again (until I actually fall asleep) “I will wake-up after my dream and stay still” or something similar and most of the time I will wake-up after a dream and stay still for only a few seconds and it will work. I don’t really feel anything, just one minute I’ll be in my bed and the next minute I’ll be in a dream!

and i thought i\ve discovered a new technique 4weeks ago :angry: but it’s a good technique, it takes me about 10 secs to enter a dream :thumbs:

How funny to find this topic! I just registered in this forum to post this, about whether I had a lucid dream or not, and after reading this, I realized I used this technique without even knowing about it.

I tried to WILD before going to bed, but it didn’t work. Then I had a dream about it, woke up, and decided to try again. And it worked (apparently it was an OOBE), but just for a few seconds. I actually remember NOT moving between my first dream and the next. But I had no actual reason for waking up, it was a total accident. I’m not sure how to do it again or if it would work with an alarm. But I’ll definitely give it a try.

It is a lovely name. I think I have done something similar all my life. All the books on dreaming I read said to try to rehearse what you had just dreamed before you move at all in the morning, then after you’ve gone over and over it/them, you will be able to remember and write down the dream(s). But I noticed in doing that, I often went back to sleep, sometimes back into the same dream, and often went lucid. If I dream enough, I get where I can just remember back the strongest dream I’ve had lately as I lie down to sleep, and that dream image will transport me back to that dream, and actually back into lucid dream land, quick as a wink. But I’m rusty these days, as I’ve not tried much in the last 10 years. Still can go lucid usually, if I get enough sleep!

Hy everyone!

I succeed with this technique… At first I thought it wouldn’t work because when I waked up from a previous dream I opened my eyes, but I believed that I can succeed and then I repeat my mantra and I visualized myself in a dream, so it’s basically MILD technique.

And what’s great about this chaining is that, after just a few seconds I was in another dream, but conscious that just a few seconds ago I wake up, so I was definitely sure that I’m in another dream, and that this must be a dream…

So I was in my backyard, and I have this huge garage and as in many other dreams I would fly on the roof, which is every time different from a real roof… So then I was 100% sure that this is a dream, but still, I check my fingers, and of course there was 7 fingers… And the story goes on…

It’s definitely a good technique, but with more practice, it’s gonna be even more great. Sorry if is post to long! :smile:

Cheers! :happy:

Now I know that my first method actually has a name xD
Tnx for posting!

I use SP to get into my LD. Does anyone knows how to cause a SP more frequently? :smile:

I used to practice dream chaining a while back. From what I remember, it worked when I woke up very abruptly. It was a special kind of awakening. I’m trying to recall what precisely was going in my mind as I woke up like that. A momentary shift of awareness from the dream world into the waking world is all that’s needed for the dream chaining. However, I often find myself to awaken gradually and groggily, rather than instantly and snappily.

A few examples:
-An annoying dream where I just “Quit” to find myself in the waking world, then imagining another scene and seeing it envelop me. After a few seconds I could gently move my fingers in the dream in front of me. When I felt they were solid enough, I moved my dream body and fully entered the dream.

-After an end of a lucid dream, where the imagery became so unstable that I just forced myself awake and aware, feeling the bed around me. This is when I “chained” another lucid to the first one. However, after 3-5 chaining attempts the LD became so long that it was pretty hard to recall the beginning.

This technique is so great, it removes all anxiety about lucid dreaming, it is almost guaranteed that over the course of a 8-10 hours of sleep you will have a LD with this technique. The bad thing is that it made me too lazy to practice other techniques, so when i couldnt chain, I effectively lost my ability to LD…

Hey guys, just wanted to contribute an idea I had this morning during a LD.
This technique has worked for me quite a bit in the past, though i’ve always struggled to realise that I was dreaming and to remain still so that i can chain onto another dream.
So I had a look on the android app market and found a free alarm clock (Alarm Clock Extreme free) which allows for a customisable alarm.
Essentially what I want to try and do is to set a small ‘prompt’ alarm an hour before i regularly get up at 7:45. This alarm is just like a bleep or a quiet sound that lasts for just 2 seconds which is sufficient to wake me up, but not totally. Also it doesn’t require me to get up and turn it off, it’ll turn its self off.
Also I would have to train my self to recognise that sound and to remain still (rather than jumping out of bed).
I’m just gonna set it for the next few weeks and see how well it works. :smile:

Good luck with it, it sounds like that could work quite well. On a side note, if you find you have a hard time falling asleep after the alarm goes off you can also try to keep moving the time back until you find something that works :content:

I’m using a similar tool like that. It does work, but for me it has two flaws:

• after just a few nights the short alarm didn’t wake me up anymore (even when I changed sounds and volume).
  • When I did wake up it often takes me some time to become conscious enough to remember not to move. At that time I already moved a lot and chaining fails.

As a result chaining only has been a great tool for me to induce more lucid dreams, in situations that I consciously awoken from a previous LD. I’m still trying to improve my methods though.

I think essentially having a coherent sleep pattern works well, since i know that around an hour before i typically get up i’m in a dream stage. This is because i have woken up around there before in the past and noticed i had woken from a dream, so i can almost gurantee if this works i’ll have , at most, an hours LD every single morning.

I found that this morning of my first try. It simply woke me up abruptly and i had moved too much before i realised i had to stay still. I’m going to keep the alarm the same way for the next week. After that I might change it to a gradual volume increase, over like 10 seconds possibly? so that it gradually wakes me up slowly and i’ll move less?
I think the key there is to train the brain to recognise the tone. For example, pretending to be asleep and have it go off and to re-enact future intentions, but to also use auto-suggestion alongside to consolidate it further.
Also to avoid the body getting used to the noise, I could possibly change the alarm sound/tone to something different. Though from what you mentioned that might not help. I’ll have to see how it goes in the next few weeks.

May sound like a complicated way of achieving chaining, but unfortunately when i wake up from a dream, it is typically at the end of the dream cycle. This doesn’t really allow for much time within the LD in the next chained dream. Also unless the dream was lucid, it’s extremely difficult to remember to remain still, like you mentioned.

What might help is play the sound a couple of times before going to bed and each time you play the sound visualize yourself waking up and remembering you must not move. This can create a link in your brain between an input (sound) and desired reaction (stay still). I’ll try it myself as well tonight.

Yeah that’s hopefully the desired outcome :smile: Though this morning i woke up before my alarm went off so I couldn’t really try today (I’m ill atm so sleep patterns are a little crazy atm). Though even when the sound went off I was still moving, so I think i still need some more brain training.

I did hear the alarm twice this time and remembered to lay still, but I had the feeling the alarm went of after a REM-cycle. In the middle of a dream I dont seem to notice the alarms yet.

On to part 2!