Anything negative about Lucid Dreaming?

moved from suggestions feedback forum

Yeah, like the topic says, is there anything bad or negative about LD?. :confused:

There may be some drawbacks that come with lucid dreaming, however; I think that really depends on your situation and how you respond to it.

#1: If you become too excited whilst in a Lucid Dream, you will sometimes wake up very abruptly. This can be annoying if you wake up at 2:43 AM from a lucid dream on a school night. However, once you become better at lucid dreaming, you will find that this won’t happen nearly as often.

I often have the best lucid dreams on the weekends because of this.

#2: Dream recall - If you wake up from a ND or a LD and start journaling it or recording it straight away, you will have less of a chance to forget the LD(s)/ND(s) by the time you get up. If you don’t journal or record your dreams, you may wake up from a lucid dream having no recall of what happened in it whatsoever.

I write down my dreams on my iPod Touch because of this.

Hope this helps!

Well,

None that I can think of. :bored:

I cant think of any either. To me, that’s like asking “Is there anything negative about being aware during the day?” It’s just awareness! :content:

I can’t think of anything really. Even being lucid in a nightmare can have it’s benefits.

I don’t know about you guys, but when I lucid I tend to be attacked by my dream =p
I’m new to this, I got lucid first time in march, since then I got lucid 5~6 times, and in all of then I got attacked by my dream. Guess I just need to learn to controll then better.

I red in polish book about downsides of LDing. First one can happen when you trying to control every aspect of your dream including DC, it can affect how do you treat people IRL (It can made you more dominative or aggressive). 2nd one i remember was about psychic diseases, what I mean is LD can lead to deeper neurosis or depression. There was more, cant really remind now. Anyway, anyone who’s suffering from psychic diseases should contact his psychotherapist and ask if LDing is safe for him.

I can’t come up with anything negative either. And if someone manages to come up with something it would be nothing compared to the positive effects :smile:

Similar to what cytariel said, the only times I have seen people have RL issues is when they already had some form of preexisting mental condition. If you’ve had a mental disorder such as paranoia or schizophrenia you may want to consult a doctor. Other than that, the sky’s the limit :content:

Is it still a nightmare then?
I’ve started LDing 2 years ago, almost certainly because of a repeating nightmare. While that same nightmare hasn’t repeated itself, i’ve had a plethora of very disturbing dreams that probably should qualify as nightmares, only they weren’t scary because i know i’m dreaming and that if it got really bad, i’ve the power to stop it, or twist it however i want.

As for negative sides of LDing… i’ve often felt drained after attempting them, whether succeeding or failing.

a year back, when i first started RCs, i remember one time i felt like i was going crazy a little bit and couldn’t handle it - i was doubting if reality is really reality and how could i know. that could really be a problem if a person has some schizo tendencies.
but i think i’m in the clear :smile: somehow later on this thing resolved. but also, that time was when i had most LDs too :meh:

one guy i know (who’s had been in it with a teacher/master sort of person and for spirituality seeking reasons) told me that ‘LDing can be dangerous’. i am puzzled as to why… he never said why. however, he said that right the next day after i had my most recent LD :meh: it might be why i can’t have anymore. wonder what he wanted to say…? personally i don’t believe LDs are dangerous (but does my SC? :tongue:).
i don’t know. maybe he meant OBEs are dangerous, and they can be connected with LDs in certain cases, i guess… other than that, what could be dangerous, seriously…

One of the most common concerns about lucid dreaming is that whatever impressions from the day that your brain needs to “sort out” in your normal dreams may be lost when you take over the dream yourself.

I believe your brain has some sort of defense mechanism against this, though:
either it will probably force it into your lucid dream somehow, or perhaps even simply make you lose lucidity until the messages have been incorporated into the dream.

a negative aspect that I’ve found is getting yourself caught in SP and having a nightmare. this happens to me often when I try to WILD. It’s hard for me to try to control my nightmares especially in SP because I get so emotional and lose my lucidity.

I remember a very vivid LD I had when I was around nine years old. I would try to bring people into my room to talk to them, but when they appeared they wouldn’t have a head, just this inside out stump for a neck. I would get scared and make the person disappear, and then try again, and they would always have no head. I had no idea how this happened, but I got so scared that I woke up. my heart was beating so fast!

I guess another negative aspect is one that concerns my husband. he says it might be a waste of time to invest so much thought and energy in dreams instead of real life. I, personally, have always had issues with escapism, and this may be another way for me to ignore and “escape” reality.