Breathing during WILD

This is the bit that usually messes me up, I nearly had one this morning but as I started to feel my body paralysing I realised I wasn’t breathing and the more I thought about it the less consistent my breathing became and I felt like I had to breathe manually although I do it all the time without thinking. I had to take a big deep breath and then this seemed to take away the numbness.

Is there any way of dealing with this, is it just excitement/anxiety?

Well you may want to go to a doctor to check that you don’t have sleep apnea (Where you stop breathing in your sleep)
Although i think I’ve had this problem before but only if I’m slipping in and out of sleep.
I guess you just have to take your mind off the issue by counting or somthing.

Thanks, I will read up on that but I reckon if I normally stop breathing when I sleep I’d wake up a lot more than I do during the night.

I would say that it is probably just excitement or anxiety, as you said. I would try again and try not to let yourself get too worked up about it. Just observe yourself and remember that your body successfully guides you into sleep every night. It may even help to try to focus your thoughts somewhere besides your body.

If you have sleep apnea, you may recall having dreams where you are suffocating or are otherwise unable to breathe during the dream. You might also snore and be tired throughout the day even if you get a full night of sleep.

I’ve never really had complaints about snoring, I am tired in the day, no suffocation dreams. I am unable to sleep on my back but that is the case for many I think.

Yeah, I would be much happier sleeping on my side or my stomach, but my pillow doesn’t always support it, so I do have to make due sleeping on my back. I used to not be able to either, though.

Yeah I’ve got the same problem, when I notice that I’m breathing I start breathing very unevenly but the more I try the more it starts to go away.