Is life a dream??

Is life a dream? It’s an interesting question, but it always makes me think: Does it matter? Is it really that important whether it’s actually real or not? I mean it seems pretty real to me, and I’m enjoying it, so I think I’ll leave the postulating to others and just get on with it.

If when I die I wake up someplace else then I’ll know, and I’ll say: “Well, fancy that!”

Give the man a Peanut. :gni: That’s a very good point and well made. :handshake:

haha.
very well put.

That depends on whether or not one wants to become lucid…

I do. That’s why I meditate. If life is a dream, I expect to wake up within the next few years.

…yes, I have considered it.

A few years ago, I had a dream. In it, I was a dream character of someone else’s dream. It was a strange feeling, to be something and nothing at once. To be flesh and bone one minute and the next to be a mere thought. It’s hard to explain, but that was how the dream felt. I dreamt, in all technicality, that I was a dream character of a dream character.

This thought has pervaded me since. If we are truly part of a play, a dream, then who’s the dreamer? And if it be a god, from which religion? And what truly defines a god, if they are but dreamers in this world only to wake up to their own reality, awaken in their own homes?

When we have attained lucidity, it is said we are the god of the dream. When we awaken, the dream is gone, succumbed to ‘reality’. Whatever happens to those who reside in the dream? Does it become a rehash of Judgement Day? A saying does go along with that… “A million years is like a minute to God”.

Sometimes we say our gods no longer care about us, or we have angered them somehow. Maybe, it is not that we angered them, but that they don’t have control over their own dream?

Forget universal consciousness. Better question: What if life is projection of YOUR consciousness? :rc:

Your Reality is no more real than dream. THIS is scientific FACT.
Click my friend
Inportant note: Truth is so rare treasure that it will hardly be showen clearly sometime…read only the first two pages, the author of that page is strongly influenced by his religion and…just read only first two pages.

Eyesight cannot perceive Him but He perceives eyesight… (The Koran, 6: 103)

Who perceives eyesight? You are God.

That what I’m trying to explain to people when they ask me why to remember dreams or why to dream. Because as long we dream it feels real, and it’s all because of a brain, and that feeling and expectation and security and power we experience in dream can be easily embraced in WL! At least in my opinion!

That’s what I believe! But the bad part is… how far does it go up? How many lives are ‘dreaming’ right now?

And good opinion indeed! :happy:
But one must reject (deep inside) the existence of others…

A lot of eastern religions allude to all of existence being a dream - you should read Alan Watts’ book “The Book On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are” - basically he says each living thing, each consciousness, is just God playing a different role in the huge ‘game’ of existence - therefore karma, what you do to others IS being done to you ‘as another person’

Also, there is the belief that all consciousness originates from a base consciousness. You should also look into Tibetan Buddhism, it has a sect (called the Bon tradition, I think?) that takes lucid dreaming to a higher spiritual level and essentially lets you transcend you own consciousness and join the ‘base’ consciousness while you sleep.

Deep stuff :smile:

Thasts good stuff surely, but i’m little more “scientific” :content: so for me this are only claims. In dream what you do to others dont returns to you - because dream chars are unreal - play of your imagination (sometimes un or subconscious imagination with message for you). Its maybe true that you have forgotten knowledge in your subconscious but .

Base consciousness…that still claims that it is something not known, apart from you. Another form of “god on the cloud somewhere”.
If you search in philosophies, look for Advaita Vedanta. “Thou art that” (“You are the Supreme”).

But really, do not believe any philosopher, philosophies or “awakened master”.
They will be always limeted while u are unlimited.

I would submit that what you do in a dream is directly done to you - its all a part of your consciousness. Even the nightmares that chase you represent parts of yourself. As far as a base consciousness, I don’t know if I would call it god, but if in a dream every character is really you, then if ‘life was a dream’ would it not make sense for every one of us to be different forms of the same dreamer? Of course this is all poetry, because any attempted explanation of existence is beyond our ability to put into words. Its just a loose way of thinking about things, and I could probably take any world view and make it seem plausible it i thought about it enough. The truth is no one really has any clue for sure whats going on here, even the scientist sees such a tiny sliver of the potential reality - think about the idea that there could be other ways of detecting reality besides just our basic five senses? sight itself had to evolve from blind amoebas :smile:

Oh, and - have you ever had a conversation with a dream character who told you things you dont know or remember? Don’t forget that your ego personality is just a character role you play too - in some ways dream characters that represent a vast portion of your subconscious may be more real than you, and the forces that compel them are active while you are awake, as well.

I sometimes doubt the existence of others. Maybe we all do but fear to admit it.

“Jiva (soul, you) is called so because he sees the world. A dreamer sees many jivas in a dream, but all of them are not real. The dreamer alone exists and he sees all. So it is with the individual and the world. There is the creed of only one Self, which is also called the creed of only one jiva. It says that the jiva is the only one who sees the whole world and the jivas therein.” - R. Maharshi

There is no reality to be detected. “Creation is not other than seeing; seeing and creating are one and the same process.” - R. Maharshi
Sense itself is not proveable. Sight, smell, touch, space, etc. are all in “brain” - to be scientific, “electrical” signals interpreted by your brain. History itself is illusion too. :content:

and to your opinion:

Yes you’re right. Your subconsciousness creates too. And its bigger.
But consciousness stronger. Subconscious has no will, whereas consciousness has. Subconsciouss is but conscious tendencies stored from past.

Yes! Sometimes I questionate about this things! (Not as Reality Check!!!)

This is all a dream, I’m just a DC… duh…

Yes as a matter of fact. I have. If we perceive dreams the same we do in real life, who’s to say that real life isn’t a dream. :content:

To better explain the question I will start a new topic with the question renamed,
What is “REAL”