Different styles of flying

I don’t feel right flying in a human form, for some reason it makes me feel awkward. So I grow wings! ^.^ (or try, anyways -.-) or I would shift into a flying creature but I haven’t done that completely yet. I’ve tryed, but failed. Meh. And I’m also deathly afraid of heights IRL, but not while in an LD :smile: However, one thing that does hold me back is the fact that IRL, I do not jump off my 10-ft deck. SO, even though I know I’m in a dream and I know I can’t get hurt, I’m still reluctant to jump off random stuff, or take my shirt off, or run through walls, and that probably ruins any chance of cool stuff :sad: because I wouldn’t run randomly at walls or take my shirt off or anything in public if I was awake. So common sense is a hindrance, lol.

Invisible glider method: Find a high ledge, make one, teleport to a high platform, etc. Jump off, and go into a near vertical dive. Slowly tip your self up until you are level. You can fly like you’re using a hang glider, and get some amazing speed. Extremely fun to do in a large canyon.

I have had the most success with swimming - and not surprisingly perhaps this technique works best when I have actually recently been swimming! I push off the ground similarly to how I would push off a wall when swimming and find myself flying. Then I use gentle motions to fly - and I can glide as if I am in water that has a strong current. It all seems very natural, and I think that is why it is easy to incorperate into my lucid dreams.

That said, I think I will try some of the techniques in this thread too!

personal sites removed … you can put one into the website field on your profile though :wink:

Yeah i definitely think there’s a connection between RL sensations and dream experiences. Flying is quite easy for me because i used to long jump and pole vault, and so i incorporate those same sensations ( running and jumping, feeling of weightlessness while in mid air) in my lucid dreams.

I use this same principal if i want to speed up or slow down. I merely concentrate on the feeling of speed one might feel in a fast car ride (windows down of course) or maybe a roller coaster ride.

Also if i feel myself falling (even though it feels more like sinking to me) i just try to ‘bounce’ off the ground, just like one might while on a trampoline!

I float nowadays! it is the fastest way of transpostation besides teleportation for me. Sometimes I find myself in a sitting position flying through the air which makes me feel a bit lazy :razz:

i use the superman method when i fly, and it works well for turning if you just think to yourself to turn

I had a normal dream once where I was flying Dragon Ball Z style alongside my wife. i must say that was a pretty cool experiance.

In my last LD I’ve used superman style [to be honest the whole dream had a some kind of a superman theme] but I had a difficulty with the speed… I have to say that I’m watching Smallville [and in this TV series clark can’t fly just yet] and in one moment I start to think: What a minute, how can I fly if superman can’t?! And from that point I started to had a problem with speed, and then I just switched to a “normal” fly mode [at least for me, and that is hands by my side] and I had no doubts about that kind of flying and I could reach the speed I wanted…

Well, since as a child (I know for some of you I´m still one, but I mean when I was 8-11) I had some natural lucid dreams and there I just flew by stepping in the air. So just like there would be stairs :grin: To speed up, I step faster and if I want to keep the height I just glide :fly: That´s the only kind of flying i can remember doing…

I just figure out how to fly last night :happy:. I’ve tried everything but what worked for me was to do this double jump type of thing and let myself fall alittle bit every time, Its kinda hard to explain (My DR is very bad hehe) but as soon as I do it again I will edit this. But anyways when I get high enough I just kinda Glide. I still wanna get the superman style :tongue:. When I tried it in my dream I would just jump up and fall on my face muahahaha, Fun stuff.

i really cant say ive had a real flying vivid dream experience…but ive had several lucid dreams in which i attempted to fly but they were very low vividness and only managed to get like 10 feet off the ground. Without seeing any techniques i tried the “invisistairs” thing but its not the greatest. I lifted my right foot then lifted my left foot… very slow. ive had one moment though where i leaped out and put my arms out in front of my and started to fly but then looked down and came back down to the ground… what i would suggest is to not look down at first…

but i had one ND once where i had this wierd robotic wing device thing and glided off a building with it :grin: was really fun

I haven’t actually tried this out yet, but I have an idea. You can shapeshift into an animal that can fly. For example, a bird, a dragon, a pegasus, you name it XD

Thanks for telling me of this helpful information will try tonight if i have a LD

i always wanted to fly like hancok :happy:

Unintentionally came up with, inflating, on IRC talking to Wyv about flying… it was a typo…xD

Starry inflates herself into a human balloon

Some really interesting ideas here. I’ve never tried turning myself into an animal to fly. I will have to try this.

Typically I thicken the air around me and then swim up.

I never have much success with whatever method I use to fly. Partly because all I try to do is physical instead of mental. I mainly airswim or take a running jump to hover around in the air.

You know whats odd? i have a lucid mindset and LD A LOT but i usually have about 15-30 minute LD’s but ive always wanted to fly but never have a actually tried in LD’s. Great post will try the superman tonight.

In one of my earliest LDs I am flying around a cityscape flapping my arms like a bird. It is very tiring and not at all effortless like I want it to be. I look down and see a booth called “The Flyers Club”. I decide to investigate so I land (isn’t it great to come in for a landing like a bird) and I ask one of the assistants what they do. She says they help people to become better fliers. I tell her that I am having trouble flying, that I flap my arms but it takes too much effort and I always lose altitude. She responds: “Lose some weight”. Needless to say that was not the answer I was expecting and yet it made perfect sense (somehow)! Well that was my first flying lesson. She also gave me an “immunity card” which would protect me in my LD adventures. My flying has improved lately. I use a “no gravity” technique. I say “no gravity” and I float around effortlessly. It doesn’t always get me where I want to go but it beats flapping my “wings.”

I usually fly like superman. I have never had trouble with flying strangely. The first lucid dream I had I just took off flying the moment I became lucid. It is pretty amazing. I can feel my clothes rippling in the wind and everything!