Why can't I get remember dreams very easily?

For a while I’ve started and stopped trying to lucid dream, but even when I’m keeping a dream diary, I can’t seem to remember dreams very well. They always seem really hazy and distant. How long does it take most people to improve their dream recall?

In fact most of my memories in reality seem hazy and distant.

When you wake up you will need to keep completely still, preferably with your eyes shut, and calmly go through whatever fragments you can remember.
Then hold on to those memories and let more memories come to you, start associating, relive the dreams in reverse etc.
Then when you think you have remembered as much as you can, write it down or record it immediately.
Also remember to write down any memories that might pop up during the day.

You should also try to remember more and more details every night, so you gradually expand your ability to remember dream scenes.

Also try to time your sleep patterns so you wake up during a REM stage - waking up in the middle of a dream tends to improve dream recall quite a lot.
The exact REM stages are fairly individual, but that chart is a good estimation.

Do eveything that he said and tell yourself before sleeping that you will remember your dreams and vizualise yourself remembering your dream. This though should be the last one you have before sleeping.

I am sure you will get a better DR and good luck

I have kind of the same problem. I mean, I am usually quite good at recalling dreams, but after I started woring again it has been harder for me to remember them. This is because I am not allowed to wake up naturally anymore, and I have to toss myself out of bed in the morning to turn off the alarm clock and start getting ready
It has made it harder for me to remember dreams I have had. Plus I feel to stressed in the morning to take the time to sit down and write down my dreams in detail, so I end up just summorising them using bulletpoints, which I guess is better than nothing…:smile: But I have always been so good at remembering my dreams, I’d hate to lose that ability.

Firstly, try autosuggestion. Before you fall asleep, repeat (and put intention behind) mantrass such as “I will remember my dreams” or something similar. I say “I will have vivid and lengthy dream recall” and usually, if I really think it through and believe, it works. Also, write your dreams down as close as you can to when you wake. It’s easier to remember.