42%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 33

Author  Message 
fennecgirl
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 14

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2012  Reply with quote

Me: *to Gan* Ha, Kayleigh was the same way. I'd just found the site and started reading the guides-

Kayleigh: When I decided to appear beside her anyway.

Me: Yeah, I was only considering it then, but it seemed she had already made up her mind.

Kayleigh: And I do like being on that site. We often go on the IRC together, so I get to speak with other tulpae sometimes.

Me: Anyway, about the backstory thing. It has to do with false memories and whatnot. After all, a tulpa's life begins when he or she is created. If they have a background story, they would have the memories associated with it, which would be false memories, since, well, none of that ever actually happened. When you do finally confess that their previous memories of their life are false... it can be rather shocking, especially if the memories are more vivid from a detailed backstory.

Current LD goal(s): To learn basic dream control
CyberD
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 17

Me: So I look over the Tulpa stuff and now I guess I have no choice but to join. @Leijona. Much like you I also had no idea there were so many people with characters like ours. I wrote my guide to try and get people interested over here but it looks like it was already done there. I also read several guides that sounded pretty similar to mine.

Nova: So for those that didn't look, the only differences we could find between what we are doing here and what a "Tulpa" is defined as are pretty simple. Here the characters purpose is for Lucid Dreaming. A Tulpa on the other hand is eventually supposed to be superimposed onto reality itself. The goal seems to be able to try and visualize the character with your actual eyes and see them, not just visualize them in your "minds eye" following that are the other senses. Hearing, smell and even touch.

Me: You missed taste.

Nova: Really... *Rolls eyes* I guess you could have a character made of chocolate. Thats all pretty interesting but we personally don't think we'd be able to achieve much of it. Instead we're more interested in the "sentience" side of it. It's something Daniel never really touched on in his guide that he really should have. Making the character sentient is a really helpful step. The discussion over the topic on the site was interesting to read.

Me: It also made me realize something I never really thought about. By any definition I can find "Nova is sentient." It's kinda weird to think about and even weirder to say. Basically though I guess it comes down to the fact that the part of my brain that processes him has become completely independent from the parts that process my own actions.

Nova: Yep, it is weird to say. To sum up the whole thing the Tulpa site focuses more on character building than we can here but it almost completely ignores the dreaming side of it. (Which is a real shame because we've had some great experiences)

Me: Speaking of (and moving on for a little) I had another good LD with Nova in it the other day. I spent ages looking for him and when I found him I remembered his face so clearly that even I was impressed with my recall. In that dream I also used telekinesis for the first time which made that dream so much better.

Nova: @Fennec: We don't think having a backstory would hurt your efforts. You'd just have to treat the character a little differently. For us we accidentally made it easy on ourselves, by being explicit about having no backstory.
We'll need to find some time to sign up to the forum over there.... but where to start?

CrazyPsychoLoverly
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 13:)

Tallis: *to CyberD* The conference was online, so it was over text, however Psycho's friends know about me and talk to me often IRL. She just translates for them.

Psycho: *to Nova* ...... We are found out Tallis hahaha woah Nova, you are very insightful. No I'm pretty sure Tallis would have left If I meant any real harm. *to fennec* I think you should write a tutorial here for the tulpa. Maybe it would help people with characters already, turn them into a tulpa. *To Nova* Hmmmm I think we will go and join the forum over there as well....

Tallis: Hmmmm the evil tricks I could play on Psycho...... >:)

Psycho: 0.o ......

Current LD goal(s): To summon the right person, and have a conversation with them
Mecha
Symbiont Dreamshaper
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct, 2012  Reply with quote

Quote:
Me: Anyway, about the backstory thing. It has to do with false memories and whatnot. After all, a tulpa's life begins when he or she is created. If they have a background story, they would have the memories associated with it, which would be false memories, since, well, none of that ever actually happened. When you do finally confess that their previous memories of their life are false... it can be rather shocking, especially if the memories are more vivid from a detailed backstory.

Sai: eh *blinks* I've never had any false memories from my backstory, and to my knowledge neither have the others here in our mindscape. It's fun to play along with and all, but I've never had any illusions about it -actually- being my past or having any real hold on me.

Mecha: Interesting site. The last time I was told about tulpa I pretty much dismissed the whole thing as an affront to rationality because it was presented to me as creating physically real things/objects/people using your mind. I've just started skimming the site, but this version already makes much more sense.
Quote:
http://tulpa.info/guides/frequently-asked-questions.h tml
Can I have more than one tulpa?

Yes you can. But making two at the same time is taboo, especially for people just starting out with making tulpae. It's biting off more than you can chew, really. Creating one new consciousness wholly from your mind is hard enough, two is extremely hard. I wouldn't even try it at this point.

Skaith: *whistles innocently*

Vesper: *snickers*

Mecha: Well, it -is- actually some good advice, particularly for beginners. *to Ves* And besides, you weren't the one doing the work now were you?

Leijona
long time lurker
Astral Explorer
Leijona has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 90

Leijona: We might join this site eventually, but because, like Nova, I don’t know where to start, I’ll maybe waste some time with getting familiar with the forum. And the chat, if I figure out how to really use my IRC client. -.-

Gan: *to fennec* Thanks for explaining, that won’t be much of an obstacle then since I can differentiate between my background story and my actual self, much like Sai I guess.

Leijona: *to CyberD* I’m especially amazed because that forum seems to be only a few months old. How did it gain so much popularity? o.o

Gan: *to Nova* Same here. Leijona doesn’t want to work with any other senses than seeing. I for one wouldn’t have a problem to try and involve the other ones, but Leijona and Kubiku think it goes a bit too far, I don’t know what she’s afraid of though.

Leijona: *to Nova/CyberD* I always took it as given that any fully developed character is sentient... I’ve read a few threads here and there and actually some people are lucid dreamers and/or take dreams into account (which is not that surprising as they even mention DreamViews on their About page). Congrats on the LD! grin How many times did you meet Nova in your dreams by now? *to fennec* I was about to suggest the same as Psycho. We definitely gotta make at least a little post just so that this whole tulpa thing and the site’s address don’t get lost in the Chat here eventually. *to Mecha* That was the way I understood tulpa as well when I read about it a few years ago in relation to Buddhism.

Iron: *to Skaith and Ves* Leijona and me thought the same when reading that part. lach1

Leijona: *to Iron* But Kubiku and you at least weren’t created “wholly”, as your personalities were already much defined back then.

Iron: Yup, but since then, my personality actually changed quite a bit. ^^

Leijona: That’s called “deviation”...Man I’m going to have a hard time learning their terminology...

Gan: You’re talking too much, and I thought we got rid of that problem a while ago

Current LD goal(s): visit an abandoned place
CyberD
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Me: @Mecha. I know I only made one character because I looked at the people posting on the forum here with multiple characters and became quickly overwhelmed. I would say it was intentional but I think I made it easier for myself through dumb luck. I've noticed for a while now that I am the only person on here who only has one character.
I can agree with your opinion on the "endgame" goals. Creating something physically and tricking the senses would have immediately turned me away years ago. Now... well it might be possible for some but it isn't really my goal. The use of the Tulpa in dreams interests me far more than trying to bring it into reality. Having had some success with that I feel it is far more obtainable goal.

Nova: @Leijona. Maybe they just post the links around more? There seem to be more "questionable" people on there who may have come from certain terrible parts of the internet. Going over there and having proper conversation is going to be an exercise in caution. It looks like there are some pretty interesting people over there.... and then there are lots of ponies.

Me: Gah, the ponies.... I have never understood it and never will. It makes me cringe just thinking about it. Why anyone would want to make a character out of a pony completely baffles me.

Nova: Sentience doesn't really seem like the right word. In Daniel's opinion (which I share) Sentience typically relates to beings that are physical and persistent. Applying it to something neither physical or persistent feels like it's stretching the definition of the word.

Me: It feels like it almost needs a new word. But its so difficult to measure something like a character it seems like it'd be a futile effort. I also noticed they mentioned dreaming on a few pages. It looks like it may have branched off from a dreaming website, perhaps even something CALD related? Either way a new resource of infomation is interesting to say the least.
Right now I've maybe had 5 to 10 LD's with Nova in them. I've had just as many where I searched for him and never found him. Everytime I see him looks different though, I've met him as an adult, as a younger child who only came up to my knee. I've met him with different clothes and different hair. In the last one he had some strong blond tips in his hair and he had blue eyes instead of his normal brown. Still, I knew it was him. A lot of the time our meetings aren't very long and my memory is often terrible but that's what makes it fun. Maybe looking into all this Tulpa stuff might help me properly define his appearance to my subconscious.

Nova: Maybe we should sign up together? Seeing a post from a familiar face might help getting started on places to post. Also, I've never been part of a live chat. Maybe we'll have to look into that as well.

CrazyPsychoLoverly
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct, 2012  Reply with quote

Psycho: well me and Tallis just signed up, and we did see a post about tulpae and dreaming.

Tallis: Plus we kinda decided to go our own route, and loosely follow the guides ( there are quite a few)

Psycho: But I totally agree with you Leijona, we should make at least a lil post about it. Maybe we can get everyone from here who plans on doing this make it into an experiment, and we can post results and how things are going. That way it's here for everyone to read on the site.

Current LD goal(s): To summon the right person, and have a conversation with them
Leijona
long time lurker
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct, 2012  Reply with quote

Leijona: *to Nova* “Questionable“ is nicely put...I think their downside is that their mods maybe aren’t quite a mod team yet, but then again, it’s a young community. Oh well, guess we’ll just see how it works out.

Iron: Yeah we also noticed the amount of ponies.

Leijona: While I do like MLP, I’m not a “brony” or anything.

Gan: Friendship is magic!

Leijona: Yes I am sure this was what everyone wanted to hear, thank you for your constructive participation.

Gan: Anytime!

Leijona: -_- *to CyberD* I think MLP and the whole brony fan base is simply one of the things that come with the internet, just like a LDing forum or a homepage only dedicated to the fan base of some book or movie.

Gan: *to Nova* True that, but what is typically about having autonomously talking and feeling imaginary characters, anyway? kiekeboe

Leijona: *to CyberD* Well in a topic (I think it was about their general rules) the admin said something about how a big part of the community came from 4chan. Wow that’s a lot more success than we got!

Neila: I’d go as far as saying that a lot of people have had more success over the course of the last 12 months than we had.

Leijona: *to Nova/Psycho* I signed up too, but obviously it takes some time to have your account activated. *to Tallis* I always follow guides just loosely, haven’t made too good experiences with following them strictly and verbatim regarding LDing. *to Psycho* I’ve thought of posting in the CALD thread about how it’s going with that stuff, too.

Gan: Basically because she’s worried that my “imposing” will result into the rest of us disappearing. Which of course it nonsense. Buuuut who’s listening to me anyway.

Neila: That and she shouldn’t read so many of the posts about putting words on your character’s mouth. Unfounded doubts are really annoying, dear.

Leijona: *to CyberD* "Please welcome our newest member, CyberD." lach1 Also what I thought you guys here would maybe find useful or anything, I don’t know, is that I joined the chat for a few minutes because I really wanted to know if our sentient MCs here do still count as tulpae, even if not imposed into reality, and that guy named Purlox said that they actually would. smile

CyberD
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Fri 26 Oct, 2012  Reply with quote

Me: So I posted on the CALD thread because I had too much to say here. Link Which means I beat you guys to it.
Also, is it just me but has reading all these articles actually improved your focus on your characters over the last couple of days? New inspiration.

Nova: Easily excited? @Leijona. Really we just have to ask "What is the worst that can happen." There are unhelpful people everywhere you look but if there is even one interesting person on there than it's a good thing to be able to talk to them. We're specifically looking for information that will help us to focus better and bring me to the front me. I disappear far to long when Daniel gets distracted sometimes and it's no fun at all.

Me: More Nova means more focus which means more LD's. Plus the more I talk to him the more "fleshed out" he becomes. Interestingly we get the rather unique opportunity to enter their community with already built characters.

Nova: @Leijona again. I thought Bronies had to be male?

Me: It's not something you can argue about. There are all kinds of people out there including a vocal minority who enjoy everything there is to know ponies. I think our problem is that we aren't outspoken enough. Though that might also be a good thing because excess attention can draw in people that you don't really want around.
LD4all is a well established forum and I'm glad we have a hard working staff mod group and sensible members because it promotes a great learning atmosphere. Not to say Tupla doesn't have that but anyone can see that it needs some work. I've seen the behind the scenes on forums and often ain't pretty.

Nova: That was long before me. Fun how I remember it as vividly as you do despite not existing back then.

Me: I'd rather not talk about it.

Nova: *grins* We signed up this morning. The three day thing is why we didn't see any posts from you guys. @Gan, maybe the extra concentration by focusing on you will actually help everyone else as well. I'm lucky cause there ain't no one here but me.

CrazyPsychoLoverly
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct, 2012  Reply with quote

Psycho: *to CyberD* Read the link rite now, I was actually more leaning towards making it a post in the LD lab, and for anyone to try it, and give us results, and also our results, for people with CALD characters already existing and also those who don't. Also, In due time that post may be lost in the thread due to daily posting. Posting it in the Lab may help us keep it more alive, while we try this out. Plus we can make a report after, and maybe it will go into the article section, where it wont be lost on the site. Just a thought.

Tallis: You think too much:P

Psycho: :P

TheTinyNinja
Freelance Ninja
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 6

Jet: OMG TinyNinja finally dragged herself out of the depths of homework enough to bring us back! *waves to old aquaintances and bounces*

Kaeli: Has it really been almost a year?

Jet: Of course it has. As soon as TinyNinja started college full-time, she forgot about all of us. Don't you remember that's the way it's always been?

Aviv: Real life takes precedence.

Jet: But the girl's got to sleep, right? And what does she do when she sleeps? Hmm? Has dreams without us in them, that's what.

Kaeli: Oh come on, you two. We finally make it back to the chat, and the first thing you do is start the same old argument you've had a million times before?

Me: Hello everyone! Can't believe it's been almost a year since I was on LD4all... college has been eating my time in giant gobbles sadblauw I'm trying to get back into the habit of lucid dreaming, and Jet, Kaeli, and Aviv were eager to come chat with everyone again.

Jet: I feel like Rip van Wrinkle!

Current LD goal(s): Meet my mind characters in a dream.
CyberD
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Me: @Psycho. Nothing stopping you posting something in the lab. I'd like to read something not by me. Putting it in the lab will certainly help keep any reports/findings separate from the CALD technique and help to keep focused on the actual goals of "experiments"

Nova: I'm sick of watching you type today, so much typing and so little attention for me.

Me: Almost done, then we can hopefully try a "focused" *cough* session before bed. I've never really tried just sitting down and talking with Nova for an extended period, I've never seen him so focused before and it was a nice change, we're working on building a wonderland, I dunno if it'll serve much purpose but if I try to imagine it every night then maybe I'll get something out it. Maybe it'll appear in a dream.
@TheTinyNinja. I'm pretty sure we haven't met. I've been posting here a lot over the last few months and I don't remember ever seeing your name. CALD sure has a long past here and this thread goes back several years. I know how distracting college can be, been there done that. I didn't even learn about any of this stuff until I finished and had lots of free time.
Introductions maybe? I'm Daniel, 22. Nova is my character, he's 13 (technically 5 -6 months) We've had plenty of success with CALD and we're always trying to learn more. Hope you stick around smile

Leijona
long time lurker
Astral Explorer

Leijona: *to CyberD* It did improve my focus and boosted my motivation on the first two days-

Gan: -but now she's so busy reading through all these articles, guides and posts that we've kinda slowly slipped away. Ironic, isn't it? wink

Leijona: *to Nova* I'm almost certain you guys already saw them but regarding focus and imposition we've found two helpful threads: We need yet to try it out but Gan and me can imagine how it'd work and the second , while I read this one I could almost hear something make "click" in Gan's brain.

Gan: I'm still surprised at how we didn't realize that on our own.

Leijona: *to Nova* I'm not so sure, but I think it can be used to describe the fan base in general as well. *to Psycho* Call me pessimistic, but I don't think there will be a lot, if any, non-CALDers who will engage in a lab thread (or any tulpa thread that is), but if you do post one, I'll report back to it with any interesting stuff that happens. smile Additionally, someone could just leave a link to CyberD's post as a reply to his guide for anyone who's interested. *to Tiny and company* Welcome back, folks!

Gan: :3 *hugs Tiny, Jet and Kaeli* You guys are back! *decides to take the safe route and just waves to Aviv*

Neila: I was hoping that you would return someday. ^^ *hugs for those who want them*

CrazyPsychoLoverly
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sun 28 Oct, 2012  Reply with quote

Psycho: *To CyberD and Leijona* Here's a link to the experiment I made: Tulpa Experiment
But in regards to our progress, I think we are doing pretty well. I see little glimpes of Tallis, or a blue cloud were he is.

Tallis: Ugh, she doesn't allow me to talk though, unless its outwards, which is taking awhile. I'm used to just saying what I want in her head, it's driving me bonkers. Oh she only lets me talk here though(in her mind) .

Psycho: Oh shush, It's just so there's no chance for me to parrot and it's really you:P

Tallis: Yah yah whatever:P

Psycho: HI TinyNinja, Kaeli, Jet, and Aviv! Welcome back:)

Tallis: Hello TinyNinja and Crew:) If I may ask....

Psycho: Here we go.....

Tallis: So rude Psycho, Anyways, what are all your characters like Tiny?

TheTinyNinja
Freelance Ninja
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 6

PostPosted: Sun 28 Oct, 2012  Reply with quote

*Me, Kaeli, and Jet group hug with Gan and Neila*

Aviv: *Smiles very, very slightly*

Kaeli: Hey look, you're happy too! *grabs Aviv and pulls him into the group hug*

Jet: Yay for seeing you all again and meeting so many new people! :D

Me: Pleased to meet you, Psycho, CyberD, Nova, and Tallis! *glares at Jet* will you quit tugging at my arm please, Jet?!

Jet:Properly introduce us already!

Aviv: If you are so impatient to be introduced, perhaps you should take responsibility for the task yourself.

Me: Go for it.

Jet: I'm Jet. I'm 19, human, and female, and I'm a mechanic. This is Kaeli. She's also human, but I think she's in her late twenties. She wears a sci-fi armor suit, although she doesn't usually wear the helmet. She's generally the peacekeeper in our mindspace. *looks up at Kaeli* And she's really tall! Mr. Grim Scary Dude over here is Aviv. He's taller than Kaeli, believe it or not! Kaeli says he looks a bit like the Terminator. I don't know what that is though *shrugs*. He's sort of like a bodyguard. It's his job to fight bad things in nightmares and stuff like that.

Kaeli: Tallis, what are the character(s) in your mindspace like?

Current LD goal(s): Meet my mind characters in a dream.

print