Complete Control?

Hi everyone,

I’ve been here for a little while, since I started trying to lucid dream. I haven’t had a lucid dream, yet, and i’d like some help with speeding that up (been at it for nearly 2 months now) but that is not the reason behind this post.

I have read about lucid dreaming from a few sources but one I recently read said that in lucid dreams you can only push a lucid dream in the direction you like, not just click your fingers and take it there. It also said that you could try and push it one way but it could turn out to become the exact opposite of what you want it to be and that even experienced lucid dreamers couldn’t achieve 100% control of their lucid dreams.

Is it possible (if so, how likely?) to achieve 100% control of your lucid dreams or is lucid dreaming just trying to push a dream where you want it to go?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

What is this source? Link please?

I’ll be the first to say that it is completely false. This is a complete misconception, probably based on the fact that your first few LDs are generally short-lived. It can create the illusion that you do not have much control over LDs, even though you have merely progressed into an ND.

Also, if you have any doubts about being able to do something, then it will not work. Control over your LDs in this regard is heavily based on experience in LDing.

Certainly, the Expectation effect goes a long way in dream control.

But still, I’ve never talked to anyone who claimed 100% control. What would that even mean, in practicality? If you wished for a forest to appear, and it did, did you specifically intend every leaf on every tree? And, say, the forest appears, but appears with deer grazing. Did you intend them? Control their appearance?

You would be a god, in every sense of the word.

Although I believe the OP meant “100% control” as in control over yourself. My personal opinion is that free will is nonexistent, but if I were of the majority in opinion about free will, then I would say that you can have full control over your in-dream actions.

“Control over your actions” is close to a good definition of lucidity. What does it mean to be lucid, or conscious, if it doesn’t mean “acting with controlled intention”?

Yet, in the dream world, is everything “you” or “yours”?

That isn’t a metaphysical question, although it could be. Mostly, it’s a psychological question. When you’re lucid in a dream, do you control only your ego’s actions, or do you control every aspect of your mind? The answer is it depends upon the dreamer–and belief or expectation may have nothing to do it.

Thanks for all your help, the page doesn’t really say much about control but it was really the most interesting thing on it for me, especially since most of the information was fairly obvious. Here is the link:

www.squidoo.com/lucid-dreaming

Thanks for the link.

I have had lucid dreams with great degrees of control, but…well, as an “intermediate” lucid dream who has had around 300 lucid dreams or so, honestly, I don’t think controlling dreams is very fun or desirable. It’s much more interesting, to me, to be surprised, to let the dream be chaotic.

I myself, except for once or twice, haven’t achieved enough lucidity to do most of what I want. There are some things I can pretty consistently do, but when attempting something I’m not used to, I tend to get stuck trying to do it one way and one way only. One thing I’ve found is that when I’m trying to do something, often the dream itself can offer help. I’ve had DCs help me before, and I’ve asked the dream as well. Sometimes it’s more interesting to see how the dream does it than what you originally thought of.

I’ve read about people who had a lot of control. You can “snap your fingers” and blow stuff up, make a person appear before your eyes, change into an animal and many other things.

But I don’t believe 100% control is easy to do. Maybe you could achieve it with a lot of practice. The things that are hard to do aren’t the things you’d expect to be hard. I’ll find it quite difficult to keep my environment static and keep it from changing slightly like it tends to do. Its really hard to make a DC do the exact things I want it to do.

Someone on the forums called WritersCube has extremely good control, other people do too.

I’ve read about people who had a lot of control. You can “snap your fingers” and blow stuff up, make a person appear before your eyes, change into an animal and many other things.

But I don’t believe 100% control is easy to do. Maybe you could achieve it with a lot of practice. The things that are hard to do aren’t the things you’d expect to be hard. I’ll find it quite difficult to keep my environment static and keep it from changing slightly like it tends to do. Its really hard to make a DC do the exact things I want it to do.

Someone on the forums called WritersCube has extremely good control, other people do too.

I actually beleive that it is possible for me to have 100% control, but i don’t, there is always that little bit of randomness that you always want there because what fun would a life be 100% controlled by you? just think of how bored you get when you try to make something do. So yes, it is possible (or at least for me) but i never actually use it to full potential. i always leave room for my mind to make up the rest.