Remee is out! Has anyone used it?

The Remee is simple, relatively low-cost light-emitting mask that had some success on kickstarter a while back: link to vendor removed, please don’t link to sellers. :dragon:

The main different between it and older, more complicated designs is that it does not monitor eye movements…it just puts out a pattern of lights at defined intervals. As such it is lighter, smaller, and less expensive than it would have to be otherwise.

I preordered one in September, but mine hasn’t shipped yet. Did anyone who got on board earlier receive one and have a chance to try it out? I’d love to hear your impressions.

It’s certainly cheaper than the NovaDreamer or RemDreamer! I’m assuming the time between the flashes are customizable as well, if the patterns are customizable. It would be pretty easy to set the lights to correlate with your REM period if you’ve already figured out when yours are, such as with an android or iphone app that records your movement while you sleep.

It certainly might be a good choice if I ever decide to get something of the sort. I work night shift and sleep at day, so light-blocking curtains are a must. Even so, it doesn’t get quite all of it because of how the curtain rod is. I suppose a sleep mask would be nice, so you might as well add something that might spur some lucidity. I’d say it’s relatively cheap considering what it does. :tongue: Then again, I know OmkAR made his own version of a RemDreamer. I certainly don’t have such skill myself though. ^^

My main problem with products like this is that it assumes you can sleep with something on your eyes. Many people discover that they cannot sleep with any face mask while others discover they can only sleep with a certain type of face mask.

Also, many made the following observation about Nova Dreamer; eventually their brain tuned out the lights and they no longer noticed them.

Most unfortunate is all of the people that think remee is the instant ticket to lucid dreaming. There are going to be a lot of angry consumers. I hope this device does not result in the end of all lucid dreaming electronics.

You’re in a dream and you see railroad lights flashing back and forth, you see a traffic signal blinking, or you see someone waving a flashlight in your face. You have to train yourself to question if your brain is presenting a template for the mask flashing in your face. You aren’t escaping the training required for lucid dreaming. You still have to be dedicated and perform reality checks. How many consumers do you think are going to have this dedication? Not many.

I do not think the public at large is ready for lucid dreaming.

Nova dreamer came packaged with a book by Stephen Laberge that taught lucid dreaming. It was priced really high and pitched to a select audience. I think those who purchased Nova Dreamer better understood what they were getting into.

Please understand that I do not mean any of this as a slight against the creators of remee. I respect anyone trying to advance lucid dreaming. I just have my concerns regarding public adoption. I really do wish that this product was part of a complete package with a ‘results will vary’ disclaimer.