LDing should be taught in college.

Of course they do, however as a class it doesn’t make much sense. They teach you how to LD? You don’t need to go to college to accomplish this goal. I think this better fits within human psychology.

I was merely countering your argument on LDing not being an access to a well-paid career…

I think it would be better in a psychology class too, I just find that sometimes I must play the Devil’s Advocate in order to help people improve their argument.

parents would complain to the schools board when their youngens come home and start speaking sense all of a sudden. imo teaching is repeating(few acceptions)- lets just stay wise and realize how little we know

if everyone could LD… it would cut crime wouldn’t it?
like…
i don’t know how drugs work in LD’s but if it does you could just elliminate the craving in LDs.

and people would be alot calmer.
they could always escape to thier dreamworlds.

i don’t really know what i’m talking about,
haha.

No, you make a good point. :smile: Think how different society wouldn’t be if we actually considered it important to save some time, every day, to ask people what did they dream about tonight and how they’ve been feeling — and mean it this time. I’m not trying to say dreaming or lucid dreaming are the key to world peace, no, guess what I’m trying to say is that we live in a society where giving a damn about dreams is not considered very normal, and that this is a symptom of something bigger — something bigger which is also the cause to so many people freaking out and for violence to be raising so steeply.

Anyway: nice avatar!

@HebrewB:

Well, one could argue, how are theology (or fine art) academic pursuits? :wink:
But I do not want to get into a discussion about it, really.

I don’t think teaching people about LDing could change the world, as neither could any other single idea or concept. It’s always the question of what people want to make out of the means at their disposal. Almost everything can be turned to good or bad.

I think it would be useful though to at least regularly tell people about the possibilities of LDing at some point. I probably never believed such a thing possible (without drugs, that is :wink:) and I was 26 when I first learned about it, and that only over the internet. It seems almost insane. I thought sleeping to be largely a waste of time, and nightmares to be something that you just had to accept. :roll:

I tend to agree with the people in this thread who suggest LDing to be taught as a “basic skill” rather than on an academic level.

Good point, lucid dreaming could become a basic point in all kinds of subjects. Sociology class, biology, philosophy and maybe even more.

Interestingly enough I overheard my philosophy professor on the bus one day, talking about lucid dreaming to another student. She didn’t seem terribly interested…I suppose that would be the problem that one would have contend with if lucid dreaming were taught in schools. It can take some effort, and might not generate a whole lot of interest…then again we all have to take boring classes in school sometimes :content:

Personally I rather like the idea of specializing in the study of dreams as an academic or professional researcher. There are lots of fields where someone might study lucid dreaming, or use lucid dreaming as a study tool; psychology, psychophysiology (like Stephen LaBerge), neurology, cognitive science (I find myself more and more attracted to this one every day :grin: ), even art - Fariba Bogzaran did her PhD on lucid dreams and art.

Indeed, almost everyone finds some courses or some kinds of material in it boring, lucid dreaming cannot be not one of them. :razz:

Fine art and theology could further the cultures of a country, whereas how the nation dreams doesn’t seem to have any value.

Also, fine art helps the economy of a nation, as it sells rather well, however, one cannot sell a dream.

That’s true hebrewB. But the main point is that it is a rather useful supplementary tool. So sure, you can’t sell a dream, but you can write a book based on a dream, develop a physical theory based on a dream, paint using a dream…

It should be an auxiliary course that everyone must take and that hasn’t any grade. I only speak of a single semester, no more.

If I were to become a dad I would try to teach my child lucid dreaming and self-hypnosis along with reading and math.I think of it as a basic skill.MY nephew was only 4 when I told him about lucid dreaming and I would occasionally ask him about his dreams and I think he took to it like a duck to water but without reinforcement he may forget.

hi y’all
im glad to see you discussing this question, and for my two pennies worth I think none of you are going far enough lol
I propose a system of education whereby Lucidity is taught before anything else. From the moment a child figures out the difference between a dream and WL, they should be actively taught the skills of journal-keeping, supplements, all the varied inducement techs, etc etc
I strongly feel that then they could be easily left alone to learn anything else they might require to function in society, without being forced - there are several schools that already teach in this way, though without discussion of Lucidity of course… Summerhill in the UK, and Sudbury Valley in the US, both leave the children to do exactly as they please - and the results speak for themselves, with much higher literacy and numeracy, at the very least.

Imagine an entire generation that comes out of such an education system - a whole generation of Lucid Dreamers, instead of just the odd one or two that teach themselves with greater or lesser success. Look to WritersCube, too - he is one of the most skilled Dreamers Ive come across, and he has been Lucid since the age of four.

If anyone thinks I might be on to something, feel free to pm me - i’d love to chat more about the very real possibilities that exist, to create such a school.

namaste
samael

merged into existing topic :moogle:

Yes, I really do think lucid dreaming deserves to at the very least in some way be taught at schools.
It is such a fantastic opportunity to develop as a human being and make you a generally happier person, and even lets you learn about your subconscious mind and basically improve your whole life.
I know that there are Psychology school subjects, and if anything lucid dreaming should definitely be introduced there - it deserves that.
I think it’s madness that such an awesome skill like this should be left completely unknown for so many people.

It doesn’t even need to be a mandatory school subject, just something that students can choose to learn if they want to - kind of like Tim Post’s instructional videos on Lucidipedia or something, which by the way are a great step in the right direction.

I too believe that lucid dreaming should be taught at schools, but I’m afraid it (most likely) it will never be taught at school. I just can’t see it. Not being offensive but if it was taught at school it would probably be associated with religious Studies. I know it’s scientific fact but I guarantee you that if you told 10 people randomly on the street about lucid dreaming, 8/10 people would laugh at you even though its scientific proven. I wish this is not the way it is treated because if people could just realise how amazing it is then it would be a much better world. Don’t get me wrong I’m pro getting lucid dreaming globally openly recognised. But I believe to do this we must act softly and com actually looking in to investing in this idea. Please don’t think I’m spoilt because I earn my money my business is turning over £200,000 a year and I’m looking in to hiring a new guy. I believe a campaign is needed, many people believe that lucid dreaming is something you must find and learn to understand I believe this is not the case guys. You must just wait and see what I have lined up and it’s going to attract a lot of attention.

I wouldn’t agree with that. Lucid dreaming is not a subject. It’s rather a hobby: Are you interested? Fine, do it. Are you not? Don’t bother then.

There are no subjects such as Chess, Rubik’s Cube Solving, Collecting postage stamps etc.

Subjects are required for your qualifications. You understand Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Languages etc. and you get marks, because you do tests and exams…
Lucid dreaming would be a problem. I’m up for presenting this topic in school conferences (I have done it, actually), but a school subject? A no-no from me.

For English class, we had to write a short story that wasn’t short at all. Our teacher wanted to see if we could put together a fictional story that was rooted in formal research, whether it was a textbook, or an interview we conducted, or a magazine or website. Or firsthand experience. Each class for the whole semester was dedicated to researching.

Apparently, a previous student had picked the topic of lucid dreaming.

And slept in class.

And called it research. :content:

(And the teacher let him.)

That’s a really funny story, like literally that’s amazing wish I could do that :smile:
Thanks this made my night :smile:

That’s why I said it should at least be included in Psychology classes.
Seriously, lucid dreaming, if anything, is psychology-related, and there is absolutely no reason in my mind to leave it out of the subject, because lucid dreaming is easily one of the most complex and deep parts of psychology, but constantly overlooked.

A professor from my school, Dr. Bardi, is a psychologist whom I met one day in the library. I rented a book “The Psychology of Dreaming” and he told me about Tibetin Dream Yogas and has shared many lucid stories. I’ve yet to have a class with him, but now I’m really looking forward to an oppurtunity to talk more. It’s awesome how open-minded and experienced some professors really are, especially when it comes to smething like lucidity.