Almost succeeded to WILD, what did I do wrong?

Hi, :smile:

I have already had some (although unpleasant) WILD experiences before, but that has been a long time ago (maybe a year). However, this morning when I woke up, I stayed in bed for a while longer and suddenly I felt something like my body was… numb… I recognized this from WILD experiences I did before so I thought ‘Oh, let’s actually try to do WILD now, I’m already past the first step’ I just layed still and after a while I suddenly remembered I have to count like this “1 I’m dreaming 2 I’m dreaming 3 I’m dreaming” to stay aware.

After a few minutes I got to, what feels to me like, the second stage. My body was feeling even more numb, my heart started pounding very fast, and I heard this high pitch noise in my ears (< is this normal by the way? I always get this high pitch at some point :tongue: )

But that’s as far as I got… I know you have to “fall asleep” at some point but that just wouldn’t happen.

My question is, what can you do to help yourself fall asleep and get into the dream? I just kept on counting and breathing slowly but I wasn’t sure what to think about. I was thinking mostly about things that make me happy (to make the hallucinations that might come less scary) and also about how I wanted my dreamscape to look like when I got in the dream < am I doing that wrong?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hey Niborius,

First of all: Yes, the high pitched noise is normal. A lot of people hear some kind of noise when reaching the borders of the dreamstate.

I’ve gone through the same thing. You are able to relax a lot and let go of your waking state for quite a bit.
But then what, right? You are lying there and you want to fall asleep, yet stay awake…
I learned from the pro’s that you have to take a leap of faith, you basically need to let go of your consciousness. Because you are letting go of it in such a late fase of falling asleep you will almost certainly get lucid as soon as the dream forms or later on in the dream.

For me the times I tried this it worked like a charm, but lucid dreaming is very subjective…

For the rest it seems like you are doing everything okay, but you can also try to do it without counting as this might be the little thing keeping you from becoming relaxed enough

Good Luck!

That’s the correct answer, at some point you have to let go or simply put fall asleep but at what point? Well I have to say I consider you very lucky. That high pitch noise is your cue to let go.

Many dreamers when attempting WILD have different cues which is logical, yours seems to be high pitch noise. Why? Well the reason is very simple and you said it yourself, after that high pitch noise nothing happens. You remain awake, conscious… That’s your cue, or I would like to picture it as a brick wall which you need to break.

In my personal case I usually get this rush feeling, like adrenalin is rushing through my veins and I know that’s the moment(and keep in mind it is a moment, you don’t have a lot of time, it’s a very thin line between being in this state of consciousness and dreaming) to fall asleep, also I tend to experience falling of lifting sensations which means the same: FALL ASLEEP! :grin:

Good luck! :content:

Oh, so I’m not the only one who hears the high pitch noise :grin:

So, I have to let go of my conciousness, does that mean I shouldn’t think about anything anymore during that stage?

And I recognize the rush feeling. It kind of feels like you’re going to evolve or something (lol), especially with the increased heartbeat and the high pitch noise.

I still find it very scary to WILD but this time was a perfect opportunity as it was already like 8 AM and my room was quite lit, so I wasn’t that scared. I still need to get over my fears. I know that every hallucination that may happen (although none has ever happened to me yet) are fake, and are all made up in my mind, but I find it hard to concentrate on nice things (which will, as I heard, make my hallucinations become “nice” too).
My mind usually keeps on thinking about scary things.

Anyway, thanks for the replies! The next time I am going to set up an alarm during the night that only goes off for about a second, and when I wake up, I don’t move at all and I’m going to try to WILD again (I heard that this is one of the best ways to do it)

Since Niborius is not a LD newbie, he is just having some concerns about WILD (which is nice to try), I would like to point something here:

For me that sounds more MILDish than WILD, still, it’s close enough. I don’t mean it’s really wrong, however, It doesn’t have to be that way, despite being easier to let it go in most cases.

Yes it’s possible to WILD and be conscious the whole time, you must be really patient and you can see the dream forming since the very beginning, I’m very sure it’s possible because I had chronometers by my side, to check the time I spent after waking up.

But after all, getting LDs is more important than succeeding the hard way. I just wanted to show that it’s possible.

Indeed Tggt,
It is fully possible to WILD while remeaning conscious the whole time, that is actually the deffinition of WILD like you said. In my experience the letting go of your consciousness doesn’t really mean losing it. But the difficult part is to really hold on to it because that (for me) makes it unable to fall asleep. When I do this I generally don’t quite fall asleep but my level of consciousness does get very low. :wink:

Hey,
That “leap of faith” thing might exactly be what I was looking for.
See, when I tryied to WILD I always got stuck at one point with that high pitch noise exactly like you.
Until this morning where at some point I felt that I shifted my attention from counting to something else (my body I think).
I guess it made the transition because I heard someone’s voice and his hand shaking my shoulders . “That’s it” I thought, and tryied to open my eyes because I didn’t have any vision. Doing that woke me up. I guess I should wait a little more next time and let images come by a way or another.

How do you guys make that “leap of faith” ? I would like to have a reliable way to do it. not just by being lucky. Making a fully conscious transition seems rather hard.

In my opinion even though you don’t let go intentionally or consciously I think you do actually at some point let go, even though you can be aware of dream forming before you at some point transition from waking state to the dream world needs to be done and I guess it’s at some point, by letting go I think you only quicken the process and you make it easier for yourself.

That is what I think, can’t actually prove it. But my own experience points to that…

I suggest trying tactile sensations first. When you get to this point, instead of trying to open your eyes, try to imagine you roll over, or that your hands are touching something. Sight is usually one of the last senses to form and I tend to wake up, opening my real eyes, when I try to do it too early too.

Thanks for all that help guys.

WILD truly is a fascinating technique. Just 1 more question and I guess I’m done :smile:

How do you know that when you’ll go to sleep, WILD will be possible. I mean you gotta be in REM to perform WILD and I couldn’t find any reliable way in order to know when is my next REM cycle.
Do you guys just go back to sleep and hope that your timing is ok or do you use some voodoo techique that nobody heard before :wink: ?

From what i know,longest REM cycles begin after 5+ hours of sleep. And if you wake up after 5 hours ( 5hrs is just an example),and get back to sleep,your body knows you need more REM sleep. So as you go back to sleep,your sleeping cycles will continue from where you stopped :tongue: Thats why its the best to practice WILD in the morning or during day naps.

p.s. i dont know the exact names of those slow and rapid sleeping cycles,but i think you will understand the idea :smile:

I like to create a falling sensation along with the counting. As I become deeply relaxed and start seeing imagery I let go of the counting and just focus on the falling. The last stage is where it gets hard to explain. What people experience here is different for everyone. It’s different for me each time. Sometimes I feel drawn into the imagery and others I am pulled out of my bed like an OBE. You kind of have to feel your way through it without thinking about it. I hope this makes some sense to you.

The key is to keep letting go till you are only holding on to a tinny thread of consciousness.

it can be very hard to maintain consciousness…

Yes, this is the whole reason WILD is so difficult. It’s is very difficult to find the right balance so that you don’t lose consciousness yet don’t lie awake all night

So what are the best tips for it? how we can achieve it?

Sometimes when I try to WILD I get to a point where I feel like I am sinking and rising in my bed and a like white light flashes in my eyes and I get a rush of adrenaline, but it always passes so fast I don’t get a chance to try and fall asleep. I think that is when I need to do it though

You just gotta experiment :
Wake yourself up in the night, stay awake for a while then go back to bed and WILD :smile:
There is plenty of different known technique in order to WILD on the forum just search a bit to get some inspiration.

I usually get this feeling and it wakes me up all over again.
But last time, I shifted my attention to my body which allowed me to make the transition. You should give it a try.

Who knows? It might work :content:

That’s what I do. Whenever there is some kind of sensation which is not directly connected with body sensations(Sound, vision and such) I try to somehow transform that to body sensations, to me it’s much easier to track what’s happening, to track the actual progress.

Sounds and images are pretty hard to follow, they happen very quick and they can be very disrupting, you can easily loose track and somehow unconsciously find yourself in a dream or in another HH.

On two occasions I have astrally projected whilst sleeping, and on both I heard a noise that I can only describe as having my head in a jet engine. I think perhaps it will be down to astral hearing as your brain waves change.