Dream recall

I would like to have a better dream recall. Due to a weak bladder I wake up at least 5 times or more at night. Same times I remember the dream I had before waking up, but often I have a fleeting glimpse and it is gone. So I am lucky waking up that often, all I would like to know how can I improve my dream recall. It does not have to be lucid as I enjoy all types of dreams. I keep a dream book, and also use a recorder at night. Anticipating your replies with thanks :smile:

Moved from General Lucidness. :dragon:

You should not try too hard to remember your dreams just relax and start writing a dream journal, at first you might not be able to recall your whole dream but only remember some elements. If you continue this practice your mind will be more focused the next time you dream. And also read the guide on this website which will have the answer to your problem.

Here are a few tips:

Tip #1
I’m not sure about what your bladder allows, but when you wake up, try not to move for a few moments, and do your best to remember what you were dreaming. Do this for up to a minute, and then open your dream journal. Write anything that comes to mind.
If you remember fragments, write them. If you remember feelings write them.
If you remember having a dream but nothing more, write that and describe as much as you can the feeling you have after the dream has ended.

If you don’t even remember that, try to write the time, where you are, what you feel, describe your environment etc…
The most important thing about DJ, is the details. (There’s a very good guide about that in the stickies BTW)

Clarification: If you remember something concrete, write it immediately do not wait a second because it might vaporize in a heartbeat…

Tip #2
Try to use autosuggestion. Before you go to bed, and before you fall asleep after you awaken during the night, recite a mantra you decide to remember your dreams. (example below). You have to recite that mantra 3 to 4 times, and focus all your intention and desire at it. Also, visualize yourself waking from a dream and writing it in your DJ. do it from first person perspective and not 3rd person, i.e. do not see yourself writing, from a distance. Actually imagine you are doing the writing.

Examples for mantras:

1. I will remember what I dream tonight
  2. Tonight I will wake up right after a dream and remember it
  3. I will wake up and record my dreams tonight
  4. Next time I wake up, I will remember my dream
  5. anything you think that works for you.

Hope that helps.

O

Thanks for your help

Let us know how you do…

Even if you can’t recall anything, make an entry in your dream journal. Even if you only write, “No dreams recalled,” it still sets your intention to remember your dreams. Try writing what you would like to dream about, or any goals for future lucids…

BTW, I’ve found that taking about 30 mins before sleep a good amount of tryptophan rich food (like 3-4 tablespoons of sesame) along with vitamin B6 Supplement, really helps dream recall if you’re in a dry period.
Maybe it will also work for you.

definatey. write things out in point form, i find that to encourage me to record every morning now, and its become less like work and more like chipping away at deep block of mystery (if that backs sense…)

whats your strongest of your 5 senses in WL?
i can see an image from the dream i woke from, and seeing that brings up so much more, from past and future.

also just don’t try to hard to remember. here i go explaining my own situation again haha… but i dont seem to loose my dreams very quickly, i remember them as the day goes on. i remember dreams i have never recorded that have happened months or a year ago. the way this happens always comes down to one strong feeling from the dream ive had, that feeling brings back the sight sounds w/word and thoughts, and feelings etc.

during your WL reflect on what a dream is and when they happen (logically, dont get metaphysical yet, lol,) from the veiw point of yourself at that moment during your day.
think about how many miles or meters you are from your bed where- logically your dreaming happens, anything to trace yourself back to a moment inside your sleeping body where you felt something strong enough to be recorded at a later time in your life (a matter of hours usually.)
bye

One thing I found that helps is jotting down everything you remember on paper right as you wake up, even if it’s the worst handwriting ever. Then later on type your notes up neatly into word, or as I use, Evernote. Then later on before you go to sleep read over your dreams that you’ve typed up, searching for patterns, signs, etc. This helped me a lot.