Asking a dream character to tell you you're dreaming

There is a technique where you become lucid and ask a dream character to tell you you’re dreaming in a future dream. You would want the character to tell you, “You’re dreaming”. It wouldn’t have to be “You’re dreaming” though, it could be anything - “You’re dreaming” in a foreign language, a codeword that represents “You’re dreaming”. The codeword could be something that is short and simple like “cug” or anything.

Alternatively, it could be an action. If any other spoken words could represent “You’re dreaming” then so could any action. Someone could wave at you and you would understand that this means, “You’re dreaming”.

The best way to approach it would be to find a recurring sequential dreamsign and condition yourself to make that dreamsign equate to “You’re dreaming”. For example, one of my dreamsigns is bowling a cricket ball. If I can condition myself to think that the action of bowling is no different to saying, “You’re dreaming” then in theory I can become lucid every time I experience the dreamsign of bowling a ball.

What I am interested in and would like feedback on is the finding of a universal dreamsign. I think that the fading of awareness could be seen as a possible candidate for a universal dreamsign that is present in every dream of every person?

Question: To become more aware of fading dreams, does focusing on the ending of dreams (or the last recalled memory) of a dream increase this ability? If sensing a fading dream could become a habit then we could invent some kind of conditioning that we would do when we experience fading of awareness in WL - when we go to sleep at night?

Yes, this is called LILD or CALD. Lucid Induced Lucid Dream, or Character Assisted Lucid Dream.

Yes, I know that. What do you think of the points made in the second post?

I think your “fading of awareness” dreamsign would definitely be a good thing to try, and as for your questions, you’d have to experiment those for yourself. Though I think it could work, but don’t take my advice over someone who’s a more experienced lucid dreamer. And, keep in mind that some people are just as aware in dreams as they are in WL. This includes some of the people who practice ADA, and the ultra-LDers, who get about 1500 LDs a year. These are people with a lucid mindset who are aware all the time, even in dreams.

Happy dreaming! :wink: