Lucidity Challenge 38: Awards Ceremony!

LC 38 Signups List (Name / Average LD Time / Personal Goal)

1. Rhewin / 5-7 minutes / have an LD longer than 25 minutes
  2. Thorn / 5 minutes / Visit my dream sanctuary
  3. Mew151 / < 10 seconds / Shoot fireworks from my hands
  4. HeadInTheClouds / 1.5 - 2 minutes / Clone myself in a mirror
  5. argon / 3-4 min/summon DC
  6. catt / 0 / meet someone from IRC
  7. LDbc12/ less than 1 min. / eat food in an LD
  8. James_UK2008/ 5min+/ Shapeshift into something!
  9. Ecila6 / 1 min / Blowing up (everything!)

Edit: Fixed the list, but muccy posted already :cry:

1.Rhewin / 5-7 minutes / have an LD longer than 25 minutes
2.Thorn / 5 minutes / Visit my dream sanctuary
10. muccy/10 seconds/ do the hand through other hand RC

11. Jessica / 2 min / make the world a better place

Announcement
Alrightly everyone! The LC 38 shall begin on Sunday, August 18, 2013! Be sure to check back here sometime around 6 PM EST (-5 GMT).

To those of you just finding the thread and wishing to join, I will accept 9 more contestants at which point the signups will close.

Should you find the thread after the challenge has started, I will continue to accept late entries until the twentieth contestant.

Less than a week, guys! Excited? I know I am! :happy:

SPOILER - Click to view

To those wondering why I haven’t been around the past few days, I’ve been taking “time off” from LD4All. I’m about to return to college (tomorrow!) and I’ve been spending pretty much every available moment with my family before the trip.

Alright, I’ll try! :grin:

1. Letaali/<10sec/Find my spirit guide to get wings :razz:

Okay everybody. We have our 12 starting contestants so here is our first task:

Task 1: Sight
We have sight all the time in our dreams, but usually we use it in a menial manner… so to speak. This week’s task will be to see something, but not like normal. You have to push this sense to the limit to earn points.

I want amazing wonderments of sight. I want fantastical images of awe. I want descriptions of complex intricacies that leave you lost. I want you to experience the shock of a wonder of your own world. Go forth and find it.

[b]1. See something Grand + 20

1. See something Inspiring + 20
  2. See something in Vivid Detail +15
    [/b]
    Obviously, your own interpretations of “grand” and “inspiring” will differ from mine. Therefore, in order to earn points for this task you have to describe what you saw in your dream. Be sure to do so in detail, though.

Bonus Task
During each task I will have one… somewhat random… bonus task. Each bonus will be worth 10 points and is eligible for lucid and combo points. You can only accomplish the bonus, however, during the week that it is given. This weeks bonus…

* Lay an egg!

Just lay an egg and let me know what happens!

This task will run for one week until approximately 6 PM EST, Sunday, August 25, 2013. Good luck!

12. Letaali/<10sec/Find my spirit guide to get wings
  13. Lumessence/:x/ Ask a DC to describe my physical appearance

Truly… I’m not sure if I can participate in this…

Also… ew.

Lumessence, what does :silent: mean? I need numbers of some sort otherwise you’ll be stuck with the defaults.

Okay! I’ll give it a try.

13. Lumessence/:x/ Ask a DC to describe my physical appearance
  14. Yev / 30 sec / Swim in the ocean

Honestly there’s just no way i can determine an average length… The best I can do is make a note on what I would consider a longer, or shorter dream. I don’t know what you mean by defaults, but i really don’t know what else to do.

It’s difficult to determine, because essentially any night that any form of lucidity is involved, it is technically all night long. Though a vast majority of the time it is a low level lucidity, I just simply cannot determine an average length. It’s hit or miss with me, and that really depends on how much sleep i get that night.

If you have any suggestions, I’ll go with it… I’m a bit stuck on this one aswell.

To make it simple, i suppose I could just put 1 hour, since that may actually be the accumulative amount of time i spend actually interfering with my dreams.

13. Lumessence/5m/ Ask a DC to describe my physical appearance
  14. Yev / 30 sec / Swim in the ocean

Well it’s your choice, Lumessence, when it comes to what you consider average. One hour is fine… but you’ll have the longest “average” compared to anyone else, and for that I congratulate you. :razz:

The “defaults” are for those who don’t put down an average LD length or those who haven’t had an LD yet. catt, for example, will have the following LD lengths:
< 1 minute == short
1 → 5 minutes == medium

5 minutes == long
These are the quote-unquote default times for the challenge. If you believe that your average LD length is an hour long, we’ll go with that. :smile:

EDIT: Oh, and welcome Yev!

Hmm… I’d rather not be overly exclusive… Inparticular, I’d be using it as a variable for personal relativity, rather than definitive… I’m changing it to 5 mins, to avoid the raising of eyebrows, or unsettling outlook.

And god, I am sounding like a nerd… :confused:
That should do it! sorry for the drama. Still learning :wink:

Also, FA hell.

Not really sure about what you would consider accomplishing in this, but there it is.
Though I’m not sure what could be more vivid than an FA.

Unfortunately, this is quite the opposite of LD.

So, I’m a little unclear on how the scoring will work for my dreams last night. I noticed that a brief LD is no longer part of the scoring system, so I assume that they count as a short LD now. Also, I had an amazing amount of control in my LD last night, which is unusual for me. Hopefully it will become the norm :smile: .

I had one brief (or short if I’m correct on how the scoring works) LD. Additionally, I had another brief LD, lost my lucidity for a little while, and then regained it in the same dream and had a short LD at that point. When I managed to regain my lucidity, I was in the middle of being chased by someone. Realizing I was lucid, I knew I needed to get to work on the LC, so I decided since I was outside, I would just be in a grassy field with everything else in the dream removed. To my shock and amazement, I actually ended up in an extremely vivid grass of field, being able to see many of the different blades of grass blowing in the wind. I don’t know if that counts for the third part of the task or not, but the field of grass was very vivid. In that field I managed to lay an egg, which I was surprised was so easy, but failed at my overarching plan to score loads of combo points. I cracked the egg open, attempting to see an entirely different universe contained within the egg, but all there was in it was a mushy green lump, which looked like the color of an avocado . As my plan to see something grand inside the egg failed, I attempted to look up at the sky, but awoke before I saw anything.

The way in which I think this adds up is in the spoiler below. Let me know if I’m wrong.

My stats:

[spoiler]Short LD: 2
Chain: 1
Task 1:
–part 3 L & E
–Bonus L
Combo pts: 1[/spoiler]

Proving once again that I can complete goals other people set for me but can’t complete my own personal goals, I began this LC with my longest LD to date. Here’s a LD that feels like it barely edged out the one in which I was you in terms of its length. It completes Part 3 of the Task, completes the Bonus Task, and then finishes Quest 22, “Resize Yourself”, for this month’s Quest after I screwed it up last time (although I still didn’t get as small as I would have liked). If you define “grand” as “opulent” or “rich”, then I also completed Part 1, as my egg was inadvertently golden. I don’t think that’s what you meant, though. :razz:

If i need to give the details that were too explicit for that post, either for Part 3’s points or to prove it was actually my longest despite having less words than my previous longest, I’ll do so via PM; I’d rather not type it publicly. I think the gist is clear from the journal entry, though.

Lumessence, it’s your decision as to what you consider your “average” LD length to be. The system is entirely subjective when it comes to that point. If you think you had what you considered to be a short LD, I’ll believe you. If you believe you had a medium one, I’ll believe you… If you think you had a long one, I’ll believe you… The time is only there so that when I read your DJ entry, I could confirm it… but considering you don’t even have to submit a DJ entry there’s really no way… It’s really an honor based system. :razz:

HeadInTheClouds: Your calculations are correct. I removed the “brief” LD length as I considered it cutting hairs. Short, medium, or long. Far simpler in my opinion. I do need to know, though, if you consider your second short LD in which you regained lucidity a “short” LD. You may have had it broken into two parts, but if the sum of those parts is what you would consider a medium LD I’d accept it as so.

Thorn: Once again you prove to me that competition is the right motivation for improving LD length, quality, and quantity. :razz: Really wish I was participating right now. I could use a boost. But I digress. Yea, that’s not how I was using the word “grand”, but I left it open to y’all’s interpretation of the word. It was a detail that would usually go unnoticed so I’ll accept it since the goal of this task is to improve the quality of visual details within one’s dreams.

*Scipio winks at everyone. :wink:

Alright, so, according to the average LD time I submitted, last night I had a long lucid dream. However, I think that the time i put in (less than 1 min.) is tooo short. At the time that I posted it, I wasn’t really thinking carefully about my average time. It really should be around 3 minutes. I am afraid that because of my under exaggerated time i will always be getting a higher score than i should. I know the rules say "Be careful, average LD lengths cannot be changed while the challenge runs. ", but I just want to be fair to everyone else, and I would really appreciate it if I could change my average LD time to 3 minutes.

If everyone else doesn’t have a problem with increasing your time (which would make it more difficult for you to score points) I don’t have a problem with it. That rule (and others like it) are designed specifically to avoid this kind of situation, but accidents happen. I’ll allow the change. If anyone has any problems with that please PM me with your reason why it shouldn’t be allowed and I will consider your input.

Also, pretty much the same has been occurring with Lumessence. I’m waiting to hear from her what she has to say about my final post. If anyone else made a mistake NOW is the time to come forth. I’ll only be considering further changes up until I’m certain of Lumessence’s final decision on her time. At that point I’ll make a post stating that no more changes will be considered.

Alright, thanks. By the way, that would have been a medium lucid dream.

Ah. I wasn’t clear that you were expecting a further response. I have declared 5m as my final medium length :wink:

Okay. :smile: Thanks guys. I’ll keep this all in mind.

That being said any chance for changes is over. Good luck with the current task!