Help, can't sleep on back

Hey, Guys the past couple of days I’ve been struggling to get to sleep.
So 2 days ago i tried the WILD technique and lay on my back and it took me 1 hour to realize I couldn’t sleep so I just lay on my side and went to sleep.
The next day I tried it again and the same thing happened, but I could remember more of my normal dream. Yesterday I put on a mantra and it took me 1 and a half hours to get to sleep and none of the times I got to sleep were on my back.

I can never get to sleep on my back and it’s really hard for me to stay in one spot, any techniques you suggest? I think I’m going to go to bed normally and wake up 4 and a half hours after I sleep.

You could try WILD’ing on not your back. You don’t need to lay on your back to do the WILD technique. Or any technique for that matter… Whatever the most comfortable position is to you is the best position for you to be in.

Also, have you tried any techniques besides WILD?

Yes I’ve tried MILD, tonight I’m going to try to wake myself up at like 3:30 or 4:30

Just lie on your side if you can’t fall asleep. You did do WILD at like 3:30 or 4:30 though right?

I have the same problem. on my back and I’m not relaxed enough to sleep, and on my side and I lose all awarenessaltogether with no chance of lucidity. Keep trying. It’s not always easy but when you get there its worth it.

Don’t push yourself with things that are uncomfortable or not doable to you. Like it’s suggested by others you don’t need to fall asleep on your back to actually be successful with a technique. Although I would argue that falling asleep on the back has it’s benefits but that’s for the another topic.

Second thing it’s not about in which position you fall asleep but it’s about how you fall asleep and keep in mind that WILD is actually knowing how to properly fall asleep, nothing else. The road to knowing that is a bit longer or shorter depends on the dreamer in comparison to other techniques.

And the third and the most important thing is when you read guides, tutorials and others opinions (mine opinion too) keep in mind that’s all said from personal view of point and experience. So there is a lot of things correct in theory but when you comply it to your specific situation, things start not to work as they are described. So be aware and be aware that on the road toward knowledge you will change a lot of things and discover new truths which will only work for you.

Good luck! :content:

I used to always sleep on my stomach or side, and I still do occasionally. However, about a year ago I decided that, for whatever reasons, it would be more appropriate to sleep on my back.

One possible explanation is that when I used to sleep on my stomach my arm would wind up under my head under my pillow and I’d cut it’s circulation off. I’d wake with my arm half asleep and painful.

Still, for whatever reason, I decided to start sleeping on my back. The first night was difficult! Just like you I’d lay for an hour struggling against the urge to roll over into a “comfortable” position. Now I put comfortable in quotes because laying on my back is just as comfortable as on my side or stomach (probably more so than the side). The only reason I (and possibly you) seem to have difficulty sleeping on your back is because you’re not used to it.

Well, over the course of however long it took (I can’t really remember :tongue: ) I made an effort to lay on my back when I went to sleep. I tucked myself in even placing pillows directly to each of my sides to keep me from rolling; should I feel fidgety or decide to roll over I’d catch myself.

After trying so many times I find I have no problem going to sleep on my back usually. It just took some time and telling my body that it was okay. Now I find laying on my back to be the most comfortable position… but there’s times when it’s not. This is probably because I’ve spent the majority of my life laying on my stomach. That’s over 15 years one way and suddenly trying to change that.

So my advice is that if you still want to sleep on your back, don’t give up! Keep trying, and eventually you’ll find it to be easy. As a way to help shorten how long you take to fall asleep try not to think about anything. I’ve found that if I do it right I can blank my mind and be out in as early as five minutes.

If the reason you’re trying to lay on your back is to WILD, like others have mentioned, you don’t have to lay on your back! Most of my WILDs have been seated in chairs so you don’t even have to be laying down!

With that said, good luck in whatever you choose to do!