LC #41 - Congratulations Thorn!

all i remember than i woke up and told myself to remember that i became lucid for like 20 seconds and rode.

Had a short LD here which was probably no more than 1 minute long. I remembered the LC as well as our current group incubation and was able to briefly summon Thorn.

It doesn’t seem as if I was lucid tonight. In the evening, I took a shower to relax myself and then made a feeble attempt at meditation, but my mind was restless and wandered. Heck, this entry is pointless, considering there was zero lucidity involved. Nevertheless, I feel the need to update daily.

As a note of warning, I put down my unabridged, full entry.

[spoiler]I was in my room, and it was a very early morning, considering it was still dark outside. I wanted to take a shower, but for some inexplicable reason, a wild ferret was in my room. Likely, it snuck in somehow. The thing looked scruffy and was roughly the size of my foot. I wanted it to leave, but wasn’t exactly sure how. Throughout my room and bathroom, there were lots of clothes and other trinkets (like shelves) where it could hide below. My attempts were somewhat coherent at first - I would not dare to touch it directly, and was trying to scare it onto the balcony. However, it kept trying to get back in. Increasingly frustrated, my methods became more hectic. It bit my feet in retaliation. Conclusively, I became so frustrated, I stomped it dead (suddenly, I was wearing shoes). I could not hear or feel the impact, and the ferret seemed to be killed before it could make a sound. I could feel something squishy on my shoe, but didn’t look down. In the aftermath, I started to feel sorry.

I can remember being outside, and talking to my mother, who was slightly in the distance. We were in some park-like area with an urban area seconds away. It was still dark. I tried to approach the topic of the ferret I killed in frustration, but would not tell her directly. In the end, I started comparing the ferret to my deceased pet rat.

Later, I found myself in the backseat of our car. I can clearly remember my parents, but I’m not sure whether my sister was there. The trip started out in a city-like environment and there were quite a lot of tall buildings. This time, however, it was day, but it was cloudy and grey. Supposedly, this was a place we only recently moved into. I looked forth towards some buildings, and knew that behind those buildings there was a school (which I would go to). Wondering what it was called, I asked. I got an answer. Since then, the answer has been forgotten, but it was somewhat short, likely an acronym or abbreviation of some sort.

A short time later, I came to my senses and found myself incredibly tired. Apparently, we were now in some field-like area, or perhaps it was some sort of place for farms and plantations. In the distance, I saw houses and assumed it was a sub-urban village. Either way, the sky had cleared up, and the street has been replaced by a dirt road. Tired but curious, I asked my father why we were here. He told me that he had to visit an acquaintance, and that it considered a large sum of money he let him borrow. Supposedly, this money was for some eye-based operation.

I faintly remember being in a town with narrow streets and towering buildings, roughly two to three floors at average. The buildings looked slightly timeworn.

In disregard to the previously established setting, I found myself in some sort of videogame shop. Apparently, my parents were going to buy my sister Pokémon X and Y. My father was reluctant to pay the price, wondering whether the investment would be worth it. I suddenly remember how a large part of my recently received games were quite old, being either Gameboy Advance games or non-existing entries of existing series. I also faintly remember what seemed to be a bootleg Pokémon game, but not much detail on that. I asked my mother where she had brought these games, considering I personally had a lot of trouble with it. She tells me the name of the store (which I forget after the dream). Afterwards, I decided to look through various products. I saw a Wii-U, but considering I already had it, I ignored it. Opposite of said Wii-U, I found a copy of what was supposed to be Half-Life 1. It was an orange box, and it had a rather strange title (which, once more, I cannot remember). Looking on the back of the box for pictures, I saw that the game was graphically enhanced from the original, but was still a far cry from the sequel. The frightened NPCs who ran and were eaten looked glossy and were very pointy. It seemed as if the polygons were stretchable in some form.

The dream switched away from my own perspective, and I was now watching some trailer of Half-Life. It detailed some untrue things. First, Gordon was wandering about in the underground lab, and a chubby monster showed up, cartoony in proportions but detailed in textures (albeit they were primitive and blurry). The trailer told us that you had choices and that you could play the game whatever way you wanted. The monster chased Gordon for a while, but he jumped down a big square hole. Once in there, there was a pathway partially obstructed by a grate. Gordon crouched and passed the grate. The monster was just too tall for the grate, and didn’t bother crouching or anything, and instead continued its running animation towards Gordon.

Next thing I know, I’m playing some odd, unspecified game. It seems that creating stuff was part of it, but also had other elements. Currently, I can say that it was a strange mixture of Minecraft and Dishonored, with all the coherence ripped away. I apparently shrunk myself down to the size of a mouse, and build this tiny door. Suddenly, a rat came through, upright and with cartoony proportions. In one hand it had a spear. The rat grumbled a bit, and walked off. I considered the rat a bug, and tried to think of a way to get rid of it.[/spoiler]

Edit: I was amazed at how I managed to get roughly 2,000 words, but then I realized that I accidentally copied it twice. Whoops.

And now that’s done…

I mainly base my statement on the fact that I had some ridiculously long dreams that, by definition, were lucid dreams. However, they were dumb and incomprehensible to my waking self. The dreams felt false and empty, and I don’t see it any better than any old regular dream. I did not feel I was myself. On the other hand, I had some short dreams, and I felt so much more in control of myself.

The latter’s what I want - I want to wake up from a dream, and feel as if I’m the same person I was in the dream. Not watching some idiot run around and do ■■■■ that I already told myself I wouldn’t do.

I’m aware my reasoning is a bit off, but… well yeah, that’s the general gist of things. I just don’t consider the concept of time important. There’s nothing more to it. And if I did, then it would be something that would come later, after I mastered whatever it is I talked above.

But pay me no heed, you can have your fun. :3

[i]Edit: … … … … … … . … . . . .

And now I just realized that the task is to ‘ride’. Thanks, subconsciousness. I change my mind. You ain’t a piece of crap. :>

…unless, of course, it doesn’t count because I was not lucid. Either way, I found it interesting nonetheless. ^[1]

1. /i ↩︎

Well… Someone burnt a pizza, so I was going to get after them for it. They took off, and when I tried to follow, as soon as I left the house, a timer appeared in the bottom right, counting down from 2 minutes… So I used the pizza as a type of hover-board, and chased them through a course through town, throwing ice balls at him to try to freeze him in place.

The dream journal isn’t only to record lucid dreams. It’s there to enhance recall, which can be a factor in the triggering and efficiency of Lucid dreaming. Therefore, you should write in the journal regardless of whether it was lucid, normal, or complete random gibberish. :content: No entry is pointless.

Also… Time is a form of maintaining the lucid dream. And if nothing else, it allows you more time to accomplish something, or take things in.

I rode in a plane last night, as well as a taxi in the same ND. I feel like I had a dream at some point that involved me being chased, but I can’t remember it :sad: .

As far as the above conversation is going, both quality and length of lucid dreams are important. For the LC, the main goal is to get lucid more often, regardless of quality. The other main goal is to complete the tasks, which indirectly measure the quality of a lucid dream, as they require a good amount of dream control. While quality is very important, it is easier to compare relative lengths of lucid dreams for a competition. Thus, one could focus more on the quality of their lucid dreams, but just like length, both improve over time. The longer you can maintain your lucidity, the more likely you will be able to improve the quality of each lucid dream. The higher the quality of your lucid dream does not always translate to learning how to sustain lucidity for a longer period, as I’ve found both take lots of practice; therefore, lots of short dreams make it harder to practice and learn versus not as high quality longer dreams where you can practice and learn better. I get where you’re coming from, and I think that a person could get away with emphasizing either; we simply choose to emphasize length.

These are just my opinions; others may disagree.

I absolutely agree. Your explanation was better than mine. :content:

@HeadInTheClouds:

Hey, thanks! For your input, that is. It makes sense. Nevertheless, I’ve decided to just keep quiet about it for now, never mind what I think myself. :tongue:

Well, no. I don’t think the entry itself is pointless. I’m too savvy with the concept of lucid dreams and recall and what-not. What I meant was that I didn’t think the dream itself would contribute to the LC, and as such, shouldn’t be posted in the LC thread.

That is, until I realized I spent 60% of the dream in a car… I sort of didn’t catch onto that until quite a while later. xD

I had a brief moment of lucidity in the first LD here and had a long LD for the second LD, which finished the monthly quest for the sixth time this month and also had an ND part that involved riding two sedans (already claimed previously), a turbine, and a freefalling Tetris block. I attempted the task lucidly but misremembered it.

@Rhewin: Congrats on being the first one to complete the task. :tongue:

@Mew151: No, unfortunately only tasks completed in dreams will count for this LC. Congrats on getting up on the boards though! :happy:

@HeadInTheClouds: That “new technique” sounds like a fancy version of autosuggestion, actually. :razz: Also, a taxi is just a fancy car, really (and an SUV counts as a car in my book). I did count the go-kart though since it seemed different enough.

@Lumessence: I won’t count the horse one as a chase as I consider a chase someone/something trying to escape the other, but the pizza hoverboard chase certainly counts. Also, were your entries lucid dreams? I know you get lucid quite often. If they are, I need the lengths to correct the scores. In any case, riding a pizza is certainly creative, so I’ll give you points for that! :smile:

@Scipio:

@demented: I’ll give you the riding points, but I kinda need to know what you rode if you wanna claim any additional points later on for riding things.

@James: Close on that shapeshifting attempt but no cigar. :smile:

@Oleg: Yeah, I read through your dream anyway just in case you might have been in a car and not realized it before I saw that you noticed it in the edit. :tongue:

@Thorn: So close, but no lucid task points yet. :tongue:

Here are the scores so far. Please let me know if you feel there is an error somewhere. Wyverns are close to but not perfect!

1. Mew151: 60
  2. Thorn: 205
  3. ZRVera: 0
  4. ian1: 0
  5. Scipio Xaos: 20
  6. HeadInTheClouds: 155
  7. James_UK2008: 75
  8. muccy: 0
  9. Rhewin: 140
  10. BrandonBoss: 140
  11. Yev: 0
  12. Lumessence: 105
  13. mr_Block: 0
  14. demented: 100
  15. Oleg: 50

Yes, they were lucid, sorry. I’ll specify that from now on… I’d just say short, actually.

Also. Olive is probably my least favorite color in existence >_>… Wow Lumi… Really…?

Now if only I can muster up the motivation to take the time to start writing in my DJ again…

Alright, your score has been corrected. :smile:

;_;

No recall…

… Well, guess I’m givin’ up now. :tongue: Well, no. I’m not, but I am quite sad.

Had an ND here which featured me stowing away on a steampunk airship and eventually taking control of it. Just to clarify, is there a particular ruling regarding LC things appearing in NDs? I can’t see it in the rules…

Yeah, I think you get points for LC in ND, but you get additional points for having LDs. :smile:

But… I think there are some things which do require you to become lucid… like the monthly quest… I believe… I’m not sure, though.

Rode in a bus in an ND,
And in one of those sub-parallels, I was riding in a helicopter while lucid…’ That is probably worth writing about in my DJ, actually…

I am actually willing to take back that claim on lucidity if you disagree, as it get’s extensively complicated.
Since the mechanics are fairly unique to myself, but to my view, for me, it was lucidity. For others simply hearing about it, it was just an interesting normal dream.
ND or LD, I’ll let you make that call. I’m ok with it either way, I don’t want unfair or unjustified points. Also, i think it fair to say that if anyone disagrees, i won’t argue it.

I’ve written the entry in my DJ

Ok, first of all I had a medium lucid dream in which I rode on a space ship, and a continued ND where I rode on a lunar lander (very scifi).

Last night I had a long lucid dream in which I rode something I have already discussed with Wyvern <.<

Tasks done in NDs count, they just don’t get the lucid points.

Not as unique as you might think. :tongue:
I’m familiar with these kinds of layers myself. I just need to know the length.

This ND features a brief ride atop a cruise ship.

Two short lucids. Stress keeping me away from more LDs. One of them I was riding in a car. The other one was just a brief moment of lucidity. Before I woke up.

LD:
I am driving down a back road with my wife. I am lost and realize that I am dreaming. Enough to know that I can do anything, not enough to deviate from the plot. I imagine the map of the area in the sky and neon lights are in the shape of the map with an arrow where I am at and a star where I want to go. I keep driving while looking at it and drive past! I back up and find mywway to the place. I wake up as soon as I arrive.

LD#2:
Inappropriate dream. Realize I am dreaming… Continue.

Well, i was referring more specifically to the waking dream “feeling” I get with waking dreams, being present in that layer. That part i’m fairly sure is unique. That’s something that I’ve not encountered before (though I have had lucidity in sub-layers before). Regardless, I guess that detail isn’t truly a necessity…

Short… Sorry.