Was that a FLD? What on earth was it? Oh, and a question.

Hi all,

So, I’m dreaming that I’ve just realized that I’m dreaming. I’m dreaming that I do a reality check, and although I find it odd that I can’t push my fingers through my palm, I can pinch my nose and breathe. But I’m still dreaming - I don’t feel I’m lucid - there is that spark of “wow - this is a dream, and I’m aware”, but I still feel that it’s only what my dream personality is doing. The conscious me isn’t really there.

Ever happen to anyone? (I did do a search on the archives, and I guess it did - just wondered if anyone had the time for any fresh feedback).

The question bit is this: The first (and only) time I ever had a real lucid experience was when I realized, a month or so ago, that I couldn’t read text. It hit me like a sledgehammer - “I’m DREAMING” - but I was so excited I lost it. I thought, then, that every time I tried to read in a ND, It would be a trigger. But, no. I read a lot in WL and in dreams, but since this one occasion, whenever I’m in a dream and I read text, I dream that I can understand it. The RC I was hoping would stay with me has gone.

So, I guess I need to RC on reading in WL to trigger the RC when I try to read in dreams. Anyone else tried to do this? If so, any tips?

If that’s how you feel, I would say it was a FLD. For the RC to work you have to believe that not being able to read means you are dreaming. You also have to often ask yourself in WL “Am I dreaming?” and read something to find out. However, I don’t think reading is the best RC. I have had dreams where the text is unreadable but I still understand it. I have found just asking the question “Am I dreaming?” to be the most important thing. The first thing that comes to my mind after thinking that are all the RCs I know. I just do a bunch of them and become lucid if I’m lucky.

Yes, I think you’re right. Had another one last night. I was in an hotel room, and realized I’d left my luggage at the airport. Thought to myself “Well, as this is just a dream, surely if I just imagine the luggage being in my room, it’ll get here”. Well, the luggage didn’t turn up, and there was no flash of lucidity. Most frustrating.

Again, I think you’re right. If had dozens of dreams since that occasion I mentioned where the text is illegible, but I just dream I can understand it. I need to find some others. A lot more.

Thanks for the input!

No problem! :smile: I would like to add that sometimes you don’t even need to RC. Sometimes in a dream you get a strong enough trigger that a reality check is not needed. But RCing often helps to keep awareness up so it’s good. Improving dream recall and writing down as many details as you can is also good, because that can make you pay more attention to details in dreams giving you more opportunities to become lucid.

That was not a FLD, nor was it a LD.
It was just a ND where you dreamt to think you were dreaming;
a FLD is a ND where you act as if you knew you were dreaming, taking “Sub-concious but looking like concious” actions in your dreams.

FLD Example;
I once was in some kind of scene with friends, and i somehow came to the topic about how i was able to LD. I did a RC And i said, heck im even dreaming now.
Although i did a RC and my character thought it was dreaming, i wasn’t really concious of it, i was still as dreaming as i was before.
But i did exactly those things i would’ve done in a real LD

Its hard to explain but youll experience it eventually… sometime…

Xaren.

It seems people have different definitions of FLD. This has been a discussion many times before.

I consider all the dreams where I say “I’m dreaming” or my inner voice says “This is a dream, you can’t get hurt” to be FLDs if I don’t become lucid. It’s like in WL when someone yells me something while I’m focusing on a game and I answer “Ok, sure” without actually processing what I heard.

I’m starting to think that making a difference between FLD and ND is useless if it causes so much debate.

Well the difference is, is that i have experienced both sides,
Dreams in which i have said i am dreaming, and nothing comes from it, and dreams
Where i dream that i seems to know that im dreaming, whichof i am not concious of (False Lucid Dream)

I still act as if i am lucid, and take “What looks to be concious choices” which in general are not.

Im not debating, im writing logic.
Not that i wanted to offend you or anyone who takes the definition differently.

But it sounds more logical to say FLD to something where you actually act as if you were in an LD

instead of defining it a FLD once you say “I am dreaming”.

It always affects how I act in a dream, if I know on some level that I’m dreaming. “Act as a lucid dreamer” is not a good definition.

I had a dream where I stopped being afraid when my inner voice said that it’s a dream so I shouldn’t fear anything.

In another dream, a nightmare, I could fly, teleport, change my size and shoot flames when I knew on a subconscious level that it was dream. I used those abilities because the situation needed it.

I consider those both to be NDs and FLDs. Yes, I consider a FLD to be a non-lucid dream where I know it’s a dream, it should not be defined by my actions. How the rest of the world defines it is up to them.