Lucidity Challenge 42—Winner: Wyvern!

The spoiler tags are just to control this post’s length; don’t be afraid to read anything! The only change from LC 41 is in the Teams section, which also affects your sign-up.

Previous Challenges

[spoiler]LC I - TM and initiator: Ian1 - winner: -=JaSoN=-
LC II - TM: Magnus - winner: Q
LC III - TM: Q - winner: Bravsein
LC IV - TM: Bravsein - winner: WritersCube
LC V - TM: WritersCube - winner: dimsya
LC VI - TM: dimsya - winner: Queen SD
LC VII - TM: Ysim - winner: Mugiwara
LC VIII - TM: Mugiwara - winner: Ysim
LC IX - TM: Ysim - winner: Tundra
LC X -TM: Tundra - winner: ebilshrimp
LC 11 - TM: ebilshrimp - winner: Tundra
LC 12 - TM: HebrewB - winner: mattiasdavis
LC 13 - TM: Blue&White - winner: relV
LC 14 - TM: relV - winner: GHOSTIE11
LC 15 - TM: GHOSTIE11 - winner: unknownuser33
LC 16 - TM: Danielns13 - winner: rkr7
LC 17 - TM: Angelmouse - winner: pasQuale
LC 18 - TM: Magnus - winner: Amaryllis
LC 19 - TM: Amaryllis - winner: Dryalantha
LC 20 - TM: Dryalantha - winner: Shadow Dreamer and Amaryllis
LC 21 - TM: Shadow Dreamer - winner: Undecided (but probably Wyvern)
LC 22 - TM: Danilens13 - winner: tosxyChor
LC 23 - TM: tosxyChor - winner: Wyvern
LC 24 - TM: Wyvern - winner: tosxyChor
LC 25 - TM: Rhewin - winner: Solaris
LC 26 - TM: Solaris - winner: Rhewin
LC 27 - TM: tosxyChor - winner: Rhewin
LC 28 - TM: Rhewin - winner: Siiw
LC 29 – TM: Siiw – winner: Rhewin
LC 30 – TM: Puce – winner: Wega
LC 31 - TM: Mimmo0 - winner: Limitles
LC 32 - TM: Limitles - winner: Nicklebrick
LC 33 - TM: Nicklebrick - winner: elnaureth
LC 34 - TM: elnaureth - winner: DreamSailor
LC 35 - TM: Ysim - winner: Koharo
LC 36 - TM: Rhewin - winner: HeadInTheClouds
LC 37 - TM: HeadInTheClouds - winner: Scipio Xaos
LC 38 - TM: Scipio Xaos - winner: Thorn
LC 39 - TM: Thorn - winner: Koharo
LC 40 - TM: HeadInTheClouds - winner: Wyvern
LC 41 - TM: Wyvern - winner: Thorn
[/spoiler]
Introduction

[spoiler]Hello there! I’m Thorn, the Task Master ™ for Lucidity Challenge 42! For those of you that were in the last Lucidity Challenge (LC), know that I’m nearly as awesome as the previous TM, “the amazing Wyvern”; I just don’t have AniGIFs of myself like he does because only LD4all Awesome+ subscribers can get those. I also hosted LC 39, and many of the revisions to the LC that I made back then seem to have stuck around, so I must have done something right. :smile: Here’s hoping for a second LC of right things, and that the seven tasks presented to the participants are fun and challenging!

Also, don’t worry about lame theming; I won’t create a deep, philosophical “meaning” for your lucid dreams just because LC 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything. :tongue:[/spoiler]
Purpose

SPOILER - Click to view

The purpose of the LC in its current form is to serve as a motivator for good lucid dream practices, to create an atmosphere of both competition and cooperation, to create a challenge for lucid dreamers of all levels, and to provide fun to all participants. I hope that everybody gets to experience all of these while participating!

Challenge Structure

[spoiler]The LC will consist of seven lucid dreaming tasks that run for seven days each. Each task will be broken into many subtasks that are each worth points, and each participant will attempt to accrue as many points as possible via finishing the subtasks in lucid dreams and normal dreams, having long lucid dreams, cooperating with teammates (see the Teams section for details), and other means. At the end of the 49 days, the participant with the most points wins!

I am unsure of exactly what the winner gets, but I list these in order of how certain I am that the winner receives them…* The right to host the next LC as he sees fit. He can accept this offer, decline it and pass it to the runner-up, accept it alongside many people behind him for a team effort, rename it something zany, or whatever he likes. (100% sure)

• The secret to changing every normal dream into a lucid dream. The secret is not to be shared on penalty of death. (99% sure)
  • A $1000 Amazon.com coupon that is past its expiration date. (70% sure)
  • A pet dragon (that may or may not be the previous LC’s host). (30% sure)
  • Love. (1% sure)
    I make no guarantees on the receipt of rewards for which I am not 100% sure.[/spoiler]
    Scoring

[spoiler]The scoring system includes a high amount of subjectivity and many ways of earning points. This means that each participant can challenge himself or herself appropriately by choosing which points to attempt to earn and by reflecting differently upon his or her own lucid dreams from the past when making length and personal goal decisions. Points will be awarded as follows; I’m being verbose for the sake of covering exceptions to rules, so it’s less complicated than it looks!* Lucid Dreams and Induction Methods[list][*]You get 5 points if you wonder if you are dreaming but do not become lucid.

• You get 20, 30, 40, or 50 points for a lucid dream you would consider short, medium-length, long, or your longest ever (respectively) based on lucid dreams you have had in the past. If you are entering the LC without any past lucid dreams, note that you will get 75 points for your first lucid dream and that your length scale from your second lucid dream onward will be Short ≤ 1 minute < Medium-length ≤ 5 minutes < Long < Longest.
  • You get 10 points for losing and regaining lucidity either within a dream or via DEILDing, applicable only once per dream. Note that dreams connected by a period of no lucidity or by DEILD are considered one dream for the purpose of the LC to avoid giving ludicrous amounts of points to skilled DEILDers, and in this situation the overall length is the combined length of all lucid parts.
  • You get 50 points for becoming lucid through an induction method for the first time ever as long as the dream is not your first lucid dream ever. Note that I reserve the right to declare slight variants on methods as “not new” if nothing substantial is introduced.
    [/:m][]Actions Within Dreams (see the Teams section for details on team-based points)* You get the listed amount of points for completing a generic subtask or a subtask designed for your team.
  • You get half of the listed amount of points for completing a subtask designed for teams other than yours.
  • You get 30 “Lucid” points, applicable once per task, for completing a subtask while lucid. Completing a second subtask for a task for which you already have this bonus will not award a second bonus.
  • You get 20 “Early” or “Combo” points, applicable once per task, for completing a subtask while it is part of the most recent task or for completing a subtask alongside a subtask from another task, respectively. You can earn only one of these two 20 point bonuses per task.
  • You get 30 points for completing your team’s Team Dream, applicable once per task. Extra points beyond 30 may be offered in some situations.
  • You get 75 points for completing the LD4all Monthly Quest while lucid, applicable exactly once per Quest. Note that it does not always update monthly despite the name, but I have no control over this; please don’t direct complaints to me! If you complete the Quest active at the start of the LC before the start, you may “complete” it while lucid during the LC while it is still the most recent Quest to earn the 75 points.
  • You get 100 points for completing a personal goal that you set in your sign-up post (see Sign-Ups for more information) while lucid, and 25 points for completing a second personal goal that you may pick after completing the first one while lucid. You may not change this goal before completing it once the LC starts, so choose wisely.
  • You may get up to 10 points for being creative within your lucid dreams. These are subjective on my part and are thus worth little to keep the LC fair but to encourage doing more than going through the motions in your lucid dreams. I reserve the right to issue a tiebreaker even if there is not a tie if I feel that the winner won only on these subjective creativity points.
    [/*:m][/list:u]When you claim points, please be sure to state the length of any lucid dreams you are claiming, which actions you are claiming for points, and which actions were done non-lucidly and lucidly. I highly suggest linking your dream journal or describing relevant parts, as this allows me to judge your point claims accurately, award creativity points if applicable, or find points that you may not have known you could claim.

You are free to calculate points to check your standing, but I am the official scorekeeper. If you feel I made an error in points, please PM me immediately and I will either explain or correct my scoring. We are here to have fun, so if you and I disagree on how many points you have earned, please do not make a scene in public. If you don’t like how I award points, then win the LC so you can make up your own rules! :tongue:[/spoiler]
Teams color=red[/color]

[spoiler]The idea of group work started as a behind-the-scenes activity during LC 37, was introduced into the LC proper in LC 39, was revised again for LCs 40 and 41, and will now receive one more revision for LC 42. This revision was made considering the percentage of people that participated in group work in past LCs (typically not the majority, but still a reasonable percentage of participants) and suggestions made by Rhewin about giving a reward to an entire group when anybody is successful. It also allows for a more personalized LC experience, as earning more points for subtasks in line with your own desires removes the frustration of dreaming of things you dislike just to earn the largest amount of points in a task.

When you sign up, you will choose to enter one of the following three teams.* The Action team is all about getting things done. Fun activities, superpowers, and other forms of indulgence are what this team wants to do, and its subtasks will cater directly to that. Team members should expect to have a good sense of willpower-based dream control and would benefit from good summoning skills; you could also use this team to build such skills.

• The Traveler team is about exploring the subconscious. This team’s priority is finding astonishing dreamscapes and seeing how settings appear in dreams, enjoying their “realism” or lack thereof. While in these dreamscapes, the team should attempt subtasks from other teams for additional points. This team’s subtasks can almost all be done with one dream control method, e.g., expecting a certain dreamscape beyond a door, but what appears is the fun part!
  • The Shapeshifter team isn’t just focused on the activities being done or on the settings of those activities, but also on how the dreamer fits into the picture. Adapting the dream self to the tasks is the name of the game, and this group will need to distort its body or take on a new body entirely for its subtasks. This is often considered to be “difficult” (although that varies from dreamer to dreamer), and more of this team’s points will appear near the end of the LC instead of near the start, but this team will get to decide an important and fun detail about a task late in the LC to compensate for these hurdles and create a fun experience. Furthermore, my experience is that people with such a specific interest tend to bond very quickly and will likely form a strong team effort.
    You can choose your team based on your skills, based on what you want to improve, based on what you’ve never tried, based on the stated difficulty level, or whatever metric you desire; you get to decide your LC experience! Remember that you will get full credit for your team’s subtasks and for generic subtasks but will only get half credit for subtasks belonging to other teams, and remember that you can’t change your team later, although I may make exceptions to this if participants start disappearing and teams become weighed down by inactive members.

Once the LC starts, teams will each get their own collaborative workspace to design Team Dreams, which are worth points just as a team’s subtasks would be. Team Dreams require participants to complete a particular team subtask in a particular way decided by an entire team and in the presence of a dream character representing a matching team member (e.g., Action team member for Action Team Dreams). Each team will get 48 hours after each task is posted to design the dream in its workspace.

The team with the highest rate of current subtasks per team member (including Team Dreams as subtasks) each week will get a perk for the next week, such as an additional team subtask or the choice of the next task given two possibilities! Be sure to motivate your teammates to get rewards![/spoiler]
Sign-Ups

[spoiler]I am aiming to start the LC between Friday night and Sunday night, as past LC participants seemed to prefer task updates on weekends, but I will adjust this based on if sign-ups are faster or slower than normal; I do not want to keep participants waiting long nor do I want to start with too few people. I hope to receive 10 sign-ups before starting.

When signing up, please quote the sign-up list from the most recent post containing it and add your entry to the bottom of the list. Your sign up should include your username, average lucid dream length (not required, but appreciated), your desired team, and your personal goal worth 100 points when completed. After the list, you should (but are not required to) say a bit about your motivations for lucid dreaming and your dream desires; if you want Team Dreams to fit your desires and motivations, then you need to be clear about what those are!

Here is a sample sign-up:

Sign-up List [Name - LD Length - Team - Personal Goal]

1. Thorn - 5 minutes - Shapeshifter - Become my avatar
    I’m a big fan of exploring not just the dream itself, but also my image of myself. I try to be more than myself in dreams, so I’m a big fan of shapeshifting into things that are imposing, even if my demeanor doesn’t change. My avatar is a drawing made by Wyvern of how he saw me in a Sonic-themed dream, and since I administrate a Sonic the Hedgehog speedrunning site, it’s been my current shapeshifting priority.

Here are our current sign-ups:

Sign-up List [Name - LD Length - Team - Personal Goal]

1. ian1 - 4 minutes - Traveler - Fly
  2. Scipio Xaos - 2 minutes - Shapeshifter - Have another chat with Cardia.
  3. Yev - 1 minute - Traveler - Get some useful advice from a DC.
  4. Eterna - 2-3 minutes - Traveler - Fly competently without crashing!
  5. James_UK2008 - 3-4 minutes - Shapeshifter - Become a Werewolf
  6. Lucidis - 7 minutes - Traveler - Find and study a map of Ethos.
  7. mr_Block - 30 seconds - Traveler - use a functioning teleworker.
  8. Rhewin - 5 minutes - Action - regenerate
  9. demented - 2 minutes - Traveler - visit ancient Greece
  10. paual - 1 minute - Traveler - STILL find Davesprite in a dream
  11. HeadInTheClouds - 2-3 minutes - Shapeshifter - Find the answer to life, the universe, and everything.
  12. Letaali - 30 seconds - Action - fly with a new method
  13. Wyvern - 8 minutes - Action - Materialize a person in front of me
  14. Siiw - 3 minutes - Traveler - copy a work of art from a dream
  15. Loah - 10m - action - simply walk into mordor!
  16. drd - 2 min - action - have a real conversation with my sc
  17. Koharo - 5min - Action - *Pt1. Train Thorn in the art of fire Pt2. Successfully use the fire element
  18. Oleg - 1.5 minutes - Action - Drop myself from somewhere very very very high.
  19. Hodge_Podge - 2 minutes - Action - Summon a Ferrari LaFerrari!
    [/spoiler]
    Tasks

[spoiler]1. Brains

1. Brawn
  2. Obligatory LC Eating Task
  3. Spheres
  4. Kaiju
  5. Firin’ Mah Lazer
  6. Dragons! RAWR! and Obligatory Host Self-Insert Task
    [/spoiler]
    Scores can be viewed here.

May the best dreamer win!

Sign-up List [Name, medium length LD, personal task]

Since I have technically flown before, I will add additional constraints to my goal: My flight must either last more than 2 minutes, or I must land in a different dreamscape than the one I took-off from. If I don’t do either of those, I will not consider my goal complete.

Sign-up List [Name - LD Length - Team - Personal Task]

Ooooooh! Shapeshifting! :happy:

And if you don’t recall who Cardia is, read Task Worthy.

Okay, this time around I actually am going to try to keep up with challenge all the way through!!!

I always miss the signups for these so looking forward to the motivation and hopefully new experiences to come. I like seeing different landscapes in dreams, but am rubbish at flying around them and would love to just sprout wings and zip around the place at will. :smile:

^ Wings are basically my favorite thing ever (see the lucid part of this DJ entry), as willpower flight became so simple for me. I wish you the best of luck with that goal! :happy:

Also, consider me surprised at the sign-ups so far; I was not expecting so much interest in exploring and was expecting much more in just getting things done! :tongue:

ian1 - 4 minutes - Traveler - Fly
Scipio Xaos - 2 minutes - Shapeshifter - Have another chat with Cardia.
Yev - 1 minute - Traveler - Get some useful advice from a DC.
Eterna - 2-3 minutes - Traveler - Fly competently without crashing!
James_UK2008 - 3-4 minutes - Shapeshifter - Become a Werewolf
Lucidis - 7 minutes - Traveler - Find and study a map of Ethos.

As of now, my motivations for lucid dreaming are to learn my about my dream world. I like to learn about new creatures, places, cultures, and legends. So I want to find a map of Ethos (my dream world) and learn a good deal of geography from it. Maybe I could even draw a map if I remember it well enough.

I haven’t really had any LDs lately, hope I get some luck this time :smile:.

Welp, I thought that the Action team would have over half of the sign-ups, but I clearly had no idea what I was talking about. That’s fine, though; I like to be surprised!

We only need three more sign-ups to get started! :happy:

I put action because I have to. Is there an alternate scoring method for those who do not want to participate in a group incubation or team?

^ The actual way the group incubations work has not changed since LC 41 with the exception of a group reward system similar to (but admittedly not exactly) what you suggested in Skype. You are free to not do any group work, and I am open to the idea of some sort of substitute but would require some convincing as to what exactly is suitable.

What I can’t do is say you needn’t pick a team, as even without group work, it does determine what subtasks you’ll prioritize and earn the most points for; I can’t give exactly one person freedom from a stipulation. I would tell you to simply treat a team choice as customizing your LC subtasks and ignore the “team” part as far as that goes until we figure out if a potential replacement is possible. This is designed to make things more pleasant, not less, as you can now earn more points for the things you like most with full knowledge that all participants will have the same amount of task points available once all of the tasks are presented.

It’s been a while since I participated in one of these, but I truly miss investing time in lucid dreaming…

My main motivations to do it are seeing up close how amazing how mind is, coming up with all this, and how that can relate to our connection to other people. There’s also a heavy storytelling element in my motivation, where I see my and my DC’s adventures as inspiration for my writing.

^ You’re doing the NDC and the LC at the same time? Best of luck to you!

In any case, we have ten participants! In the interest of giving everybody one solid weekend to attack each task, I’ll put up Task 1 tomorrow afternoon (EDT) so that the participants east of the Atlantic see it before going to bed.

11. HeadInTheClouds - 2-3 minutes - Shapeshifter - Find the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

I wasn’t planning on signing up, as I was going to take a break from the LC, but this one looks too fun. I may not be as active as normal, so if this fills up, you can always remove me if there are too many people; otherwise, I look forward to these new groups. :smile:

Thorn said I should join. My real personal goal is to get lucid once during this challenge :happy: I like the changes though.

13. Wyvern - 8 minutes - Action - Materialize a person in front of me

Took me a while to decide what team I wanted to be on. I’ve spent a lot of time exploring my dreams as it is and I find shapeshifting very easy, actually! My summoning skills need a little bit of work, so Action it is.
Also, I get to be on Rhewin’s team… and dreaming of him is easy. :razz:

Only gonna count LD points for dreams in which I do tasks. Won’t post them otherwise.

Okay, let’s get started! My condolences to James_UK2008, who had a visceral shapeshifting LD the night before the LC started. :tongue:

Remember, you earn full credit for generic subtasks and tasks color-coded for your team—Action, Traveler, and Shapeshifter—but half credit for others. This is done to prevent people from doing things they don’t like just to get the highest-valued subtask done; your desired subtasks will award the most for you!

Task 1: Brains

Isn’t lucidity great? When we become lucid, it’s as if a dormant part of our brain suddenly turns on. That said, we don’t always become fully conscious and have access to all of our memories when we realize we are dreaming. This task will give a few points for getting your brain to do things that should be easy in waking life but are sometimes harder in dreams. It will also have points for using your brain in ways beyond what is actually possible and for exploring how those impossible activities get presented in fiction. As there’s no combo points available until a second task starts, this week will have plenty of task parts to keep the stronger lucid dreamers occupied.

• Correctly state what the date will be one week from the date on which you dream (I’ll accept the night of date x or the morning of date x+1 as a valid starting date): 10 points
  • Attempt a multiplication problem with at least two nonzero digits in each number (you needn’t be correct): 20 points
  • Hear a dream character’s thoughts telepathically: 30 points
  • Move an object smaller than a person with psychokinesis (without touching the object when it moves): 20 points
  • Move an object larger than a person with psychokinesis (without touching the object when it moves): 40 points
  • Get a dream character other than yourself to experience willpower-based flight… namely, your willpower, whether kind or cruel, via psychokinesis: 30 points
    (EDIT: To clarify, the DC must be in the air under nothing more than your willpower. I’m already getting somebody saying he’ll be a ghost with another DC for the last task and thus put the DC into willpower flight; it’s creative, but it actually lets the DC start flying of his/her own volition :tongue:)
  • Visit a fortune teller who predicts via more than just blind guessing (e.g., palm reading, tarot cards, etc.): 30 points
  • Visit the Astral Plane or what you perceive such a place would be: 40 points
  • Psychics and super-intelligent beings in fiction are often shown with large craniums. Enlarge your head (the one on your neck, mind you) in any way without changing the rest of your body: 30 points
  • Become something other than a human that is associated with mental/psychic/aura-based powers (a ghost, certain fictional characters, certain creatures of myth, etc.): 40 points
    For those not doing the math, the Action team has 220 points available this week while the other teams have 210. Don’t worry; everybody will have the same amount of task points available by the end of the LC, and the teams that fall behind on points will be paid back later with high-valued subtasks instead of many small subtasks.

Beyond that, remember that you have 48 hours to design a Team Dream as an additional 30 point subtask (or half of that if you meet somebody from another team and do his/her Team Dream). You need to decide on the following facts based on your team. You can discuss things however you like and get the information to me however you like before the 48 hours is up. Since one team is a bit large to coordinate, I’ve set up online workspaces for teams just as I did in LC 39 that you may use if desired; check your PMs for a link.

• Action: Collectively decide on something larger than a person to move psychokinetically. You must meet at least one teammate in the dream and move the object without touching it when it moves. While you cannot touch the object when it moves, hand gestures may help with dream control!
  • Traveler: Collectively decide which of the two subtasks to do. You must meet at least one teammate and head to the location together. Consider using your teammate(s) for dream control, e.g., have both you and your teammate(s) actively will a door to open into the astral plane as you enter to ensure that it does.
  • Shapeshifter: Collectively decide either to enlarge heads or on what creature to be. You must meet at least one teammate in the dream and transform into the thing alongside him/her/them or may all become one being. If you choose enlarged heads, you must also state a method of initiating the transformation (e.g., magic words, contact with your teammate, pure willpower, grasping a physical object, etc.). If you become a creature, note that you cannot use the same creature for points for any future task. Making contact with each other during the transformation may help with dream control if you believe your teammate is more capable than you!
    The team with the best rate of current subtasks per member, including Team Dreams as subtasks, at the start of Task 2 will get an additional 40-point subtask themed for that team added to next week’s task, while the other teams can only get the usual half-credit from it. Be sure to keep your teammates motivated and hyped to win!

Best of luck to everybody! Let the games begin!

I’m drawing a blank on this task:

Can anyone give me some examples or ideas?