Lucidity Challenge 42—Winner: Wyvern!

Welp, I thought that the Action team would have over half of the sign-ups, but I clearly had no idea what I was talking about. That’s fine, though; I like to be surprised!

We only need three more sign-ups to get started! :happy:

Sign-up List [Name - LD Length - Team - Personal Task]

1. ian1 - 4 minutes - Traveler - Fly
  2. Scipio Xaos - 2 minutes - Shapeshifter - Have another chat with Cardia.
  3. Yev - 1 minute - Traveler - Get some useful advice from a DC.
  4. Eterna - 2-3 minutes - Traveler - Fly competently without crashing!
  5. James_UK2008 - 3-4 minutes - Shapeshifter - Become a Werewolf
  6. Lucidis - 7 minutes - Traveler - Find and study a map of Ethos.
  7. mr_Block - 30 seconds - Traveler - use a functioning teleworker.
  8. Rhewin - 5 minutes - Action - regenerate

I put action because I have to. Is there an alternate scoring method for those who do not want to participate in a group incubation or team?

^ The actual way the group incubations work has not changed since LC 41 with the exception of a group reward system similar to (but admittedly not exactly) what you suggested in Skype. You are free to not do any group work, and I am open to the idea of some sort of substitute but would require some convincing as to what exactly is suitable.

What I can’t do is say you needn’t pick a team, as even without group work, it does determine what subtasks you’ll prioritize and earn the most points for; I can’t give exactly one person freedom from a stipulation. I would tell you to simply treat a team choice as customizing your LC subtasks and ignore the “team” part as far as that goes until we figure out if a potential replacement is possible. This is designed to make things more pleasant, not less, as you can now earn more points for the things you like most with full knowledge that all participants will have the same amount of task points available once all of the tasks are presented.

9. demented - 2 minutes - Traveler - visit ancient Greece

10. paual - 1 minute - Traveler - STILL find Davesprite in a dream

It’s been a while since I participated in one of these, but I truly miss investing time in lucid dreaming…

My main motivations to do it are seeing up close how amazing how mind is, coming up with all this, and how that can relate to our connection to other people. There’s also a heavy storytelling element in my motivation, where I see my and my DC’s adventures as inspiration for my writing.

^ You’re doing the NDC and the LC at the same time? Best of luck to you!

In any case, we have ten participants! In the interest of giving everybody one solid weekend to attack each task, I’ll put up Task 1 tomorrow afternoon (EDT) so that the participants east of the Atlantic see it before going to bed.

11. HeadInTheClouds - 2-3 minutes - Shapeshifter - Find the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

I wasn’t planning on signing up, as I was going to take a break from the LC, but this one looks too fun. I may not be as active as normal, so if this fills up, you can always remove me if there are too many people; otherwise, I look forward to these new groups. :smile:

11. HeadInTheClouds - 2-3 minutes - Shapeshifter - Find the answer to life, the universe, and everything.
  12. Letaali - 30 seconds - Action - fly with a new method

Thorn said I should join. My real personal goal is to get lucid once during this challenge :happy: I like the changes though.

12. Letaali - 30 seconds - Action - fly with a new method
  13. Wyvern - 8 minutes - Action - Materialize a person in front of me

Took me a while to decide what team I wanted to be on. I’ve spent a lot of time exploring my dreams as it is and I find shapeshifting very easy, actually! My summoning skills need a little bit of work, so Action it is.
Also, I get to be on Rhewin’s team… and dreaming of him is easy. :razz:

Only gonna count LD points for dreams in which I do tasks. Won’t post them otherwise.

Okay, let’s get started! My condolences to James_UK2008, who had a visceral shapeshifting LD the night before the LC started. :tongue:

Remember, you earn full credit for generic subtasks and tasks color-coded for your team—Action, Traveler, and Shapeshifter—but half credit for others. This is done to prevent people from doing things they don’t like just to get the highest-valued subtask done; your desired subtasks will award the most for you!

Task 1: Brains

Isn’t lucidity great? When we become lucid, it’s as if a dormant part of our brain suddenly turns on. That said, we don’t always become fully conscious and have access to all of our memories when we realize we are dreaming. This task will give a few points for getting your brain to do things that should be easy in waking life but are sometimes harder in dreams. It will also have points for using your brain in ways beyond what is actually possible and for exploring how those impossible activities get presented in fiction. As there’s no combo points available until a second task starts, this week will have plenty of task parts to keep the stronger lucid dreamers occupied.

• Correctly state what the date will be one week from the date on which you dream (I’ll accept the night of date x or the morning of date x+1 as a valid starting date): 10 points
  • Attempt a multiplication problem with at least two nonzero digits in each number (you needn’t be correct): 20 points
  • Hear a dream character’s thoughts telepathically: 30 points
  • Move an object smaller than a person with psychokinesis (without touching the object when it moves): 20 points
  • Move an object larger than a person with psychokinesis (without touching the object when it moves): 40 points
  • Get a dream character other than yourself to experience willpower-based flight… namely, your willpower, whether kind or cruel, via psychokinesis: 30 points
    (EDIT: To clarify, the DC must be in the air under nothing more than your willpower. I’m already getting somebody saying he’ll be a ghost with another DC for the last task and thus put the DC into willpower flight; it’s creative, but it actually lets the DC start flying of his/her own volition :tongue:)
  • Visit a fortune teller who predicts via more than just blind guessing (e.g., palm reading, tarot cards, etc.): 30 points
  • Visit the Astral Plane or what you perceive such a place would be: 40 points
  • Psychics and super-intelligent beings in fiction are often shown with large craniums. Enlarge your head (the one on your neck, mind you) in any way without changing the rest of your body: 30 points
  • Become something other than a human that is associated with mental/psychic/aura-based powers (a ghost, certain fictional characters, certain creatures of myth, etc.): 40 points
    For those not doing the math, the Action team has 220 points available this week while the other teams have 210. Don’t worry; everybody will have the same amount of task points available by the end of the LC, and the teams that fall behind on points will be paid back later with high-valued subtasks instead of many small subtasks.

Beyond that, remember that you have 48 hours to design a Team Dream as an additional 30 point subtask (or half of that if you meet somebody from another team and do his/her Team Dream). You need to decide on the following facts based on your team. You can discuss things however you like and get the information to me however you like before the 48 hours is up. Since one team is a bit large to coordinate, I’ve set up online workspaces for teams just as I did in LC 39 that you may use if desired; check your PMs for a link.

• Action: Collectively decide on something larger than a person to move psychokinetically. You must meet at least one teammate in the dream and move the object without touching it when it moves. While you cannot touch the object when it moves, hand gestures may help with dream control!
  • Traveler: Collectively decide which of the two subtasks to do. You must meet at least one teammate and head to the location together. Consider using your teammate(s) for dream control, e.g., have both you and your teammate(s) actively will a door to open into the astral plane as you enter to ensure that it does.
  • Shapeshifter: Collectively decide either to enlarge heads or on what creature to be. You must meet at least one teammate in the dream and transform into the thing alongside him/her/them or may all become one being. If you choose enlarged heads, you must also state a method of initiating the transformation (e.g., magic words, contact with your teammate, pure willpower, grasping a physical object, etc.). If you become a creature, note that you cannot use the same creature for points for any future task. Making contact with each other during the transformation may help with dream control if you believe your teammate is more capable than you!
    The team with the best rate of current subtasks per member, including Team Dreams as subtasks, at the start of Task 2 will get an additional 40-point subtask themed for that team added to next week’s task, while the other teams can only get the usual half-credit from it. Be sure to keep your teammates motivated and hyped to win!

Best of luck to everybody! Let the games begin!

I’m drawing a blank on this task:

Can anyone give me some examples or ideas?

King Worm from Adventure Time! He uses a mental power to trap people in lucid dreams so he can suck their life force! :happy:

Here’s a picture:

HeadInTheClouds: You were in the last LC, right? Do you remember the Pokémon task? :tongue: Continuing with games, I can think of a psychic character in Sonic games as well. There’s plenty of examples, but these two come to mind for me quickly.

Lucid in the first 2h 29 minutes of sleep. No tasks yet. I had focused on my intention to become lucid for 15 mins before falling asleep. To the point that I was angry if I didn’t. This transferred to a dream nicely, but I guess I started waking up, it didn’t last long :sad:

SPOILER - Click to view

A dream started with me in a small bedroom. I recalled wanting badly to become lucid. I couldn’t move out of the bed, I probably felt my WL body. I REFUSED that and forced my limp body out of the bed. I saw faint light in the room. The light was coming from behind me where there was a window. For a second I collect my thoughts and I’m just amazed how easy it was to suddenly be in a lucid dream. I try to memorize the moment. Desk on the right, bookshelves on the left and stuff on the floor. I yell “lucidity times 1000” and nothing happens, it scares me. I look down and see my legs. Good, now I can run. Without thinking I run forward through the door into the next room. A dark hall where I see the rest of the rooms in the house. I now know the whole layout of the building but it’s not familiar. I wake up.

Congrats to Letaali for getting the first points of the LC!

The scores will be hosted here, and I’ll keep the link for scores in this topic’s first post. I’ll update the scores in text at the start of each task for the people that can’t see the linked spreadsheet.

Had a minor LD here that was probably no more than one minute long. I was able to remember the LC as well as the form I had set myself the night before but it didn’t really get very far due to lack of focus.

Sneakily swaps fridays LD with this one :stuck_out_tongue:

The Action team has decided to move a car. :cool:

james_uk2008: I’ve updated the scores. Good attempt, and enjoy your tie for first place for the time being. :smile:

The Action team has locked in its Team Dream as moving a car with psychokinesis and can earn 30 points for doing it with a teammate. Other teams can also meet an Action team member and perform this for half credit (15 points). Get your teams’ ideas sorted quickly to set up your own 30-point subtask!

Had a short LD this morning where I stated next Saturdays date. I’m so relived, I was worried that my LDs would suddenly stop! :content:

Team Shapeshifter has decided to take on the form of Mewtwo for the LC.