Sixth sense in dreams

In a lot of (non-lucid) dreams I have I somehow already know information about it, like a sixth sense. For example, I would be in a random alleyway that I’d never visited while awake or in any other dream and, despite not being lucid, I would only have to think for a second and I would know exactly where in the world I am, even if it’s a fictional place or a foreign country I’ve never visited before. Another (common for me) example if that I will automatically known any kind of magic or powers I have within the dream.

I thought this was just normal but when I talked to someone who remembers a lot of their own dreams about it they said that they would never know information like that in any dream. Does anybody else get this (what I’ve now dubbed) ‘sixth sense’ in their NDs?

I get the same thing sometimes. It feels like I have already read the “book” or “script”. Sometimes it feels like I make up the story while it plays out. I get this a lot more in non lucid dreams, in the lucid dreams I usually need to consciously decide.

I get this a lot too. I often have a sense of the larger context, or “plot” of the dream, even without any sort of prior exposition. Even if the dream events themselves began right in the middle of things, for example, my mind will be preloaded with what happened at the beginning. Another thing that happens a lot is that I know exactly where to find an object, even if I’ve never seen where it’s usually kept. For instance, if I’m looking for one, I’d instinctively know that there’s a handgun on the nightstand of the second house on the left side of a street I’ve never been on.

I think it happens because dreams can insert notions into our minds just as easily as they can insert images - that is, just as we can be made to see or hear our dream environments, we can also be made to know about them. In a way, it is very much like a sixth sense, only instead of perceiving, we are simply told (subconsciously, of course) about the world around us.

This happens to me frequently. I don’t always have a very solid sense of “self” in my NDs so in many dreams I am spread out. The omniscient observer part of me will know the script and what happened before, what will happen and what is happening in another part of the dream but there will be a part of me, the “acting participant” (sometimes in a different body, sometimes in the same one) who follows the script without really knowing the outcome. It’s hard to explain since most times I’m not sure how I’m really divided.