altering one's perception of time

hello I have returned after 2 years of being gone. I am glad to be back and to start getting back into lucid dreaming! So to start off I wanted to ask you about the concept of altering one’s perception of time within the lucid dream. Now I know that many of you were going to going to tell me that good old Steve wrote in his book that when it seems like time is under sped up slow down it is just an illusion that the mind puts on the dreamer or something of the sort. but I’m not sure if I actually believe that I have talked to someone who naturally dreams in periods of weeks or so. She didn’t even know that this wasn’t how it was for other people. Now I am Not sure to what links the human brain can go to in when considering this but if the brain can actually do this the possibilities are endless as with many topics in lucid dreaming. Now I want to ask if any of you have had experience in this topic whether you have spent a week in a dream two weeks a month however long or whether this is even possible. Thank you for your answers! :smile:

While I have not persionally experienced this, I would direct you to WritersCube’s DJ; he has an exceptionally long history with this, and does this all the time.

Welcome back…
:welcome:

I do not know how to incubate these. I used to be really skeptical of time dilation until I had my first experience. I only had 2 dreams in which seemed to last for days and they seem to be completely random. I had a few more which seemed to last for hours but they actually were only a few minutes long.

I am still not sure if you can reach these “100 years” of your goal, even if it seems to have past a lot of time, you wouldn’t be sure if you really perceived the flow of 100 years…

The problem is in perception itself. We do not perceive things the same.

I’ve experienced long dreams and sure they are mind blowing but if you analyze them they you can see that you get the feeling of being long time in a dream but do you have the memory of 2 weeks or just bits and pieces which made you think that you dreamt for 2 weeks.

It’s a tricky question and situation. I even believe that with more practice this memory gaps could be actually become memories from the dream, so I’m saying that with practice we could maybe start to perceive time as we do in a waking life because at the end we are comparing it with waking life perception of time, right?! :content:

thats amazing. thanks for sharing. and welcome back, even though i am new and dont remember you, all the same, hello!

I really haven’t had the kind of LD you are talking about, but i love to learn about other peoples experiences :wiske:

Hey! Thank you for the replies. Sorry about the, typos by the way. I thought that I would try some voice to text. Haha! Probably not again! Anyway, my wonder is if this is indeed possible, to what extent can our brains go? As you mentioned, would 100 years be possible? Then it begs the question, who here would actually want to be in a dream for 100 years? The concept has always seemed quite attractive to me for some reason. I figure that in a world where everything is possible, you would have plenty to do. Any thoughts?

Well you really ask hard questions! :happy:

I think it’s hard to say generally. Even if one can answer those questions they would be more on the believe system or expectation then hard evidence. That’s just how it is with dreams.

I don’t know if you are familiar with the teachings of man we know as Alan Watts but here’s his narration in a great video from youtuber where he talks just about the idea that we are talking, listen and listen carefully. What he says is really something to think about!