First experience of WILD...

So I tried WILD last night, I’ve had a few LD’s, but never really had a technique, so after looking up some videos and posts, and Jakobism’s (I think!) well timed post on here, I said I’d give it a go. I’m not sure what happened, but something did happen. Maybe some of the more experienced LDers on here can make sense of it for me.

Here’s my account of it.

"I was trying WILD, lying on my back for ages, but it wasn’t happening, I felt my wife bump into my hand a couple of times, so I moved onto my side and tried it in that position.

I tried focusing on my head and body to make them heavy. After a short time I kept on feeling like I was “dipping” into myself, kind of like my head would nod off “into” my body. But then it would jump back.

Then I remember getting what I think was angry, possibly with my Mom for some reason, and felt like a pressure or a force within me was giving out or pi**ed off, but then I felt that feeling of falling into myself again and I kind of went with it, full on this time.

I felt massive vibration and noise around myself, but I knew I was still on my side in bed. It kind of felt like I was on a plane going through turbulence, but the sensation was concentrated in my head and body. I think it was SP, but it was nothing like SP I’ve had before, but in saying that, when I got SP before, i didn’t know about Lucid Dreams, and I used to freak out and try wake myself.

This kept going for what felt like about 5 minutes, and I remember thinking this is awesome and strange, but when am I going to start dreaming. I tried to focus on imagining my room through my eyelids, but I didn’t get a clear picture.

The sensation then stopped and I thought I woke up, as I was still on my side in bed, and I was like “Ah sh*t, I’m awake now after all that”, when I noticed a friend from college beside me saying, “Ok, so what game do you wanna play now?”

Then I was really was awake as I felt my wife move beside me and I did a RC."

So that’s my first experience with WILD, does this sound like I was on the right track? Where did I go wrong or right?

Thanks.

yaaah, you got there, strangegravy from Ireland.
but i don’t know what happened :confused: maybe you were expecting a dream to form when you could have just as easily had your natural surroundings to work for you.

maybe next time imagine a rope hanging from the ceiling and climb it with your mind body, thats what i do, you end up flying or floating. :wiske:
or you could mentally roll over and fall out of bed(i have done that too)it works!
and then you get to see yourself asleep :wiske:

Thanks for the reply Soupfruit! :smile:

Yeah, I kinda think now after reading up on it a bit more, that I had prepared to get there but not really on what to expect when I was there. I had no real plan of action for that part to be honest, so my brain went with whatever it could grasp together.

Ah I know now I need to work on a few things, but I’m very happy I even got that far, especially first time trying it!

Sounds great Strangegravy!

I tried WILD for the first time last night after doing WBTB and experienced the exact same thing as above. I couldn’t shake the “jumping back” I kept doing and I eventually dosed off.

I think you did nothing wrong, you were prolly super sensitive when you first went in the LD and your awareness was still sorta in the room maybe :confused:

Im still confused about WILD. It seems so close to astral projection.

@Soupfruit,
I did the rope pulling you mentioned but it felt like I was about to have a OOB experience instead of a LD. How do you distinguish which one to aim for? either one is great for me but I want another LD experience.
Any tips//suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Good Luck Strangegravy and Sweet dreams :wiske:

Yeah, the jumping back was a very strange sensation, but something weird happened before the final one, like an intense pressure and then maybe a dreamlet type thing happened, and finally then I just didn’t jump back, if you know what I mean, I just kind of sank into myself, and that’s when I think I got the vibrations.

It’s only happened once so far though, and I haven’t got that far since, but I’ve only tried a couple times during the day, and I’m not sure if this technique is best doing it during the day. Maybe someone could let me know the best technique for say, an hour nap during the day?

But it definitely looks like it’s doing something for us, @Odd.

Strangegravy, from my opinion you did awesome, specially if this was your firs try.

Imagine WILD process to be shaken down to 3 parts. That exactly happened to you.

1. you were in bed with your thoughts on your mind and trying to do WILD on your back, this didn’t work and then you switch your body position.
  • now what happened here is the first problem you stumble upon because of WILD tutorials which say that you should lay still on your back while doing WILD which is wrong. You should lay in any body position which will help you with second part and that is:
  1. you started “dipping” into yourself.
  • this part became possible because you finally moved into position which was comfortable and in which is possible for you to fall asleep. (keep in mind that falling asleep is not something you avoid but something you need if you want to dream and the key is to fall asleep but properly) But as you were determined that you will try WILD you kept yourself awake and aware of your body and head which kept just the perfect amount of consciousness that was required for you to fall asleep properly which means not falling asleep immediately as you lay in bed but gradually as you approaching REM sleep. (that’s why WILD works the best with WBTB - you are cutting down the time from laying down to bed to entering the REM sleep)

Vibrations and noise that you felt and heard are common transitioning “symptoms”. They just indicate that if you let go that you are about to fall asleep and next second dream. When everything stopped and when you found yourself in bed you were in the dream and that time between stopping sensations and finding yourself in a bed is time when you actually lost consciousness and actually fall asleep and made a transition from waking state into dream. Very quick and short period of time, isn’t it?! :grin: :grin:

With time you can practice to shorten this vibrations and noise sensations, once you get to know them you can focus yourself away from them and focus on the act of transitioning into dream. At the end the dream is the goal but I too find myself sometimes “playing” with those sensations…

1. you were in a dream.

Now I will try to illustrate those 3 steps so you can get the better picture although I’m confident you understand me perfectly.

So first dot is you in WL and second dot is you in a dream. The line between those two dots are sensations and transitioning state which you need to get passed and I imagine this line to be like a stream of shooting water which you as a dreamer need to pass which isn’t always the easiest thing to do as it wouldn’t be easy to do it if this would actually happening in waking life… :content:

So the illustration:
.I. (it might look as something else but it wasn’t my intention :content: )

…quote shypretty odd>>@Soupfruit,
I did the rope pulling you mentioned but it felt like I was about to have a OOB experience instead of a LD. How do you distinguish which one to aim for? either one is great for me but I want another LD experience.
Any tips//suggestions is greatly appreciated

well for OOB just dont visualize/desire or fear anything.
your mind tends to already have a blueprint for its natural surroundings. at least thats my experience. OOB seems to be easier for me because i am so disorganized, my minds is like a chinese firework, drifting in and out of what i want.
i haven’t been able to manifest a LD from the WILD technique, unless i accidently forgot that i did>??? so i cannot help you there, sorry. but i think DB_FTS mentioned in a thread to have something up your sleeve as to what you want to achieve, aim for a scene, visualize a setting maybe?? i dunno, i think dreams scenes play out of their own accord at the beggining of HI so i have read

Thanks @dB_FTS for the very detailed reply, that will help a lot with future attempts. :smile:

I definitely think you can learn a lot from each attempt, and I’m definitely motivated to keep trying!

@soupfruit and @shyprettyodd, either a LD or OOB would do me, it’s all good! :wink:

@dB_FTS you seem very experienced with this. How do you know whether your going to WILD or Astral? I haven’t achieved WILD as of yet ((I sorta did the same thing Strangegravy did the other night)) but I have had a OOB experience and it seems very similar to the WILD in the beginning.
Im wondering if what Soupfruit said is true…The difference is the visualization :confused:
The SP/vibrations/and noises are the things I experienced when I had my OOB.
I would love some insight on how to distinguish the 2 ((If there is any))

Thank you :wiske:

HaHa I Agree Strangegravy. Im fine with either but I love the thought of starting lucid at the beginning of the dream.

i did a visualization excersice when i was relaxing a few years ago. i was vividly visualizing a setting, and then i met some beautiful beings…
i thought i was awake, visualizing this, because i was in control of the scene, yet out of the blue one of those beings scared the living daylights out of me by turning into a witch with her hair on end…
ok so i didn’t want that to happen, yet apparently according to someone (LD expert)who knew what they were on about had told me i was asleep, so, visualization excersises could well work for you too shyprettyodd, as it did for me.
good luck.

I can only talk about WILD and dreams. When it comes to AP or OBE I believe that the line becomes even thinner. I can’t say that I believe in AP/OBE or don’t believe because I’ve never experienced one. Although I had something that could be seen as OBE and it happened when I was doing WILD at the time of transition from waking state to dream state. I was imagine that I’m levitating toward the ceiling and next thing I know I’m floating toward ceiling but my right arm gets stuck on the ceiling like I wasn’t able to pass through.

Why I think that it was a OBE is because the feel of this state was much different from the regular dream/lucid dream. Also few days before this I heavily researching about AP/OBE and watching videos and so on and on…

Like I said I can’t really help you with this one, I believe there are dreamers much more experienced on this topic then me but non the less I like to talk about it! :content:

Hi all,

This thread is really interesting, I just wanted to chime in with my experiences trying WILD.

I get to the point where Strangegravy said he/she (unsure of your gender :razz:) felt really frustrated/angry for some reason. At this point I was on my back and all my arms legs and body are tingling. I never see any HI at all, so i’m not sure if that is the source of my frustration? I do see kinds of flashing lights but I wouldn’t call them HI? What do you think? Just areas where the blackness behind my eyelids seems, well, not so black, and moving.

When I got really frustrated / angry, I didn’t go with it like Strangegravy did, I succumbed to the anger and opened my eyes, then I lay on my side and did SSILD, which didn’t work at all.

Maybe next time i feel that sensation, i should just ride it out. It seems every time I do a wild, I just end up getting to the tingling feeling, not knowing what to do next?

Hey DreamerDad.

I’m a guy btw. :smile: when I get to that point different things happen each time, kinda crazy, but I’m chilled about it, Rome wasn’t built in a day and all that.

I’m working on a proper plan, trying different things that work and don’t work, to find the best formula for me. I don’t see it as wasted opportunities, just a few steps closer to my goal. I think a plan is what you need, maybe try one, if it doesn’t work, refine it, until suddenly BAAAM, you’re there buddy! :smile:

Thanks SG. I do have a plan of sorts. I practice my meditation when I first go to bed. Trying to get to them point where I can play around with the HH. I know I wont have a LD at this stage, but at least if I can get practice at entering this trance state, I know I can do it when I WBTB.

If I can’t get into the trance, and I WBTB (which is every night about 3am thanks to baba), I then try to WILD again. If unsuccessful, I revert to DILD.

My dream recall was 1 dream a night but lately its disappeared which is frustrating.

Just thought Id update you guys on my progress. I’ve had 3 LD in the past 3 nights :grin: . My method has been WBTB, listening to binaural beats for about 20 minutes, then WILD. I’m only having problems now with false awakenings. I’m not on any sleep schedule nor am I DJing ((I do it sometimes but not often)).

@dB_FTS I do agree, it is a split second that goes by between HH and LD. I actually enjoy the HH :content: . Either way I know I’m doing something out of this world.

That’s great ShyPrettyOdd. I guess you found your way :content:
But I would advice to keep DJ no matter what. It will help you specially with such tricky things as FA…

Oh well done ShyPrettyOdd!

Delighted for you, sounds like you’ve found a method that’s really working. Mine seem sporadic, days without them and then maybe a couple a night. I’m reading a Dream Yoga book at the moment that is really opening my mind to a lot of new ideas, so hopefully they will trickle into my dreams soon…

Well done again. :smile:

Which dream yoga book are you reading if you don’t mind me asking?

Sorry didn’t see this until now. Its “The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep” by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche. I’d never read anything like it before, find it fascinating.

I thought that was probably it, just wanted to make sure :wiske: . Robert Waggoner talked about it a lot. That’s my next for sure. Thanks!