hypnagogic sounds/images

I find it impossible to tell, unless we can jump into someone elses mind / body and see what they’re seeing, because when I close my eyes, it’s not pitch black, ever. There’s always some faint patter visible, but unless I experience HI it’s impossible to tell if this is the same thing.

It’s all pretty weird. My dad tells me that he thinks in words. Obviously, I can hear “my voice” when I think, but I can think in images too, and I can hear / taste / feel something without actually hearing / tasting / feeling it… just in an… imaginary way… But the way he describes it, if someone said “think of a tree”, he wouldn’t be able to see it. Maybe I misunderstood, but to me it sounds… odd…

I was on a coach for a long time yesturday as i was going to watch a Rugby game in Cardiff. And i was listening to some music and i had it again started to have images which where vivid and sounds, i cant remember what they where because i was soon brought out of this by my m8 throwing water on me. But what is weird was that it happend so easily i seemed to slip into it and i felt like i didn’t have control.

people that can actualy see things in their head are a minority, or so I feel.

you’re right, if you told me to think of a tree, i’d probably think “tree” in my head, and just think “about” trees, but I wouldn’t see them…

but this is where I get puzzled, I can both see and NOT SEE a tree, right now, in my mind, but … there is no way on earth to describe this, it is like it is there, but it is in another dimension, and I see it, yet I do not see it… it is directly related to imagination… and well… I cannot hold it.

If I hold it, it mutates, my mind warps it into other things, and, evetually, if I really have patience, I start losing consciousness, falling asleep, and sometimes I then will be able to SEE it burned into my eyelids like it was REAL… but this I cannot control.

When someone people talk about hwo they think and visualize it makes it sound like what they see in their heads, it is a clear as day and they are immensed into it, like they are dreaming awake, like they are tripipng, like the images are RIGHT INSIDE BURNED INTO THEIR EYEBALLS AND TRANSPOSED ONTOP OF THE BLACKNESS LIKE A MOVIE

like remote viewing, like voluntary HI.

But I don’t know, can people REALLY do that? Or is my lackluster visualizatin skill responsible for me just thinking that people are so much better me, when unless t hey are some outlying mystic, they are not?

For me, intense HI is akin to remote viewing, is akin to dreaming while still being in your body, meaning you REALLY see what you are seeing, you don’t just “half see” it, or perceive it.

and for me, it sounds like a lot of people can really see whatever the hell they want, inside their heads, as if it were right in front of them, as if they were dreaming.

It really upsets me, I’ve wanted to do this forever, and I can’t.

I’ve only been practicing half a year but that should be long enough.

I have the exact same problems as Eclipse_Fire.

What is meant by focusing on one thing? Say, you see a spot, you pay attention to the spot, and that spot only? Then what do you do when it disappears? What do you do when you are ASLEEP yet somehow seeing things?

I am not conscious during HI, it is a mind split, my conscious mind is off, and I am in a dream mind, which is largely dead, but then the conscious suddenly chimes back in with a mantra or something… who knows… I can’t describe it, all I can say is it’s like being possessed.

I’m not in control until it’s over. So by this logic I should be able to easily slip in, but I don’t, my dissociated conscious mind (providing it still exists?) wants to take back control, or something… even when I just want to go to sleep I have this problem.

I cannot hold on to the nothingness either, it makes me tired and dizzy and makes me drift in/out of HH and consciousness/sleep.

yeh, that’s what I’m talking about, really. It’s there, but it’s not there in place of vision. It’s the way I’d assume that everyone thinks… Again, you’d have to be somebody else to find out how they think. It’s like - for all we know, colours could look completely different to different people, we would never know this because we’ve never seen what it looks like to them.
Anyway, when people say visualise, it must be for a reason, I guess.
It’s also a bit like when you get music stuck in your head, you can hear it even though it’s not there.

yes music stuck in your head thats true, also when people say somthing funny or say somthing weird you can like replay it in your mind over and over again.

Back to the HI is this HI or not? :bored:

[color=indigo]I remember when I was little and I had earache or a headache, I used to get really caught up in these ‘dream scenes’ like I remember one time, I was layed in bed and I realised I had the duvet in mymouth cos in one of these dream scenes I was eating a sandwhich. I used to do stuff like this all the time, I never understood why I only did it when I was ill. Now I do it when I’m drunk. Also, does anyone else wake themselves up by making a random noise? I do and my mum does…I’m just layed there and all of a sudden “mweh” wtf…ookay then I turn over and half an hour later “mmm” and it’s freaky! I seriously warn people when they stay at my house. And in the morning I get stories of “mmmmmmmweh…stupid noises…” hehe it’s really wierd.

Anywayz, yeah does anyone else do this?[/color]

if someone tells me to think of a tree i see a tree i dont see the word.
BTW how long dos it take every1 to reach HI/SP stage?

sometimes i wake myself up by laughing… often times becuase my HH are cartoon related,and when you are almost asleep things don’t have to be funny to make you laugh, it’s just a reflex…

sometiems i’ll go into SP or have an insane OBE where I’m LAUGHING like freaking crazy and I can’t stop and I’m falling to the floor and losing control of myself.

When I had surgery on a broken arm the nurses told me I liked the anesthesia and was laughing like crazy, but all I remember is what I’d equate to being hit in the face with an HI hammer and rapidly entering SP, then losing consciousness.

Im not sure if these are HIs…but If I ever in the dark press my fingers against my eyelids I dont only see colours but I can actually see the outlines of my fingers that are all black expect the outline is multicoloured… and also if i switch fingers and stuff or move them around I can clearly see my fingers switching from under my eyelids…its really weird…and if I ever wake up IN THE DARK…usually after an LD I see all these purple and blue colours all over my room…also ive had many times whered Id be like half asleep an hear a crazyy ass noise thatll just scare me an wake me up…I dunno are these HIs? or no…

HarlemWorld:

I dont think that what you see by pushing your fingers against your eyelids is hypnogogic imagery, but rather your eyes reaction to the unnatural pressure.

The purple and blue colors, i get that all the time, pretty much every night if i notice it in the dark. I dont have a clue as to whether or not it is hypnogogic imagery. Something tells me its like my energy or something, or maybe my brainwaves. Im pretty sure its not sensory input from the outside, because i can see it w/ eyes closed, and its easier to see in the dark, and when my eyes are open, its more like a filmy ocean superimposed upon all i see. Its pretty damn cool looking!

The sound that wakes you up, i am fairly sure is hypnogogic hallucination. I get this all the time and its annoying, but also cool in that it saves me from wasting the night, having fallen asleep. For me, it is usually accompanied by very hard to remember glimpses of imagery as well.

I get more HI when I try to sleep during the day. For example I was at my GFs house yesterday sitting on the floor while we where watching a movie and I was dosing off. Slowly I could see through my eyelids. I mean the HI turned into me sitting in the room. I wasn’t sleeping yet, but the HI was very stable.

I wonder why this doesn’t happen so easily when i goto bed at night?

Sentient: Once I had DC that told em the difference between waking and dream is the color beneath your eye lids. Once the black turns to a purple you are sleeping. I’m not 100% sure if this is true, but it was cool that a DC told me this (to help me with my WILD/FA).

Those colors you see when you press on your eyelids are not hypnagogic imagery. You’re actually seeing the pressuring you’re applying - it’s a sensory crossover, of sorts.

Yep, this isn’t HI, it’s just what ppl use to describe what HI is like, it looks exactly the same. So no pressing your eyelids as you’re trying to sleep! lol. I did this when I couldn’t be bothered to read up on WILD lol

that’s weird, i’d be so angry yet happy if i have been dreaming of trying to WILD the whole time… but RCs tend to fail if I decide to do them “knowing” i’m not dreaming… and I can see purple pretty easily within 5-10 minutes of lying down.

Those crazy DCs.

i can be walikng outside or doing just normal stuf, and i hear hypna sounds :smile: like high pitched sounds and stuff…kinda wierd…parhapps im living between reality and dreaming? :smile: haha

Of course, the whole thing’s just about concepts, but I also understand that hypnagogic images are not the flashy colours you see after you close your eyes or push your eyelids with your fingers. I understand those are some kind of residual images on your retinas, but I’m not entirely sure.

I always understood hypnagogic images as the thoughts that seem to get carried away by themselves when you’re just about to fall asleep. I developed an awareness for these during the last few years. It actually feels like a thought taking off by itself, living its own life. Then the realization of what’s happening wakes me up, otherwise I would fall asleep I guess.

Since I have yet to achieve lucidity, my greatest dream-related experience happened during the hypnagogic state. Otherwise my consciousness was “black” but I started to hear music. I had never heard that piece before, but it was very vivid. It had its own life, changed to another part, had soft drums, some nice guitar melodies and a warm hammond-sound. I could actually spot chords it terms of major and minor. I was very excited especially when the song kept on going even when I had awareness of it. I promised myself to remember all that and make a song out of it. Of course, it was all gone by tomorrow.

That’s how composing music got to my “must do when lucid”-list.

Sometimes, when I just lay still in my bed, thinking, I hear a strange sound (man talking, people shouting, beeps and stuff like that) that makes me forget about what I thought about in the last 5-10 minutes, even though I can recall everything I did during the same period.

Very frustrating…can anyone tell me what this is? I think it may sound like HS, but I am not sure.

The sounds only lasts for less than a second. It never happens in day-time. So I just thought that it might be a good idea to ask in this thred, since it’s about HI/HS.

Hearing sounds such as people talking or shouting is considered HI, if I am correct. That happens to me as well when I am about to fall asleep. The more tired I am, the quicker they begin and the more vivid they are.

Yeah…but what when they partly erase your memory? :confused:

Haven’t heard anything about that mentioned anywhere…
So…has it happened to anyone else? Or am I the only one?

I don’t believe I’ve ever experienced that. The only way I can relate is that I often forget what people say and other details very quickly, which is why I never choose to post any Hypnagogic Imagery in my dream diary. :uh: