Lucidity Challenge 52 winner Obfusc8!

Introduction

Hi! I’m your host for Lucidity Challenge 52.

The Lucidity Challenge (LC for short) is a game that is intended to provide some additional motivation for people who are trying to have lucid dreams. Each week there will be new challenge tasks posted in this forum thread, and you score points for having a dream (lucid or non-lucid) in which you do one or more challenge tasks. Lucid dreams score more points: the details of the scoring system are described later in this post.

At the end, the person with the highest score is given the option of hosting the next challenge; if they don’t want to do it, the option to host passes on the second place scorer, and so on. Apart from that, there are no prizes; the goal is to have fun, both doing the challenge tasks and by having other lucid dreams using the skills you’ve learned from attempting the challenges.

This is not a scientific experiment. If it was, there would probably be some kind of hypothesis being tested, and Institutional Review Board approval for the experiment, and consent forms for participants, etc. This is just a game.

If you feel uncomfortable about any of the tasks (e.g. you find it frightening, or embarrassing), feel free to skip it. There’s no pressure to do all the tasks, and no prizes apart from the getting the write the next one.

Participants in the LC usually post a description of their dreams in the Dream Journal forum, and post in this thread a short post describing which task they think they’ve completed, hyperlinking to the full description of the dream in their dream journal. If you don’t want to post all your dreams, feel free to leave some of them out. It’s also OK to leave out parts of dreams, and just post the bit where you did the task, leaving out the more embarrassing elements. For example, it would appear that many participants, both male and female, are having a lot of sex with dream characters. It is totally OK to skip that bit if you feel embarassed to admit it. (But you needn’t be embarrassed: nearly everyone’s doing it too…)

A word of caution: excessive sleep deprivation can be dangerous. Please don’t deprive yourself of sleep in an attempt to become lucid more often; it shouldn’t be necessary.

Previous Challenges

SPOILER - Click to view

LC 1 — TM and initiator: eMander (formerly ian1) — winner: -=JaSoN=-
LC 2 — TM: Magnus — winner: Q
LC 3 — TM: Q — winner: Bravsein
LC 4 — TM: Bravsein — winner: WritersCube
LC 5 — TM: WritersCube — winner: dimsya
LC 6 — TM: dimsya — winner: Queen SD
LC 7 — TM: Ysim — winner: Mugiwara
LC 8 — TM: Mugiwara — winner: Ysim
LC 9 — TM: Ysim — winner: Tundra
LC 10 — TM: Tundra — winner: ebilshrimp
LC 11 — TM: ebilshrimp — winner: Tundra
LC 12 — TM: HebrewB — winner: mattiasdavis
LC 13 — TM: Blue&White — winner: relV
LC 14 — TM: relV — winner: GHOSTIE11
LC 15 — TM: GHOSTIE11 — winner: unknownuser33
LC 16 — TM: Danielns13 — winner: rkr7
LC 17 — TM: Angelmouse — winner: pasQuale
LC 18 — TM: Magnus — winner: Amaryllis
LC 19 — TM: Amaryllis — winner: Dryalantha
LC 20 — TM: Dryalantha — winners: Shadow Dreamer and Amaryllis
LC 21 — TM: Shadow Dreamer — winner: probably Wyvern
LC 22 — TM: Danilens13 — winner: tosxyChor
LC 23 — TM: tosxyChor — winner: Wyvern
LC 24 — TM: Wyvern — winner: tosxyChor
LC 25 — TM: Rhewin — winner: Solaris
LC 26 — TM: Solaris — winner: Rhewin
LC 27 — TM: tosxyChor — winner: Rhewin
LC 28 — TM: Rhewin — winner: Siiw
LC 29 — TM: Siiw — winner: Rhewin
LC 30 — TM: Puce — winner: Wega
LC 31 — TM: Mimmo0 — winner: Limitles
LC 32 — TM: Limitles — winner: Nicklebrick
LC 33 — TM: Nicklebrick — winner: elnaureth
LC 34 — TM: elnaureth — winner: DreamSailor
LC 35 — TM: Ysim — winner: Koharo
LC 36 — TM: Rhewin — winner: HeadInTheClouds
LC 37 — TM: HeadInTheClouds — winner: Scipio Xaos
LC 38 — TM: Scipio Xaos — winner: Thorn
LC 39 — TM: Thorn — winner: Koharo
LC 40 — TM: HeadInTheClouds — winner: Wyvern
LC 41 — TM: Wyvern — winner: Thorn
LC 42 — TM: Thorn — winner: Wyvern
LC 43 — TM: Rhewin — winner: drd
LC 44 — TM: Thorn — winner: drd
LC 45 — TM: obfusc8 — winner: Thorn
LC 46 — TM: Thorn — winner: obfusc8
LC 47 — TM: Mew151 — winner: Rhewin
LC 48 — TM: Rhewin — winner: probably obfusc8
LC 49 — TM: obfusc8 — winner: drd
LC 50 — TM: Thorn — winner: obfusc8
LC 51 — TM: Jer — winner: Thorn

Scoring

SPOILER - Click to view
  • Lucid Dreams and Induction Methods

[list][*]You wonder if you are dreaming but do not become lucid - 5 points

• A “short” lucid dream - 20 points
  • A “medium” length lucid dream - 30 points
  • A “long” lucid dream - 40 points
  • Your longest ever lucid dream - 50 points
  • Your first ever lucid dream - 75 points
  • Completing one or more of a week’s tasks while lucid - 30 points
  • Completing one or more of a week’s tasks within a week of it being posted - 20 points
  • Completing one or more of a week’s tasks in the same dream as a task from a different week - 20 points
  • Completing the LD4all Monthly Quest while lucid - 75 points
  • Personal goal while lucid - 100 points
  • Personal goal in a non-lucid dream - 20 points
  • Completing a task while transformed as your chosen character - 5 points

Dream lengths are subjective estimates (you can’t measure how long the dream really was, at least not without using an EEG machine or similar) and “short” is relative to how long your lucid dreams usually last. If you haven’t had a lucid dream before, use short <= 1 minute < medium <= 5 minutes < long.

If you achieve your personal goal twice, lucid and non-lucid, you only get the 100 points for the lucid.

If you qualify for both the “early” and “combo” bonus in a given week, you only get 20 points (not 20+20=40).[/*:m][/list:u]

Sign-Ups

As usual, we will need a total of 10 participants before we start. To sign up, post a message in this thread, copying the current list of sign ups and adding your own name at the end. Please use this format:

. -

e.g. 1. Susan_Y - Swim underwater

Your sign up can optionally include a character you want to transform into and/or a personal goal you want to achieve while lucid.

The character transformation is worth 5 points for each task you complete as the character. The personal goal is worth 100 points if achieved in a lucid dream. In previous challenges, the personal goal hasn’t been worth any points in a non-lucid dream, but I’m going to make a rule change and say it’s worth 20 points if achieved in a non-lucid dream. If you do it twice, in both lucid and non-lucid dreams, you only get the 100 points. Dreams where you don’t become fully lucid, but somehow remember the task and do it, are close enough to controlling the dream that I think they should get some points.

Week 1 - Late for School
Week 2 - Star Wars
Week 3 - Pirates!
Week 4 - Magic

1. Thorn — Breathe fire
    My avatar is my character as usual. I needed to guarantee at least one big dragon was in this LC.

/me ROARs!

1. Thorn — Breathe fire
  2. James_UK2008 — Change size

My target form for this LC will be the Assault Trooper Alien as it appeared in Duke Nukem Forever.

1. Thorn — Breathe fire
  3. Scipio Xaos — Flight with Cardia

I’ll also be using my avatar as my character for this LC. :smile:

1. Thorn — Breathe fire
  4. Obfusc8 - Summon and do a different task with every LC participant

To challenge myself I’m activating the higher difficulty setting - only claiming tasks and goals completed while lucid plus only lucid dreams in which I complete a task. Also, skipping character points. I prefer to do different transformations, not the same one over and over…

And my goal becomes more difficult the more people sign up, so c’mon, gimme a challenge! :cool:

EDIT: changed goal to be a task completion because just speaking… meh. Also means I can’t claim lucid points just for summoning and talking to someone. (And it needs to be a different task each time)

1.Thorn — Breathe fire
2.James_UK2008 — Change size
3.Scipio Xaos — Flight with Cardia
4.Obfusc8 - Summon and do a different task with every LC participant
5. Luneria - Teleport myself to the crossroad

My character will not be my avatar :wink:
but the girl who have short hair in this picture :
images.jedessine.com/_uploads/me … 2856-niqci d74vaij3hl3xjtjjagl15rtwy-manga-fille-brune-et-blonde-ecoliere-h164203-l_qb t.jpg

1. Thorn — Breathe fire
  6. Letaali - Make a solid attempt at reaching the frozen planet

Heeyyy! It’s me, the guy that gets a lucid dreams every now and then and generally gets nothing done in them. Yep, still trying to reach the frozen planet when I get a chance/ remember it in the dream. If I find a spaceship and try to pilot it towards the frozen planet or if I jump into a wormhole that leads to the frozen planet, that’s a solid attempt and will count as success for my personal goal. That’s because even getting that far takes a lot, it seems. If I manage to open a door to another planet, I’ll count that too, even if it doesn’t lead to the right planet. If you feel that this personal goal is too subjective, I’ll change it.

1. Thorn — Breathe fire
  7. Koal44 - Freeze Time

Hi everyone,
well I have had 3 LDs this week, so I just hope I ll keep on being good in this LC. :smile:
So my personal goal is to freeze time so that every DC stop moving for a little while. I will try to have it last a bit so that I can move and play around while the time is frozen.

EDIT: My Character Transformation will be a Koala of course!

@Letaali: That’s fine as a personal goal. As long as you remember in the dream that the Frozen Planet is your objective, and make any kind of attempt to reach it, that’ll count for points.

(I’ve had dreams where I can remember the task I’m trying to do, but can’t manage to do it. The extinct animal task in last LC was an example for me; I only completed that task after then end of the LC).

1. Thorn — Breathe fire
  7. Koal44 - Freeze Time
  8. Majah - Eat wild mushrooms

Hello everyone, I’m looking forward to this challenge, this is my first LC.
I won’t be attempting a character transformation, I’ll save that one for later.

New postPosted: Tue 10 Nov, 2015 Reply with quote

1. Thorn — Breathe fire
  7. Koal44 - Freeze Time
  9. Yanshuf - Teleport near a person I know and kill him\her

I hope this time I’Ll have more success…

Just one more signup and we’ll be ready to go…

1. Thorn — Breathe fire
  7. Koal44 - Freeze Time
  10. Jer - Fly into outer space

After hosting the last LC, I am so ready to be a participant! I think it’s time to get this party started! :partying_face:

Well I did my personal goal last night, although it doesn’t mean anything yet :happy: I attempted to go to the frozen planet in a lucid dream. Made an apartment building fly. I was trying to teleport the whole building to the frozen planet, but had no success.

1. Thorn — Breathe fire
  7. Koal44 - Freeze Time
  10. Jer - Fly into outer space
  11. En’enra - Reach the safe house again

Like last time, I probably won’t be able to go through the whole LC, but I’d like to have some goals, since I didn’t have anything to focus on in recent LDs. I want to enter the same safe house described in one of my recent DJ entries.

Ok, we’ve got enough sign-ups. I’ll post the first week’s tasks on Friday.

Yeaah let s start!
small question, I had a LD an hour ago, it is Friday in Germany, doest it count?

Stopping Time is super hard I dunno if I m going to succeed on my personal goal… :o

Nah, You can do it. I have frozen time in some lucid dreams without even trying. If willpower isn’t enough to make it happen, try grabbing a remote control and pressing the pause button. The personal goal should be challenging imo. So if it’s difficult for you, great! Doing it will be more rewarding. :content:

Me, I have already teleport myself to a place I can see, so not very far ! :wink:
But teleport myself to the cross road ! It’s me too the first time I will try it ! And it’s also very very difficult for me to change myself : I sometime can’t manage to see me normaly in a dream mirror !
So, let’s try !
It can be amazing ! :tongue:

Week 1 - Late for School

(See TV Tropes: Late for School for examples of this cliché in anime and manga. Or, worse yet. read the fanfic in spoiler tags below.

SPOILER - Click to view

As you wake up, daylight is streaming in through your window. You have a feeling you’ve forgotten something. And then you remember: it’s the first day of a new term, and you are late for school. In a hurry, you wash and get dressed. You only have time to eat a piece of toast for breakfast before you rush out of the door, In the street, you bump into someone (gender according to your personal preference). Being clumsy, you drop your school books. You apologize as the stranger helps you pick them up, before you rush off. Once your in class, your teacher announces that there is a new Transfer Student. The new student stands up, walks to the front of the class and writes their name on the blackboard. They are the same person that you bumped into in the street.

This week’s tasks:

Eat breakfast - 20 points

Subtask: breakfast includes a piece of toast - +10 points

Wear a school uniform - 20 points

Meet a dream character - 20 points

Subtask: the DC tells you (or writes down) their name - +10 points For this task, the DC must say or write their name. Knowing their name from background knowledge (e.g. the DC is your mom and you know your mom’s name) isn’t sufficient to claim the points.

Subtask: meet the same DC in dreams on two different nights - +30 points

Visit a high school classroom - 20 points