the BIG "How to stay lucid" topic part II

I’ll give it a try (if I can remember to do it, and lucid enough to remember!)

EDIT: Ok, I tried this last night! I summoned some goggles and filled them with water. When I put them on I felt a bit of that feeling of water on your eyes, but I don’t think the dream got any more vivid. In fact, I woke up right after that (or FA, who knows :neutral: ). I then tried something else: I summoned a bucket and put water in it. I put it on my head as a helmet! Somehow I was able to make it so I could see through it and that the water didn’t leak. Again, I don’t think the dream got any more vivid, but I think it did get a bit more stable. For some reason I think that was more due to me breathing under water and not because my eyes were submerged. I ended up losing a bit of my lucidity and/or waking up after a while anyway. Later on I tried another pair of goggles with the same result. I then tried a glass sphere helmet full of water, which worked like the previous helmet, except that this one was heavy and kept trying to fall off my head. I think at another point I just focused on my breathing, with no water helmet, and that seemed to stabilize things for a moment, so maybe I should experiment a bit with my breathing in LD’s. Plus, the extra stability here and there might have been due to my WBTB.

Nothing conclusive, but it was fun to try! I’ll see if I remember to try it some more, I feel like if I’m a bit more lucid and the dream is vivid/stable enough to start with, the water goggles (or helmet) may work better for me.

Awesome! lol thanks for trying man. You really gave that a go, I appreciate it.

In my last LD the goggle didn’t seem to quite work so I used verbal commands “Raise Lucidity” but that seemed to make everything fade away. Completely. I didn’t to wait for a dream environment to materialize “So for the first time I imagined a white canvas and commanded with my hands Trees>>houses>>roads>>fences!” It was very vague and I think 80 percent was from the dream environment rendering, but it was cool.

But once it did I walked up to the closest house and kneeled down at the WELCOME mat and I adjusted my vision to clearly see that, again it reminded me of those “3D cross eyed images”. “You really nailed that one btw, to the T” It feels exactly like those for me. But as I was trying to hold that clearness I noticed that when I always keep focus on something it holds longer. So as I was walking in the house I was paying close attention to the carped, walls ect… and it also seemed to keep the word intact better.

Next time I will focus on breathing, I guess mainly to stay calm.

Really most of our goals are to maintain high lucidity clearness and dream stability. I feel it can very much be achieved if studied and practiced. It is a fine balance though, but I think for myself and everyone else here will eventually be able to walk that tight rope comfortably. Tricks and tips shed a little light, but its practice determination and accurate personal experimentation that can lead to a comfortable mindset needed to enjoy LD’s to its full potential. :smile:

Agreed!

I haven’t been lucid enough lately, maybe this weekend I’ll get some luck and try these things again :tongue:

I can’t believe I never thought of this!

reality checks have never helped me, i just know when im lucid (ok maybe im ignorant most of the time then? :grin:. Few nights ago i finally managed to get one after a year or so and it felt so blurry. then i said clearness 100% and closed my eyes and opened them again. after that everything was so vivid. then i decided to spawn female npc, but couldnt control her at all (she was a hollow). also i woke up pretty fast after changing time of day.

edit: for some reason commands worked only after touching my forehead with three fingers and it had to be right hand.

I use both rubbing my hands and spinning around

I use both rubbing my hands and spinning around

I have 2 methods of stabilizing, and they are incomplete. One seems to only work at the beginning of the dream, the other I have had great success, but only used twice.

1. Dream watch
    I hit a button on my watch and it stabilizes the dream and makes it more vivid. great success, but it doesn’t work unless I do it at the beginning of the dream.

2. mental
    I “squeeze my brain” and make the lucidity juices flow, this supposedly should make my normal functions come to life with my only function staying asleep still active, keeping me in the dream and able to remember waking life goals and things. This seems to have really good success.

Both of these are based on expectation and dream control. Sometimes adding a mantra or a hands rubbing doesn’t hurt though. :wink:

I always just rub my hands, when I do it I can just feel all my senses going way up, some of them get even better than in real life (Mostly sight and touch). I’m a bit scared to try spinning because I get a lot of FA s, sometimes multiple ones per dream. They seem to happen almost for no reason at all, like I walk into a wall that was supposed to teleport me somewhere. One time I had the stupidest FA, where I woke up standing up with the light on, and everything looked like Minecraft with the FOV turned all the way up. I did a reality check, realized it was a dream, but then came up with some crazy dream excuse for everything going on and changed my mind.

Heey :happy:

Perhaps someone wrote it already :smile: I read something about grounding when you’re having a an anxiety attack (I don’t have that). It was a quick guide and I don’t even know if that grounding technique do work for someone who is suffering such an attack.
The grounding says:

• Find 5 things you can see
  • Find 4 things you can touch
  • Find 3 things you can hear
  • Find 2 things you can smell
  • Find 1 thing you can taste

And I just thought this technique could be used to stabilize a dream! I need to relax and feel my surrounding in a dream otherwise I wake up or lose lucidity.
I think it’s worth a try :happy:

1 Like

It sure works!! I have been getting clarity in my LDs in this way for a few months now.
I don’t usually go all the way down the list though, sight and touch is usually enough for me. :tongue:

:wave: DTDownUnder

Last LD I didn’t need any of this :happy: I only need relax and touch, I don’t think I’ll need the whole list but maybe other ppl do :smile:

Last night I had a LD and decided I would do the full list.
I got down the full list all the way to taste,) for some reason I could taste chocolate chip cookies)
But doing the full list proved to be a bad move. focusing on all my other senses made my vision fade. by the time I had done the list I had about 50% vision. I then tried to walk but I was focusing to much on my vision, and I woke up.

I’m not sure if this is a problem others may have.
I often work in situations that require me to do things without sight e.g. undoing a bolt / tying rope to things where I can’t see it. and while focusing on something, my vision shuts down. It takes me a few seconds of blinking to be able to see again. (i’m not sure why this is)
I think this “focus blackout” is now happening in my dreams.

Its like SSILD. As soon as I try focusing on my senses in different order I cant sleep anymore. The focus on the senses is too strong. No technique for me ! :neutral:

my LDs have been short so my new goal is to try more extension techniques.

id love to know all of your current favourite techniques. if you posted on this thread years ago, does that technique still work for you? what are you using recently?

for stabilizing, i usually have good luck with trying to touch things in the dream world. its interesting to read the posts above that say that this can come at the detriment of sight. i hadnt thought of that.

usually i most need stabilization when i become lucid from a FA RC in the middle of the night and its pitch black so touch is all i have. perhaps for mid-dream DILDs i should use a sight-based technique instead. i use a nose pinch RC when im lying in bed with my eyes closed and sight-based RCs when im up and about in the day. to me it makes sense to tailor techniques to what senses are available at the time.

so far my best extension technique is to be in the habit of doing an RC every time i wake up even if its just to roll over in the middle of the night. this helps catch the LDs i FA out of. but for during an already stable LD i could use some ideas :notify:

Hello dreamers,

I am in my first few steps in the world of LDing. Followed a journal few times before but never really achieved lucidity before. In the last couple of months I achieved a few lucid dreams, say about 5. I’m getting better at stabilizing the dream but still struggling lots and would like some advice. This is my progress so far:

The first one lasted kind of 0.005 sec aprox (lol). As soon as I realized I was in a dream I got so excited. Felt like I was waking up and tried really hard to stay in the dream… I woke up and after a few minutes… I woke up! So at least I had a fake awakening and an interesting experience, though I lost lucidity really quickly.

Second time I tried to turn around myself to stabilize the dream. Woke up automatically.

Third one, become lucid talking to a dream figure and start to fly… But automatically lose control. I start fliying super fast around the dream figure and the dream collapse after a few seconds.

On both the 4th and 5th ones I become lucid in much more vivid dreams and in a more solid way… I start to fly but after a few meters I can’t seem to be able to move in the space anymore… My dream vision becomes blurry. I try to look elsewhere to stabilize the dream but end up opening my eyes and waking up in physical reality.

I’m very happy with my progress but I would like some advice on how to improve that dream stability. Obviously, the more I work on my DJ the more vivid my dreams become and my guess is that will trigger more stability too… I would appreciate if anyone share some technique or experience though.

This topic is very important to me. I’m always sad to read someone’s amazing experiences in their journal, only to find they come to an abrupt end for little reason. Since reading a tutorial on Dreamviews called (I think) “Mastering you Dreams”, many, many years ago, I’ve felt the need to crusade against this problem, but, rather than repeat myself, I’d happily point you to my new guide, “The Master Key” , which includes my take and my personal experience on the matter. I’d also highly recommend the older tutorial from BillyBob, on that forum!

The gist of it is that I don’t worry about how to stay lucid. I don’t have a knack or a method: I focus on inculcating, over the course of days, months and years, a lucid mindset which accepts axiomatically the fact that the lucid experience has its own inertia; that it will neither prove unstable nor cease to exist any more easily than our other two familiar states: waking life and normal dreams.

Neither waking life nor normal dreams have a habit of abruptly ending in the middle of something interesting. Occasionally, the bladder or the alarm clock interrupts a normal dream, but this is not the norm. Most dreams go on to their conclusion.Occasionally, you faint from overexertion in real life, but this too, I hope, is not the norm. The only reason lucid dreams seem different and more delicate is because we, dreamers, have formed an consensus that they ought to do so, and we carry this consensus with us into our lucid experience, changing it for the poorer. There is no good reason why you should effectively lose consciousness, have your awareness downgraded and annihilated, any more often in lucid dreams than in waking life or in normal dreams. How to get rid of the bad reasons is the subject of my guide :write:

I sometimes turn nightmares into lucid dreaming!

1 Like

I do that all the time, or used to

Just breathe… feel the outter body and never look in a mirror and see ur true self…all I can contribute