Rainbow Connection

What my friend thinks on LD's...

Author  Message 
JaRoD
LD Addict :P
cookie lover
Chat Mods

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2004  Reply with quote

I have always thought that lucid dream where real, even if I hadn't had any. I'm not really sure why, because I usually 'the scientist' and awareness during sleep doesn't really sound that logical. But lucid dreams are definately real.

Btw I don't believe in ghosts or similar stuff. But I do believe in aliens, but I don't believe that they have been to our planet. But they are definately out the somewhere in the universe. I mean consider that there are millions of stars in our galaxy and every star probably has atleast one planet around it. And there are millions of galaxies in the universe. How can we really think that we are alone considering those numbers?

Sorry for going off topic.

milod789
Night Explorer
LD4all addict

PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2004  Reply with quote

sno_isulli

Quote:
Wow, that sounds like such a sarcastic statement (and yet sarcasm doesn't seem like your thing). You're right though.

LOL Yes it does. Now that I look at it again. I did not realize it at the time. I certainly did not mean it that way. I think I meant it jokingly.

Sentient
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

Shine, the light of humanity
PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2004  Reply with quote

Jarod:
"...'the scientist' and awareness during sleep doesn't really sound that logical"
We have all observed the irrationality of dream and LD consciousness, even. The problem lies in the translation from logic, or what we can put into words, into the abstract which is what a good deal of our sleeping consciouness is (right hemisphere, abstract right?), and that into action. Funny, how INTP's seem to dominate this forum and how they tend to be quite abstract and creative. smile *INTP REPRESENNNNT!* grin HEHE oh my god sorry about that cheesy asterisk comment thing.

"And there are millions of galaxies in the universe. How can we really think that we are alone considering those numbers? "
One of the reasons, i think, that people debate the possible infinite nature of the universe is because, by implication, if the universe were infinite, there would exist infinite other lifeforms in infinite other planets...of infinitely varying degrees of 'intelligence' and evolution i might add. siiw

Downward~Spiral states:
"When I first heard about lucid dreaming about a month ago, I thought of it as a novelty. Kind of like a dream catcher of some sort."

Woa, for some reason, from that i can totally see a different point of view. It is the view of the one who does not know about LDs.

"If I had never had any dreams in my life, I would have just thought it was some dumb spiritual idea just like all the others ones out there."
Hmm, lack of experience of LD's, one does not know their true worth and potentiality. For some reason now, the ignorant do not seem as ignorant. Thank you for the insight. smile

As far as such ignorance in people, yeah i must agree with the 'let it be' viewpoint. We all go through life differently, LDs may not be for them (though i doubt that there is a person alive who does not like having an LD!), eh, the most you can do is speak to them of personal experience and how beneficial and wonderful it is. From there it is their call.

DevilsAdvocate
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun, 2004  Reply with quote

first of all i don't understand why everyone is getting so defensive about this - like you whole world would be turned upside down if this theory were even considered. i think its an interesting thing to think about but after a while you realize that there really isn't much of a difference between the two possibilities. even in NDs you make decisions on what to do based on the possibilities presented in you environment and the current state of mind you are in. whether these decisions are controled by your subconscious mind or not is irrelevant (i hate when people talk about the 'subconscious' like it is a seperate being that is controling them against their will - you subconscious is YOU therefore anything it 'tells' you to do is YOUR will). if we accept that me make decisions in NDs then a ND in which you have the knowledge that you are dreaming you have the option of thinking about the implications of that which would shift you state of mind to a more waking-like state (this would result in what most of us would call a lucid dream) or you can choose not to think about those implications in which case you will have what we refer to as a fake lucid dream. the point i'm trying to make is that regardless of whether a dream is "lucid" or not we make decisions and knowing that you are dreaming is just another factor that influences the types of decisions you make. there is no difference between have a 'lucid dream' and a normal dream in which you are dreaming about being in control because the belief that you are in control would influence the types of decisions you made so it would be exactly like a lucid dream.

p.s. don't reject theories just because if they were proven to be true that would imply something you do not want to believe - its a falacy (Appeal to Consequence) smile

Monitor199a
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun, 2004  Reply with quote

DevilsAdvocate wrote:
there is no difference between have a 'lucid dream' and a normal dream in which you are dreaming about being in control because the belief that you are in control would influence the types of decisions you made so it would be exactly like a lucid dream.

Not quite. Lucidity is not the same thing as control of the dream or knowledge of your dream state. Lucidity is actually the experience of being completely conscious while in a dream state. Knowing that you're dreaming or having control of the dream are only the primary consequences of lucidity.

r3m0t
A head librarian
cookie lover

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004  Reply with quote

Quote:
Lucidity is not the same thing as control of the dream or knowledge of your dream state.

WHat's the difference?

Monitor199a
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jun, 2004  Reply with quote

Because even in a non-lucid dream, you can think "wow, it's a dream, I'm going to fly now!"

With lucidity though, your brain becomes fully awake, you're conscious. Have you ever said to yourself "why did I do that in the dream, my dream-self is really stupid"? When you become lucid your dream-self ceases to exist and your actual self takes control.

Atheist
Hopelessly devoted
cookie lover

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jun, 2004  Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Monitor. From what I understand, a proper lucid dream actually involves the use of cognitive functions of the brain that are otherwise dormant during regular sleep. Despite how relative the content of the dream is to the topic of lucidity, there’s still a fundamental difference that clearly distinguishes a lucid dream from its regular counterpart. At least, that’s what I’m led to believe.

tapir
flying mod
cookie lover

"Controlling your dreams" and "knowing that you are dreaming" are just words that are often used to describe lucidity.
I think the best description is "being awake in your dream", since the only thing that makes a dream lucid is your state of mind. Knowledge and control are often accompanied by the lucid state of mind, but not necessarily.

Quote:
DevilsAdvocate wrote:
there is no difference between have a 'lucid dream' and a normal dream in which you are dreaming about being in control because the belief that you are in control would influence the types of decisions you made so it would be exactly like a lucid dream.

Sorry, but this is neither logical nor true.
Does the believe that you are awake make you act like you would do when awake? No, you sometimes act very irrational in your NDs.
Anyways, no need to theorize about it, I've had quite a lot false lucids.

tapir

Monitor199a
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

LanaLang wrote:
I think that our brain don't have enough power to render the entire world with so many other people in it and make it so real with such a detail and stuff to it,

That's one of the things that struck me in my first lucid dreams, how detailed everything is. I wouldn't have thought it was possible, but it was. The realization that not only can the brain de-code the world and allow you to see what is, but can also create its own world, is a bit like discovering that your CD player can write its own songs.

On the other hand, your brain can imagine things all the time, whenever you use your imagination to draw a picture. Still, it's interesting to see it all happen in a dream outside of your conscious control.

JaRoD
LD Addict :P
cookie lover
Chat Mods

A few days ago I imagined something in a dream and I was amazed at how real everything looked. Then I "woke up" into another dream and told my friend how real everything looks in a LD.

Too bad I didn't get lucid while imagining, because I saw a girl undressing infront of me grin

DreamerKrystal
Energizer-Bunny
Somniologist

PostPosted: Tue 07 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

Twocows: Thats an excellent idea. However: Unless Mike can be sure of having a Lucid Dream IN THE AFTERNOON, it may not work. And what if he loses control and it turns back into a Normal Dream?

By the way, the reason I say he has to have the dream in the afternoon, is because I seriously doubt that his friend will stay up all night for something he doesn't believe in.

Sarah
You lost The Game : )
cookie lover
LD count: 21/2 :D

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006  Reply with quote

im not sure....but its kinda odd how when u want somein to happen it happens in ur dreams...sooo it could be true but maybe its not hmmmmmmmm...

quantum physics
paranoid conspirator
Astral Explorer
LD count: 42

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2006  Reply with quote

this is in my friends profile
Quote:
Put this in your profile if you think lucid dreaming is a waste of time and a false reality

Sepultura123
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006  Reply with quote

angel2749 wrote:
im not sure....but its kinda odd how when u want somein to happen it happens in ur dreams...sooo it could be true but maybe its not hmmmmmmmm...

You really understand nothing , I would be shy at your place.

print