The Secret of Frequent Lucid Dreamers

I find this a great article since no method is working for me. I started doing RC’s 1 week ago and i’m doing them already without telling myself to do one. I just randomly get the urge to do a RC. The question how ever doesn’t work for me since i remember almost everything of the whole day. Thank you for the article :smile:

I like this! A simple question: what was I just doing? Ive done a similar question before: what was i just thinking about? Combined, this might just work out without having to wake up in the mid of the night! damn 1500 lucid dreams per year? thats like 4 lucid dreams per night! Does she never have normal dreams?

This question and a dream journal when I wake up in the morning or night is hopefully what will work for me.

Fantastic thread! Thanks for the tips. c:

I really enjoyed this article and I’ll certainly be trying out these excellent tips. Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the interesting comments and observations about this technique of Developing a Lucid Mindset. :content:

Obviously, it is not for everyone – but some people will discover that it works for them when practiced thoughtfully.

their frequent lucid dreaming could be traced back to persistent childhood nightmares where they learned how to achieve lucidity to deal with nightmare scenarios. In other cases, their frequent lucid dreaming seemed connected to certain waking mental habits.

He is dead on…

Fantastic post, I’m in the middle of trying to achieve this.

I’d be curious to hear if any of the earlier posters on this thread had any luck forming their “Lucid Mindset”?

Amazing stuff Robert! I have only recently begun to ask myself the same question, why do some people seem to naturally become lucid in their dreams?
This seems to be a more than fitting answer and I have been doing my best to adopt this mindset. To over analyze my entire day, throughout my entire day. It also seems to have a positive effect on my short and long term memory as well as my dream recall. Since I have been trying this I find myself not just going through my day but really experiencing each moment so that I have more information to go over when I do ask the question, What was I just doing?

Wishing all you dreamers out there the best of luck in your endeavours :happy:

So the key is THE CRITICAL QUESTION.

I get the feeling that, “What was I just doing?” wouldn’t work for me. But I do like Wyvern’s
“Is this realistic? Why? What was I doing before to get to this point?”
since it brings the thought of a possible dream to mind first instead of the tedious review of the last hour.

Indeed, I thing THE critical question is different from a people to another, each of us has to find the one that corresponds to his personality.

As far as I’m concerned I feel frustrated because on the four LD I had (I wish I had more ! :cry: ) i jus’t don’t know with three of them how I became lucid ! For two, I was in a corridor I didn’t know and it came to my mind that I was lucid, and another one I was in my job, during a meeting, and then I just realized, without knowing why, that it was a dream (how wonderfull was this one, I jumped on the table and shouted what I thought about my colleagues :grin: )

And I said in a previous post, in the last LD, I did my RC and it didn’t work ! I realized then because the room in which I was had another wall.

To me, I think I have to be aware of the place I am and the people I am with.

Thank you for this very intersting article.

many thanks from germany :smile:

Such an awesome post, thanks it was a good read :smile:

Hello!
This is my first time here and i just want to say that I’m very happy to be here and to share my opinion.
Thanks!

If I remember correctly, Tholey’s Combined Technique, at least as it was presented in his “Techniques for Inducing and Manipulating Lucid Dreams” in Perceptual and Motor Skills, also encouraged attempts to recall what had occurred previous to the moment of asking the critical question.
Tholey’s Combined Technique is still a favorite of mine, as it encourages an attitude critical-reflection in waking life as well in one’s dreams.

this makes a lot of sense. research neurodiversity, “schizophrenia” doesn’t have to be a bad thing :slight_smile: It can be really fun intense and deep and make you feel very connected to a different reality

Tibetan Dream Yoga essentially? Never lose a high consciousness level?

I got to remember this

There saved!

This approach, well termed here as ‘lucid mindset’’ and pioneered by Paul Tholey, seems to be the best way to consistently have lucid dreams thought it is not necessarily the easiest or quickest means to get your first lucid.

Also, the term critical question comes from Tholey’s writing on the technique.

Here is the Tholey approach to induce lucid dreams in from Tholey, Paul (1983). “Techniques for inducing and manipulating lucid dreams”. Perceptual and Motor Skills. 57 (1): 79–90:

(1) The subject should ask himself the critical question (“am I dreaming or not’?”) at least five to ten times a day.

(2) At the same time the subject should try to imagine intensely that he is in a dream

state, that is, that everything he perceives, including his own body, is merely a dream.

(3) While asking himself the critical question the subject should concentrate not only on contemporary occurrences, but also on events which have already taken place. Does he come upon something unusual, or does he suffer from lapses of memory? A minute suffices to answer the question.

(4) The subject should ask himself the critical question as a rule in all situations which are characteristic for dreams, that is, whenever something surprising or improbable occurs or whenever he experiences powerful emotions.

(5) It is especially helpful in learning how to dream lucidly if the subject has dreams with a recurrent content. For example, if he frequently has feelings of fear or often sees dogs in his dreams, then he should ask himself the critical question concerning his state of consciousness whenever he finds himself in threatening situations or sees a dog in the daytime.

(6) If the subject often has dream experiences which never or rarely occur in a waking state, such as floating or flying, then he should, while awake, try intensely to imagine that he is having such an experience, telling himself that he is dreaming.

(7) If the subject has difficulty recalling his normal dreams, he should employ methods for improving dream recollection such as are described in recent literature on dreaming.

In most cases, however, practice in attaining the critical-reflective frame of mind will improve the subject’s ability to recall his dreams.

(8) The subject should go to sleep thinking that he is going to attain awareness of dreaming while in this state. Any conscious effort of will must be avoided while thinking this thought.

This method is especially effective when the subject has just awakened in the early morning hours and has the feeling that he is about to fall asleep again.

(9) The subject should resolve to carry out a particular action while dreaming. Simple motions are sufficient.

Hope this helps.

1 Like