Tinnitus and Lucid Dreaming

I’ve had a mild tinnitus for a long time and I’ve recently had a thought that maybe it was the reason why I am a natural lucid dreamer. I am always able to hear a high frequency in my ear that sounds like an old television. It’s not very loud but I can definitely hear it, especially when things are quiet, like when I am trying to fall asleep. My question was what if that Tinnitus is acting as a built-in reality check, that I don’t notice, but is subconscious. Just an idea, If you have any thoughts on this please let me know.

I have tinnitus. I can’t see how it could work as a RC.

I’m not sure, it was just a thought. Since I can always hear the noise, I might not be able to hear it in my sleep. Without knowing it I might be able to realize I’m dreaming.

It is very possible that it’s completely unrelated though. :bored:

if you always hear the noise, it’s probably also in your dreams since you expect it.

I suppose you could try telling the sound to stop as a RC. Wouldn’t recommend it though, since as soon as you think of the tinnitus - you become more aware of it.

I have quite severe tinnitus and I also don’t see how it could be used as a RC. The noise is always there, only things like lawnmowers can drown it out. Next time I have an LD I’ll see if I can hear complete silence as an experiment.