Why our bodies itch trying to do a WILD?

Hey everyone!

Every time I try to perform a WILD there is always some itching sensation. Why do our bodies do this, and is there anything I can do to prevent this?

I think it mainly has to do with the fact that during WILD we tend to be more aware of our body. When you’re in this kind of meditative state while trying to WILD, you start blocking out more and more of the external world… which means you start focusing more on more internal sensations. The thing about itchiness is that it’s mainly a mental thing, focusing on the sensation of itchiness just makes it worse. Next time you feel a standard itch, don’t scratch it and instead just focus on it. For me it just gets worse, which makes me focus on it even more, and it becomes almost unbearable. :tongue:

My advice for dealing with this? Just scratch the itch. It’s better than dealing with increasingly annoying itches later. And if you are feeling these kind of itching sensations, you probably aren’t too far into the process of falling asleep anyway, so you don’t really have much to lose.

I agree with Mew don’t scratch the itch. especially if you put in a lot of time already not moving. Same thing if its just been a few minutes then go ahead and scratch. Its not going to affect anything because your not so deep into your trance state yet.
My experience with WILD is a long one. I’ve laid still on my back sometimes for over 2 hours “determination”. Resisting everything the body is trying to get me to do. Like roll over and scratch an itch. Feeling heavy throughout the body and hypnagogic images is as far as I can get before giving up and just rolling over and going to sleep.
Here’s the cool part. Learning about WILD in my rookie years. Its said the best time to attempt a WILD is early in the morning. Well I got in my head if I try WILD first thing at night when I go to bed and if I succeed, I would be lucid for a longer amount of time. With determination I put it to the test. I’m talking about months of practice. It was tough but I did it! but check this out. The WILD didn’t kick in until after a lengthy no movement session and giving up and rolling over.
That’s when the WILD happened and sure enough super lucid and about 7 to 8 dreams with full recall in the morning. Funny thing also every WILD retry was never the same. You always go in different. So never assume it will be the same as your first one.

1 Like

For me, itchyness or generally a strong urge to move to readjust my position are a good sign because they’re usually followed by falling deeper into a half-conscious sleep. If I just lay motionless and wait out the itch for a minute or so, I start getting funny vibrations throughout my body. It’s like my body is testing if I’ve really committed to trying to get the WILD.

it could be your body’s way of testing you if you are asleep or not. like the roll over test your body can send to your brain