What my friend thinks on LD's...

Lucid dreaming has been recognised and accepted by neurologists who have done experiments on dreams. Best simple example, someone that will observe you while you’re sleeping tells you to move your eyes to certain positions in a certain sequence so when you go to lucid dreaming, the observer can see your movements while REM.

Sure it can and does everyday. According to most experts everything you see, hear, feel and experience is created in your mind. For example, when you look at something you do not see it with your eyes. Your eyes just send impulses back to your brain creates the picture of what you are seeing. That is the basic non- technical description of it anyway.

silva

You are not going to convince everyone and if people do not want to believe you that’s ok. Respect there right to live in ignorance. Better to spend your energy helping people who want to know more about LD ing.

Good luck

Wow, that sounds like such a sarcastic statement (and yet sarcasm doesn’t seem like your thing). You’re right though. Sometimes you just gotta say “whatever” and forget about trying to change peoples’ opinions. They usually don’t want to make the effort so why even bother after they’ve slammed the door in your face? (That wasn’t meant to sound spiteful, I promise.) :wiske:

When I first heard about lucid dreaming about a month ago, I thought of it as a novelty. Kind of like a dream catcher of some sort. The thing that made me interested and actually give it a shot was that I know that dreams do excist, so what is stopping anyone from controlling them. If I had never had any dreams in my life, I would have just thought it was some dumb spiritual idea just like all the others ones out there.

From my short experience with lucid dreaming, I have already had a lucid dream and and a false lucid dream. After I was done dreaming during the false one I knew that I was aware of my dream state, but wasn’t able to do anything to control it. Some stuff that I wanted to happen did happen though. I wanted to try to fly, and I did try, but I was not in control of my body, it was doing everything on its own.

If a skeptic on religion, ghosts, aliens, spirits and all that junk could believe in lucid dreaming, I don’t see how anyone else could object. Unless they don’t remember dreams, like I was saying.

I have always thought that lucid dream where real, even if I hadn’t had any. I’m not really sure why, because I usually ‘the scientist’ and awareness during sleep doesn’t really sound that logical. But lucid dreams are definately real.

Btw I don’t believe in ghosts or similar stuff. But I do believe in aliens, but I don’t believe that they have been to our planet. But they are definately out the somewhere in the universe. I mean consider that there are millions of stars in our galaxy and every star probably has atleast one planet around it. And there are millions of galaxies in the universe. How can we really think that we are alone considering those numbers?

Sorry for going off topic.

sno_isulli

LOL Yes it does. Now that I look at it again. I did not realize it at the time. I certainly did not mean it that way. I think I meant it jokingly.

Jarod:
“…‘the scientist’ and awareness during sleep doesn’t really sound that logical”
We have all observed the irrationality of dream and LD consciousness, even. The problem lies in the translation from logic, or what we can put into words, into the abstract which is what a good deal of our sleeping consciouness is (right hemisphere, abstract right?), and that into action. Funny, how INTP’s seem to dominate this forum and how they tend to be quite abstract and creative. :smile: INTP REPRESENNNNT! :grin: HEHE oh my god sorry about that cheesy asterisk comment thing.

"And there are millions of galaxies in the universe. How can we really think that we are alone considering those numbers? "
One of the reasons, i think, that people debate the possible infinite nature of the universe is because, by implication, if the universe were infinite, there would exist infinite other lifeforms in infinite other planets…of infinitely varying degrees of ‘intelligence’ and evolution i might add. :cool:

Downward~Spiral states:
“When I first heard about lucid dreaming about a month ago, I thought of it as a novelty. Kind of like a dream catcher of some sort.”

Woa, for some reason, from that i can totally see a different point of view. It is the view of the one who does not know about LDs.

“If I had never had any dreams in my life, I would have just thought it was some dumb spiritual idea just like all the others ones out there.”
Hmm, lack of experience of LD’s, one does not know their true worth and potentiality. For some reason now, the ignorant do not seem as ignorant. Thank you for the insight. :smile:

As far as such ignorance in people, yeah i must agree with the ‘let it be’ viewpoint. We all go through life differently, LDs may not be for them (though i doubt that there is a person alive who does not like having an LD!), eh, the most you can do is speak to them of personal experience and how beneficial and wonderful it is. From there it is their call.

first of all i don’t understand why everyone is getting so defensive about this - like you whole world would be turned upside down if this theory were even considered. i think its an interesting thing to think about but after a while you realize that there really isn’t much of a difference between the two possibilities. even in NDs you make decisions on what to do based on the possibilities presented in you environment and the current state of mind you are in. whether these decisions are controled by your subconscious mind or not is irrelevant (i hate when people talk about the ‘subconscious’ like it is a seperate being that is controling them against their will - you subconscious is YOU therefore anything it ‘tells’ you to do is YOUR will). if we accept that me make decisions in NDs then a ND in which you have the knowledge that you are dreaming you have the option of thinking about the implications of that which would shift you state of mind to a more waking-like state (this would result in what most of us would call a lucid dream) or you can choose not to think about those implications in which case you will have what we refer to as a fake lucid dream. the point i’m trying to make is that regardless of whether a dream is “lucid” or not we make decisions and knowing that you are dreaming is just another factor that influences the types of decisions you make. there is no difference between have a ‘lucid dream’ and a normal dream in which you are dreaming about being in control because the belief that you are in control would influence the types of decisions you made so it would be exactly like a lucid dream.

p.s. don’t reject theories just because if they were proven to be true that would imply something you do not want to believe - its a falacy (Appeal to Consequence) :smile:

Not quite. Lucidity is not the same thing as control of the dream or knowledge of your dream state. Lucidity is actually the experience of being completely conscious while in a dream state. Knowing that you’re dreaming or having control of the dream are only the primary consequences of lucidity.

WHat’s the difference?

Because even in a non-lucid dream, you can think “wow, it’s a dream, I’m going to fly now!”

With lucidity though, your brain becomes fully awake, you’re conscious. Have you ever said to yourself “why did I do that in the dream, my dream-self is really stupid”? When you become lucid your dream-self ceases to exist and your actual self takes control.

I tend to agree with Monitor. From what I understand, a proper lucid dream actually involves the use of cognitive functions of the brain that are otherwise dormant during regular sleep. Despite how relative the content of the dream is to the topic of lucidity, there’s still a fundamental difference that clearly distinguishes a lucid dream from its regular counterpart. At least, that’s what I’m led to believe.

“Controlling your dreams” and “knowing that you are dreaming” are just words that are often used to describe lucidity.
I think the best description is “being awake in your dream”, since the only thing that makes a dream lucid is your state of mind. Knowledge and control are often accompanied by the lucid state of mind, but not necessarily.

Sorry, but this is neither logical nor true.
Does the believe that you are awake make you act like you would do when awake? No, you sometimes act very irrational in your NDs.
Anyways, no need to theorize about it, I’ve had quite a lot false lucids.

tapir

That’s one of the things that struck me in my first lucid dreams, how detailed everything is. I wouldn’t have thought it was possible, but it was. The realization that not only can the brain de-code the world and allow you to see what is, but can also create its own world, is a bit like discovering that your CD player can write its own songs.

On the other hand, your brain can imagine things all the time, whenever you use your imagination to draw a picture. Still, it’s interesting to see it all happen in a dream outside of your conscious control.

A few days ago I imagined something in a dream and I was amazed at how real everything looked. Then I “woke up” into another dream and told my friend how real everything looks in a LD.

Too bad I didn’t get lucid while imagining, because I saw a girl undressing infront of me :grin:

Twocows: Thats an excellent idea. However: Unless Mike can be sure of having a Lucid Dream IN THE AFTERNOON, it may not work. And what if he loses control and it turns back into a Normal Dream?

By the way, the reason I say he has to have the dream in the afternoon, is because I seriously doubt that his friend will stay up all night for something he doesn’t believe in.

im not sure…but its kinda odd how when u want somein to happen it happens in ur dreams…sooo it could be true but maybe its not hmmmmmmmm…

this is in my friends profile

You really understand nothing , I would be shy at your place.

:smile: This topic might be really old but here is something to think about…

I had a dream was in my room playing xbox then i said to my self "hey, i am dreaming :neutral: " but nothing came. Then i suddenly said "Hey I am dreaming" And i got up open my closet and jumped into a mirror and had some lucid adventures.

So as you can see i could say i had a lucid dream cause i realize i was dreaming. But i was not actually consicuos about it. Therefore you can know you are dreaming but not consious about it.

PS just something to think about :wink: