The BIG sleep paralysis and old hag topic

I agree with Dysamalex concerning the definitions. But it remains to be proved if these perceptions are or not “beings”…

Well, that again depends on what you mean by “beings.”

IMO they are, but can of course never be “proven” to be the kind of beings the scientists deal with. That is, you could never reach that kind of consensus that you can regarding any other rabbit or albatross, catching them, measuring them… all that.

In a way all the independent reports and experiences can count as proof (kind of), though. And anyway these creatures have a certain kind of behaviour, you can interact with them, touch them etc. Subjectively this makes them into a kind of being, which should be good enough. :smile:

Heh, I used to be the same way when I was younger, it actually stopped me from sleeping. The thought that aliens were going to break in and abduct me :cool_laugh:

But you know what? I saw this documentary on one of those documentary channels a while ago about sight and there were saying that sight is actually a lot like dreams.

Firstly, they were saying that you actually make up a lot of what you see.

Then later on they said that it seems you actually INVENT YOUR ENTIRE SIGHT inside your head… kind of thing. It’s hard to explain, and that seeing was a lot like a dream. It’s all in your head.

Kind of thing :neutral: . It’s confusing I guess…

But ****ing hell! I hope to God I never get this “old hag” ****, it’d scare the **** out of me! :neutral: :cool_laugh:

That, however, would be a different story :cool:

Me, I’m kind of undecided… but I know one thing, the American government IS hiding SOMETHING. Whatever it is I don’t know, but they’re hiding something judging from all the blackened out censoring of certain documents.

Then there’s Shag Harbour (lol… what a name) and the ufo that’s alledged to have crashed there.

But you know, I’ve dreamt about aliens before…

one was freaky… **** it, all my dreams are freaky as hell :eh: :content:

I can’t remember much, but considering how many years ago it was, I can remember a hell of a lot.

I was in a hotel or something… and I think my parents were there. My dad I think was Eamon Holmes :eh:.

Then… something happened perhaps or something and there were these aliens continually saying “We were there masters!” in a weird kind of high pitched hypnotic way.

****ing weird as hell, that’s why I don’t write down some of my most non-sensical ****ing weird dreams.

There was another I remember where there was an alien spacecraft in the back garden, I think my mother was abducted and taken away.

Then I think I just carried on almost as normal :tongue: .

Wait… are you dreaming that you’re moving around the room or are you really walking around the room, beating up an imaginary spectre? :tongue: :content:

sounds funny to watch. However I’m making fun of a ****ing terrible situation… UGH… don’t want that to ever happen to me.

Now I’m being ****ing freaked out… a lot :eh: :confused: :neutral: :cool_laugh:

I never knew that… interesting :content:

Yeah but you could say that of any dream object.

Like I said about scientists thinking we create… “our visual world” entirely in our heads, just because you see something, and you can feel it, or smell it or taste it doesn’t even necessarily mean it’s there.

Finishing note: Old hags sound scary as hell. But these things Dysamalex is talking about sound quite… intriguing

:cool_laugh: [/i]

Strange, isn’t Mare a name for a female horse or something? I remember one time I had a bad dream, it was storming pretty hard and it was night. I looked out this little window in my front door. I could see…farther then usual, and there was like a terrace thing behind the houses across the street. All the sudden this black horse with a rider all dressed and black ran through the front lawn of the house across the street. It jumped into the air for a second, shrieked and ran off. I took a few steps back, I just KNEW this was a very bad sign and that some scray ■■■■ was about to happen. I woke myself up. The day that followed that dream ended up being one of the worse I’ve ever had.

Yes, as you can see in the Fussli painting “The Nightmare”.
https://www.artchive.com/artchive/F/fussli/fuseli_nightmare.jpg.html

“Indeed, the word nightmare comes from the Anglo-Saxon mare, for goblin or incubus.” (Laberge, EWLD)

Hmmm… that’s right. It will need a shared dream laboratory, with shared dream instruments, like EEG, etc. and would be rather difficult :wink:

All my SP:s had been about me walking into a black hole and time freezes…but it was a long time ago and I solved my fear of SP by walking halfways into the black hole and going back to where I started the dream.

This topic has been designated at the “BIG sleep paralysis and old hag topic”
Many topics have been created about this subject, and we have merged them all into one BIG topic. Merged topics include several threads, and since threads are arranged by date it may read confusing. This thread has merged quite well though. :smile:

Um… I’m not sure if this is the old hag thing so I want to make sure.

I was moving in my bed late at night, because I couldn’t sleep, but all of a sudden, I felt something really really heavy on me, kinda like pushing on top of me (I was lying on my back at the time). I’ve heard of something happening like this from some superstitious Vietnamese kids, where like a ghost lies on you or something. So I didn’t open my eyes, because I was a bit scared. And I couldn’t move at all, finally. I was soon able to move my fingers, slowly, but with effort. After a while, I soon regain control of my body.

Is this what the old hag thing is?

This is called sleep paralysis or in mythology, the old hag (as you already know). Legend says it’s the ghost of some old woman who’s trying to crush you to death. What it actually is is your body shutting down for sleep. You see, your body actually paralises itself when you go to sleep so you don’t start acting your dreams out in the real world. However the mind can still be conscious or become conscious while in this state and because of the adrenaline you’re body starts pumping in a frightning situation coupled with the hypnogogic imagery your mind is producing at this time it can seem like you’re being crushed by something evil and melevolant. It’s perfectly natural and happens every night, you’re just usually not aware of it. Hope that helps to reassure you.

I thought old hag was when you thought there was something or someone else in the room with you, which gave you extreme fear…

there is something in your room. its called alien abduction

mwahahaha

oh it’s not fake. it’s real. unless it wouldn’t be happening.

Thanks Blue, that really helped.

Using “old hag” in the “Search” engine yeilds 47 results. There seems to be an “old hag” hype going on. :tongue:

“Old Hag Syndrom” - original topic from 2003

“Old Hag?”

“The Old Hag”

“I think my quest for lucidity is over”

“I think I had the old hag as a child”

“Scared”

I once read SP being defined as:

I recently mentioned in this thread:
“OBE re-entry by tricking the mind”
about how “the presence” or “old hag” may be yourself. The senses are distorted and you may be actually afraid of your own physical body, and confusing it as someone else.

This never seems to happen to me. I wouldn’t fear it, and it can actually be used towards your advantage for a great lucid experience if you can overcome the fear.

Hmm… I kinda want to try to fall into sleep paralysis again. I didn’t find it that hard. I just tried to stay awake as long as I can while laying in bed. But…

It’s so frigen scary. I don’t like horror movies, and everytime I fall into sleep paralysis, I keep having all these horror-movie-type thoughts in my head, and I get frigen scared.

That makes no sense. What’s not fake?

the paralysis?

BTW

If someone would like to contact a incubus/succubus, here’s a way to do it:

-Get yourself some solid combined handcuffs/anklecuffs, so that you will be able to tie your feet and hands on your back.

-IMPORTANT! Make sure that you are able to unlock them unaided, so that you won’t starve to death if you’re unable to.

-Put a container (a casserole maybe) of water in the freezer, wait until it is half frozen. Put the key in, so that it will be frozen in the middle of the block. Put it in until it is hard as wood.

-Take the casserole into a room where you know you will not be disturbed for a long time. A quiet room, not too brightly lit.

-Put yourself on the floor, on a piece of skin. Put the hand/ankle cuffs on.

-Wait.

The passing succubus/incubus will now know (because you know) that you are helpless for some hours. If your position is uncomfortable… good, and don’t hesitate to wimper. You could also cultivate (and express) fear. This will attract them. Also imagine yourself being a waiting slave boy/girl, and promise yourself that you will be obedient to your master/lady.

This might take some tries to work, so don’t give up.

-Tell us how it went.

Use common sense
-Be absolutely sure that you will be able to free yourself.

-When he/she comes be obedient, but don’t do anything stupid because they say so. They have very little understanding of what life in the “real” world is like, so you might need to educate them a bit. Remember he/she does not want anything to happen to you, so if you reason with her she will probably listen.

-She might tell you to dump your girlfriend, or atleast demand that you beat her or something like that, so this might be mostly for single people. (I’m not sure whether incubi are as jealous as succubi, but that might very well be).

Have fun :smile:

Yes, I agree. It’s all pretty much at the same level of realness, I think.

Here’s an interesting link: serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/blindspot1.html

It is a series of interactive experiments to show how the brain construct stuff that you don’t actually see. Read all the text, do the experiment, and follow the link at the bottom. Really interesting.

LaBerge often mentions how, to the brain, dream is as real as waking reality. Since our brain represent our ONLY way to experience reality, the concept of “not really there” becomes a bit difficult. When dealing with dreams and succubi, it is useful to treat it as quite real, at least.

Hehe. At least if you’re into SM :smile:

Noooo ! Terrible Nic is kidding ! He just tries to terrify us. :bored: :devil:
Aren’t you a bit provocative, Nic ( just a little bit ?.. )

last night i had that old hag thing only because i read this post

i went into sp and i opened my eyes expecting to see the old hag or something like it. I have never been so scared in my life. This old hag was not an old hag but a small creature thet was white with black eyes and it had one of those hats with the 2 long things on it and i physically could not hold my eyes open because i was so scared.
When i woke up it was extremely hard to breathe and i was shaking.

Next time i go into sp i will NOT open my eyes at all