LD4all hosting fundraiser: $601.17 raised, WE MADE IT!!!

and host it where? I do agree though, for $400 we should be able to find a better deal. I’ll look around and pm you if I find somehting, Q

This site has loads of server hosting I think: ispcheck.com/
This site contaisn whats’ sussposed to be the best deals: webmaster-affiliates.net/web … _deals.php

Here are what looks like some deals:
lunarpages.com/solutions.htm
jumpline.com/vds_hosting_1000.php
globat.com/packages/index.ph … getPackage
If you search around there are other/configurable deals on those webpages.

lunarpages.com/plan1.htm …That looks pretty fine, right there. :slight_smile: Dual Xeon 2.8 Ghz processors and 4GB memory, with 40 Gigs of bandwidth.

[quote] a 128 mhz linux server can handle areally mutch trafick. and a phpbb forum ur a realy well programd forum.. so it is really unnecessary to drive a phpbb furom on a 1.28 ghz.. wink5 [/quote]

Hmmm…If 1.28 ghz is too much for this forum then I would imagine 2.8 is WAY too much. Yeah, I definitely feel a little stupid-er-er now. :confused:

I guess I wouldn’t really know because 1) I don’t know a whole lot about servers and 2) Q knows the site’s needs and I don’t.

But I do like big numbers. :eek: Does that help?

I use a few different places… www.1and1.com is the cheapest I’ve found so far

I’ll be donating within a few days, I know I’m not a big member or have alot of posts (have around 10k on other forums) but I like the information on here… dreams are free… the helpfulness of forums is free, but serverspace isn’t… so I’ll chip in a few bucks to help keep this site up and running…

unix is entirely different from windows… the only simularity you have, if you want to call it that, is DOS and unix. and those 2 are completly different. 75-80% of the internet is on unix based servers. sure, the higher hz processor you use the faster it goes, but when speaking of just transferring little 1’s and 0’s to show up as a simple forum, it really doesn’t matter. I don’t think many people are going to be playing HALO off of a webserver anytime soon…

thanks everybody :smile:

but you forget… those are shared hosting plans… that means every account runs on that Dual Xeon 2.8 Ghz processors and 4GB memory. There can be hundreds of sites on the same computer…

the new server plan, will be a Virtual Private Server, that means that it runs on the same kind of computer, but configured differently, so every site has their guaranteed amount of processing power.

the bandwidth and diskspace are fine… but the thing that will speed up everything is the processing power and memory that will be guaranteed reserved for ld4all.

now on the shared server, all sites share the same resources. If it is busy, the resources are very thinly spread.

but on the VPS, if it is busy, no matter what, ld4all will still have the allocated memory and processing power.

this means it can be way faster, but it won’t be slower then that limit.

i hope i have explained things a little better now.

FYI: the one i have found is here: hostforweb.com/vps.html

having said that, before i will spend our gathered money i will delve into the hosting scene again, and compare everything.

so if you have a tip, please NO SHARED hosting. Only VPS or better.

btw thanks mac2118! :smile:

It may be a tad overdue, but I’m pleased to say that I’ve finally got around to making a donation. With any luck we’ll be able to find a great deal on a new server - just as soon as pasQuale gets back from holiday.

Better late than never, right? :smile:

thanks atheist :thumbs:

:sad: Argh I feel terrible! I was away during all this! :’(

If I was here I would have been the first to donate! LD4all isn’t only the reason I can LD… it’s the reason I know what an LD is! :happy:

I know the target’s been reached but I take you’ll still take donations pasQuale! Even if it goes to your pocket now, you deserve it! This isn’t just my fave site (good topic and stuff) but it is overall an amazing site! It’s really well designed and very user friendly! Takes a lot of commitment! Spose this is a “WELL DONE!” post really, it’s great you’ve been doing it so long! Expect a donation by next week!

Peace.

128mhz naz. that’s 0.128ghz :tongue:

how about this Q dedicated.westhost.com/ all cheaper than $400 dunno how they are compaired to the one you were looking at though.

thanks pedro! :happy:

DM euhhh those prices are per month, not per year…

D’oh… so it is lol.

have to be honest finding one that low is rather a catch since most cost that a month rather than a year :smile:

yes i know…
that’s why i decided to go for VPS… it is kinda between shared hosting and dedicated server… and more affordable :smile:

Nice work. i am glad to see that ld4all will still be up, and i will be here next year and by then i will actually be able to help out :smile: now i have probally missed it and i am sorry if i did but i have to ask. Will ld4all be down for a extended period of time during the transfer?

if everything goes according to plan there will be no downtime. Only a sudden noticeable change in speed :content:

thank you sentient for your donation! greatly appreciated!
Even though we already have the new server i added it to the final amount :smile:

all raised money will be used for ld4all related purposes. What is not used this year will be used next year for the renewal of the server account.

hey, congrats on the new server!

you might not know this but I am a software developer and I have my own server here at home that serves up my web sites and streaming media, so if you ever need to use it for backups of the forum database or to serve the forum itself, let me know. It probably would be really cheap and can handle everything (2.4GHz 512 MB of RAM with Windows Server 2003) so I can set aside a little processing power and memory over to you. Might even do it for free because I love all the advice and ideas floating around here.

Let me know how I can help. Thanks! :wink:

thanks for the offer AstareGod! :happy: I’ll keep it in mind! :content:

Well, the site’s fast enough already :smile:.

you’re welcome Q

The site is faster r3m0t, but I was just considering the cost of hosting it. I could host it for free while keeping the speed up.