Rainbow Connection

Mapping the DreamScape

Author  Message 
DreamAddict
DayDream
just the colored stars

Mapping the DreamScape
PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov, 2002  Reply with quote

As random as dreams can seem, dreamscapes can remain constant. Some people are even able to visit the same dreamscape over and over again. However, it is rare that people share the same dreamscape.

The idea of this experiment is NOT to create a reference map of dreamscape locations. It is to test the consistency of your dreamscape's dimension.

So here is your task:

-In you next LD find a regular shaped room. Perferably, a room with walls that are parallel to each other.

-Move to one wall and face the other.

-Walk over to the next wall and count your steps. Move your feet heal to toe. One after the other.

-Once you reach the other wall remember how many steps it took to reach the wall.

-Now turn around and repeat the experiment to reach your original starting position.

-Compare the number of steps. Are they the same?

-Repeat the process for more results if necessary and see if the dimensions of the room change.

How many steps did it take to reach the first wall?

How many steps did it take to return to your original position?
This counts as 1 rep.

How many reps did you do?

Did your steps ever remain the same?
If not, how "off" was the steps from the original count?

Did the dimensions noticable change?
Did the walls get closer, or farther?
Did the dreamscape change?

This not only test the consistency of the dreamscape's dimension, but it also test your mathematics ability within dreams.

If the results were inconsistant, do you think it was your math that was off? or was the dimension changed?

I have not had a chance to test this myself, I'll post my results as soon as I obtain them.

Good-luck! thumbs

Atheist
Hopelessly devoted
cookie lover

PostPosted: Tue 05 Nov, 2002  Reply with quote

Coincidentally, I did a test like this a few months ago. I was having a particularly strong LD, and decided to explore my house to see how accurate it was.

Some of the experiments I did were as follows:

- Standing in a hallway and stretching my arms out to touch the walls.
- Reaching up to test the height of the ceiling.
- Examining all the mirrors around the house.
- Checking the position of each of the light switches.
- Viewing the yard form various windows.

I found quite a number of anomales, but I was very pleased to do so. For example, some of the mirrors were smaller than they should be. Various items were placed around the house that I have never seen before. The yard was much larger and more jungle-like. However, in all of this, the physical dimensions of the rooms was constant. Admittedly, I never tried your method of counting steps, but I got a very stable impression of the environment.

In our dreams, we are not God. At least, not consciously. Things can happen that suprise us, and personally I love that. I've always had an extremely good imagination, and for me, letting it create by itself and becoming emerged in the result is truely the best part of the experiece.

DreamAddict
DayDream
just the colored stars

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov, 2002  Reply with quote

I got a chance to try this experiment out last night, unsuccessfully. I was in a place that reminded me of my Jr. High school. I was with another DC when I became lucid. We toyed around in the hallway for sometime before I remembered this experiment. I asked her to try it out with me, so she agreed. I quickly explained the idea to her and we stood on one side of the room. After my third step I woke up. grrr I didn't even get halfway to the other wall.
Must try again later. neutral

Atheist
Hopelessly devoted
cookie lover

It seems as if concentrating on counting your steps caused you to wake up pretty quickly. I wonder if you were focusing too much on counting and not on stabalizing the world or something?

DreamAddict
DayDream
just the colored stars

Very possible. I actually had a good bit of lucidity before I remembered to try the experiment. It was a good length LD but I felt like it had started to end. I started losing lucidity and tried to hurry. I think the feeling of "hurrying" helped ruin my lucidity. That was my impression.
Though, forcing my brain to count was probably a factor. My anticipation of the experiment before I started counted had already done it's damage. :-((

Qu
Founder
Site Admin
Qu has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: lost uhm lots

PostPosted: Wed 04 Dec, 2002  Reply with quote

this one was cool to do grin

... after the initial try to do the 'give up your extraordinary powers' experiment i gave this one a try.

i saw a door and wanted behind it a cubical white walled space.
when i stepped in it was not cubical but it had also triangular aspects. the ground was gritty. the walls where white stone.
i walked to the opposite wall and counted my feet on the way back to the door. 5 something.
i 'footed' back and it was now 7
footed back again and now i counted 11
when i did the counting i looked at my feet. when i looked up, everytime the room had become wider and lighter.
which i may have expected, because i counted more every time i wondered if the room had become bigger as well.
i didn't find it strange that when i walked back the same distance everytime the count had increased.
IRL i would wonder if i counted right the first time etc. in this dream i knew my count was right everytime.

at this point the dream faded.

DreamAddict
DayDream
just the colored stars

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jan, 2003  Reply with quote

this was pretty fun! grin

I had the opportunity to try this experiement at the beginning of my lucidity of a few LDs which you can read about here:
LD4all - "They really do get longer"

I was on a porch and the porch was outlined in brick. It was more like a platform for the entrance to the door than a porch. I aligned one foot to one side of the brick. I began to walk heal to toe. I was not slow and careful and was a bit clumbsy. I was rushing so I could continue with my lucidity. smile

I reached one side in exactly 5 steps. I turned around and this time I was a little short of 5 steps, so I'll count this one as 5½. I turned to repeat the experiment and reached the other side in 3 steps.

I wish I spent more time, but I left the porch and continued on a long and nice LD. I'm also disappointed in my lack of effort towards the experiment. I should have took it slow and careful and done more than 1½ reps.

This does however hint that the space of the dream is usually consistant with real life. The real life porch is also about 5 steps wide. It also seems to be able to change without any noticable change in dimension. My math of the steps changed, but the porch still looked the same.

Dm7
Nonexist
cookie lover

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jan, 2003  Reply with quote

I have been meaning to post that here... always forgot until now. :D

Here it is...

I'm falling asleep on my back (which is very unusual), maintaining the thin line between unconsciousness and consciousness. Something or a mysterious force is holding me in this suspended state. I start to see some weird objects before random images start to be played in the front of my closed eyes. I lie there, waiting for a stable image to appear. Every random image seems to be very vivid so I’m trying to consciously enter a dream. I try to spin, but I realize that I don’t have a dream body yet. I try to imagine myself leaping into the dream world. Still not working. I watch as more random images being played in the front of my closed eyelids. Suddenly, I remember my old technique where I imagine myself sinking (head first) as if I’m diving on my back (just like the opposite of regular flipping… back flipping). Suddenly, I’m experiencing a sinking sensation and my head is going down rapidly. I feel like I’m going deeper in the ocean where the pressure becomes stronger and stronger until I cannot move or feel my body anymore. I quickly find myself in a vivid scene. I’m experiencing a lucid false awakening. I get up, very proud at how much I have accomplished (i.e. achieving WILD at nighttime not in the morning). Everything seems to be a bit dark, but I can see well enough. As I walk, I try to remember what I’m supposed to do. I can’t seem to remember anything so I decide to do some random things. I walk through the walls, trying to feel every detail (yeah, it was too detailed *shudders*). I end up being in the kitchen. Very similar to my RL kitchen. It’s still dark here. Everything are twisting, stretching, or changing as if my mind can’t keep everything stable, still it is very real as if I’m wide awake. I suddenly remember an experiment via ld4all forum about if we can count how big our room is and if it changes if we count again. I look down at my feet… I have swimming fins on. I ignore and then start to walk from one end of my kitchen to other, counting. “7” I thought as I do the same thing again, “13… 7 then 13. Cool!” I look up and my kitchen seems to be stretched. Weird. “Wait a min. how can I be sure if I counted right? Hey I did. I’m 100% sure that I have counted right.” I thought as I look around...

rainbowfire
Just another dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb, 2003  Reply with quote

ooh ooh ooh! I've always noticed this, it's something I recently wrote in my journal.
My dreams usually take place in one of about twenty locations. now, although these locations aren't exactly the same as they are in real life, they are always the same in the dream! My local town, for example, in my dream - ALWAYS has Spar bigger than it is, a toy shop where there isn't one, soem backstreets up the top which arent really there etc!
I think... that if we ARE in some astral world, then it doesnt change, it's just not the same as the place really is!

Legionaire
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

Re: Mapping the DreamScape
PostPosted: Sat 19 Apr, 2003  Reply with quote

DreamAddict wrote:

-In you next LD find a regular shaped room. Perferably, a room with walls that are parallel to each other.

-Move to one wall and face the other.

-Walk over to the next wall and count your steps. Move your feet heal to toe. One after the other.

-Once you reach the other wall remember how many steps it took to reach the wall.

-Now turn around and repeat the experiment to reach your original starting position.

-Compare the number of steps. Are they the same?

-Repeat the process for more results if necessary and see if the dimensions of the room change.

How many steps did it take to reach the first wall?

How many steps did it take to return to your original position?
This counts as 1 rep.

How many reps did you do?

Did your steps ever remain the same?
If not, how "off" was the steps from the original count?

Did the dimensions noticable change?
Did the walls get closer, or farther?
Did the dreamscape change?

This not only test the consistency of the dreamscape's dimension, but it also test your mathematics ability within dreams.

If the results were inconsistant, do you think it was your math that was off? or was the dimension changed?

Ok, my most common starting location for lucid dreams for me is my bedroom so I tested it there. It came out to ten steps by ten steps each of the six times I tried it in one dream and came out the same when I tried four reps the next time I slept. Only the last rep was off on one direction but that was because I couldn't get to the wall, a rat the size of a cow had just chewed through the wall and was trying to get me to pet it. Coincidentally the dimensions of my bedroom in my dream match the dimensions of my bedroom irl. Even the size of my bed and other furnishings in my dreams and irl is the same. It commonly takes a week or two before things I add irl appear in my dream bedroom though.

Xgamer4
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sun 30 May, 2004  Reply with quote

I wonder what would happen if you willed a map of your dreamscape to appear. I should try that when I get a succesful LD.

ilana
Underhuman
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Mon 06 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

In the dream, in which I remembered to do it, there were no small rooms, so I measured the width of the pavement. The results were:
From left to right – nine steps.
From right to left – seven steps. “Hey, I missed one number first time, it must be eight, let me recount…” smile
From left to right – nine steps. No mistakes now. neutral
From right to left – six steps. nervous
From left to right – seven steps. eek2
From right to left – four steps. notify
Here I woke up. Well, I had read the results tend to become smaller and smaller, but I had never thought they can depend on the direction… overspannen

DreamAddict
DayDream
just the colored stars

PostPosted: Wed 08 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

lach1 thanks ilana. It's funny to read the results to this experiment.

waterstarrainbow
Finding the Loop
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

Hello,
I really like the idea of this project. according to results the dreamscapes are really unstable. Do you think over time you could create a stable dreamscape or your dreamscapes can become more stable.. or there are some dreamscapes which are more stable than others?

Maybe places on Astral Planes?

spacecheese
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep, 2004  Reply with quote

The places on the astral plane is constant.. or are they?
Is there someone here that can astral project with ease and try this exepermient out there? Or maybe in a OOBE, but come to think about, in an OOBE you visit places here in the physical world, and those are constant.. Or are they..? ;D

print