The BIG Reality Check topic, part IV
LD4all » Quest for Lucidity

#1: The BIG Reality Check topic, part IV Author: zeroexe PostPosted: Wed 27 Jun, 2007
    ----
<mod>This is part IV of a continued discussion, the previous part can be found here. siiw</mod>

Just popping in a small note justifying this method works.

Recently (about 1 week ago) I started doing RC's everyday, not heaps but up to 20 perday...Last night I was in one of the most strangest dreams and suddenly stopped to do an RC. I pinched my nose and tried to breathe, but couldn't...so although it didn't work, I still attempted it during a dream...I guess if I keep at it, it will work!

Thanks

#2:  Author: whispa PostPosted: Wed 27 Jun, 2007
    ----
I'm sure there are lots, but i can't think of many RC's i could do while falling asleep that don't involve moving my body. I want to do one every 6o seconds which i'll count in my head.

#3:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun, 2007
    ----
Mental RC's are not told a lot about indeed. neutral Perhaps you could try a RC involving memory?

#4:  Author: whispa PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2007
    ----
^I've been doing this one that i read about in a book: ask myself 'What was i doing 5 minutes ago?' If i can remember, then i'm probably not dreaming. But really, i think this question is better for a daytime RC. It's difficult to be certain that you've answered correctly with no outside proof. (With the hand RC it's immediate confirmation that i'm not dreaming - because i look at my hand and see it's not blurry).

This is going to be akward unsure

#5:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2007
    ----
Quote:
I've been doing this one that i read about in a book: ask myself 'What was i doing 5 minutes ago?' If i can remember, then i'm probably not dreaming. But really, i think this question is better for a daytime RC.

That also what I thought, it doesn't sound like a good RC in WILD conditions. Now it could perhaps be slightly modified. For instance, when you count 1, you imagine an object, and when you count 60, you try and remember what object you've thought about ? Just my two cents, I've never test this and I don't have any better idea. sadblauw

And what about performing simple arithmetics? Or possibly remembering an event of the day, instead of something which happened 5 minutes ago? Or a phone number?

#6:  Author: whispa PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2007
    ----
[quote="Basilus West"]
Quote:
Now it could perhaps be slightly modified. For instance, when you count 1, you imagine an object, and when you count 60, you try and remember what object you've thought about ?
I prefer the sound of that. I'll try it tonight smile

#7:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2007
    ----
I was just thinking of something. What effect do you expect from your WILD? Do you worry about being in a dream and not realizing it? If it's the case, perhaps you could just wonder if you're seeing something? If you see a complete environment, then you're dreaming...

#8: No RC's will work!! Help Author: NatePequeno PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul, 2007
    ----
Ok
I have been interested in Dreams and Lucid dreaming for a few months. I have only been able to have 2 barely lucid dreams in that time.

In my dreams, it is nearly impossible to RC.
My dreams are always very strange, but i am dreaming so its "normal", i wouldnt even think to do a RC because it is totaly normal to have pink elephants flying through my window. Also, if i do a RC (i.e. hold my nose) i would come up with some reason why this happened, "oh, i can breath because...."
i would never think to be dreaming even though i am.

I have tried many techniques but have failed, the 2 lucid dreams that i had were natural whatsthat whatsthat whatsthat

Someone.
please help me. tell me techniques that worked best for you because i have been trying this for months with no results and i am getting frustrated because i really want to LD but nothing is working
i have put much effort and time into LDing. (waking up at 3 in the morning, eating bananas before bedtime, RCing many times during the day etc.)
help! help! help! whatsthat
thanks

#9:  Author: Sabre PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul, 2007
    ----
Not all techniques are for everyone. Some people are very good at DILDing, while others can WILD every night and achieve results consistently. There are some techniques that do not rely heavily on RCing, such as WILDing and FILDing. These do require an RC, but not in the context in which you seem to have trouble. I personally reccommend FILDing, as I have had some success with this method. However, only you can find out what technique is most efficient for you.

It is good that you are dedicated to LDing. Motivation is the key to achieving lucidity. Don't get frustrated, no matter how discouraging your limited results are. Just experiment while keeping a calm, determined attitude and you should see some progress. Mabye you should consider taking a break from the ritual techniques. Ironically, some people have actually achieved success just by not thinking about LDing.

#10:  Author: whispa PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul, 2007
    ----
Basilus West wrote:
I was just thinking of something. What effect do you expect from your WILD? Do you worry about being in a dream and not realizing it?

Yes, definitely. When i ask myself an RC question in a dream i might just answer it and not realise where i am.
Basilus West wrote:
If it's the case, perhaps you could just wonder if you're seeing something? If you see a complete environment, then you're dreaming...
8D That's the perfect solution. Thank you for helping. It would've taken me ages to think of a good one

#11:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul, 2007
    ----
Glad to have been some help to you. I hope this idea will work. Please keep us informed of your results. :D

#12: Reality checks losing affect? Author: Dream Dragon PostPosted: Wed 04 Jul, 2007
    ----
<mod>moved from the quest forum moogle </mod>

I find myself doing reality checks every once and a while, but I just don't feel very serious anymore when I check my hands to see if i'm dreaming, for example.

I think my mind has become used to this reality check - i've mixed it up with other reality checks such as checking writing. I've read words in a dream before - they didn't change when I looked back so I sort of don't trust that technique much.

Luckily for me I still have the occasional Lucid Dream - probably at least 2 a month without trying - in which are almost life-like with pretty good control.

#13:  Author: MovieMe PostPosted: Wed 04 Jul, 2007
    ----
I always do the nose-blow RC - I simply don't trust the hand one.

#14:  Author: moinsQ PostPosted: Wed 04 Jul, 2007
    ----
That's well thought because you can focus on trying to blow then instead of suspecting your hands to be normal. smile

#15:  Author: Dream Dragon PostPosted: Mon 09 Jul, 2007
    ----
I actually used the nose one before but not very often. I suppose I could try using that one although i'm very used to checking my hands now.

#16:  Author: kaybee2 PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul, 2007
    ----
I read somewhere that a reliable RC was to look at your hands and pull on one of your fingers.... Apparently if your finger stretches to un-normal lengths, you're dreaming. Don't know about this one (never had an LD so can't exactly test it out), but has anyone ever tried it before? Sorry if this has already been asked, I'm still a newbie and I'm trying to learn as much as I can! ^-^

#17:  Author: Basilus West PostPosted: Wed 25 Jul, 2007
    ----
Yes, stretching my finger is my favorite RC. I would prefer to do another one, cause it's not very reliable, but I generally forget the others and think of this one cause it was the first RC that was tought to me. Anyhow, it's very funny when it works. lach2

As for me, it works about 50% of the time.

#18:  Author: MovieMe PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul, 2007
    ----
I tried to do the nose RC in my LD a few nights ago, but my hand just went right through my nose, and my head, and the rest of me! sadblauw Fortunately that worked just as well tounge2
My hand just went right through me like air tounge2 It felt so wierd :D

#19:  Author: Nr1 PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul, 2007
    ----
my biggest problen in RS;s is that i just dont do them in my dream..
so howmany times a day do i have to do a rc to also do it in my dream? i do about 5 a day now

#20:  Author: ThePromethean PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul, 2007
    ----
i worry that RCs might become so routine that you could glance at your hands or pull your finger whilst dreaming, not really think about it and not register anything strange. should i be concerned about this as a real possibility?

#21:  Author: MovieMe PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul, 2007
    ----
Dragan wrote:
my biggest problen in RS;s is that i just dont do them in my dream..
so howmany times a day do i have to do a rc to also do it in my dream? i do about 5 a day now

5 a day? That is far to few I believe. I'm doing them a little now and then (About 20-35 times a day) It has become a habbit of some sort.

#22:  Author: Vagabondage PostPosted: Tue 31 Jul, 2007
    ----
Looking at my hands doesn't work anymore.

For a while, I looked at my hands. Usually, they were blurry or another finger magically grew if I was dreaming, but soon, my dreams contained more realistic hands. I had to resort to counting my fingers and fingernails. Something was out of place for a while, but soon my dreams had my ACTUAL HANDS. Then, I had to look at my feet and count my toes...

Now, the only RCs that work for me are looking at digital clocks or observing my surroundings such as when I was dreaming and sitting in bed - I have solid-colored flags hanging from my top bunk and I had to take it down and look at it. Checkers appeared on it and I knew I was dreaming...

#23:  Author: kaybee2 PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug, 2007
    ----
Hmm...perhaps I should start doing more RCs. Usually I only do them occasionally (maybe one or two a day). I'm going to start making it a habit and doing it often.

#24:  Author: StEvE21 PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug, 2007
    ----
"i worry that RCs might become so routine that you could glance at your hands or pull your finger whilst dreaming, not really think about it and not register anything strange. should i be concerned about this as a real possibility?"

Yes, that is very much so a possibility. It's happens much more than you might think. Look as what Basilus said about his favourite RC.. "As for me, it works about 50% of the time." What do you think happens the other 50% of the time? The RC doesn't register, and the person does not achieve lucidity.

Reality checks should be used WITH lucid living, not as an alternative to lucid living. This will make them much more effective.

Good luck smile

#25:  Author: Bones PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep, 2007
    ----
StEvE21 wrote:

Reality checks should be used WITH lucid living, not as an alternative to lucid living. This will make them much more effective.

Kind of late I know, but could somebody re-phrase this to a beginner please?

#26:  Author: StEvE21 PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep, 2007
    ----
For example, you shouldn't do a reality check while watching a basketball game and totally concentrating on the game, while ignoring the RC. The act of the RC is not enough. You have to be conscious of it, and you have to remain conscious even after the reality check, throughout the day- always observing and being aware of your surroundings.

#27:  Author: Bones PostPosted: Wed 05 Sep, 2007
    ----
StEvE21 wrote:
For example, you shouldn't do a reality check while watching a basketball game and totally concentrating on the game, while ignoring the RC. The act of the RC is not enough. You have to be conscious of it, and you have to remain conscious even after the reality check, throughout the day- always observing and being aware of your surroundings.

That makes a lot more sense.
Thank you for your help.

#28:  Author: Wishbone PostPosted: Thu 04 Oct, 2007
    ----
Hey there people. As you can see I'm quite new here, but I have a question. I hope this isn't obvious, but I don't really have any other resources to get my information from. When you guys do a RC with numbers. Is it vital the that numbers be ones that regularly change? (a digital clock?) or would any numbers, say on a sign, found in a dream change when doing a RC?

Thanks,

Ted

#29:  Author: kTFox PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2007
    ----
Wishbone wrote:
Hey there people. As you can see I'm quite new here, but I have a question. I hope this isn't obvious, but I don't really have any other resources to get my information from. When you guys do a RC with numbers. Is it vital the that numbers be ones that regularly change? (a digital clock?) or would any numbers, say on a sign, found in a dream change when doing a RC?

Thanks,

Ted

So you look at a sign or something that has words or numbers on it and you look away and look back sometimes it doesn't change the first time, do it again, the sign/numbers should change into something out of the ordinary like gibberish. Also another good RC is you pinching your nose and try to breath through it. If you can breath through it then your in a dream if you can't then you're probably awake.

#30:  Author: MMDreamer PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2007
    ----
I've just started doing RC and up to now I regularly look at my clock, mobile phone, my computer or my alarm clock to control the time. I wonder if this will work and manifest in my dreams. Up to now I have never looked at these item in my dreams as well as I haven't done any of the other RC.

Do you think it is good to have several different items to do a RC or do you prefer one single? uhh

Furthermore, do you think the one with the time is reliable? (I think, that I actually have to answer this question by myself using it over a certain time. But maybe you have own experiences there.)

And one important question: If you do RC in real life, do you always answer with something like: "Hmm, I've done a RC and it failed. Well I'm not dreaming".? Would be logical. I just worry the "I'm-not-dreaming" could repeat in my dream!

#31:  Author: Sakoda PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2007
    ----
well, say in your mind , with conviction , and after doing the RC with concentration NO ; IM NNOT DREAMING... than veryfie it a second time , this should keep what you fear here from happening in 99,99% percent of the cases ( but what happens to some here is , that they know they are dreaming , but "dont care" so to say , which leads to many smacked heads upon weaking tounge2)

#32:  Author: kTFox PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2007
    ----
Just don't say "I'm not dreaming" after you've done the RC because if you do then you'll do the same when you're dreaming.

#33:  Author: MMDreamer PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2007
    ----
Would you rather say "I'm dreaming"? Or nothing and just make the RC-'

#34:  Author: DarkRaven PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2007
    ----
Rotten Apples wrote:
Looking at my hands doesn't work anymore.

For a while, I looked at my hands. Usually, they were blurry or another finger magically grew if I was dreaming, but soon, my dreams contained more realistic hands. I had to resort to counting my fingers and fingernails. Something was out of place for a while, but soon my dreams had my ACTUAL HANDS. Then, I had to look at my feet and count my toes...

Now, the only RCs that work for me are looking at digital clocks or observing my surroundings such as when I was dreaming and sitting in bed - I have solid-colored flags hanging from my top bunk and I had to take it down and look at it. Checkers appeared on it and I knew I was dreaming...

I have a very similar problem. My hands used to have extra fingers and be all blurry and stuff, but now they're pretty darn realistic. Also, reading and writing in dreams isn't much of a problem for me, (normal dreams sometimes, yeah,) but in LD's I can almost always read something just fine. It's not jumbled and if I keep turning my head and looking back at it it takes a while to change. The ones that work the best for me now are plugging my nose, (and even then it's confusing because I can blow air out of my eyes in RL, LOL grin ) and trying to use powers.

I did something really cool the other day though. biggrin I was playing around with a dry-erase marker and I kept drawing on myself, lach1 then I erased it all and tried to think of just one thing to keep on there, so I decided to write the letters "RC" on my leg, right above my knee. My plan was that every time I saw the "RC" on my leg I would do a reality check of some kind. So I did, and that night in my ND I was trying on a dress for some reason and I spotted something on my leg. At first I was like, "What the heck is that on my leg?" Then I remembered, "Oh! That's that "RC" thing I drew on it yesterday, better do a reality check." So I did one and became lucid. I was so friggin' shocked to find out it was a dream. lach2 I told my siblings and they took the marker to try it, but they left the cap off and now it's dried out, gil darn them. grin1

#35:  Author: zero_cookie PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2007
    ----
I just had my first LD today (i had some a few times in my life, but accidentaly) and acheived it through reality checks, it was amazing
I started to get used to RCs in real life (looking at the hands and the digital clock) for 3 days and eventually did one on a dream.
I looked at my hands, one of them started to melt an the other only had 3 fingers eek2 i almost freaked out but then i realized "of course, it's happening because i must be dreaming!!!" then i became lucid, like magic!!! I decided also to do the digital watch RC. I looked at it seemed to be fine, but i looked away an then looked back, and the time had changed. I did it 3-4 times, was actually kind of funny.
Then i started to do some of that LD stuff like flying, jumping high, telekinesis and so on. Hope it happens more times /o/

#36:  Author: MMDreamer PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2007
    ----
zero_cookie wrote:
I just had my first LD today (i had some a few times in my life, but accidentaly) and acheived it through reality checks, it was amazing
I started to get used to RCs in real life (looking at the hands and the digital clock) for 3 days and eventually did one on a dream.

Great. And how did you do RC in real life? Looking at your hands and saying your are not dreaming since they look normal?

#37:  Author: DelThako PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2007
    ----
Waving in front of one's eyes is really not mentioned anywhere, even though that it is in my opininion the most reliable RC imaginable. Since eyes can't really see your hands if you wave too fast IRL, in a lucid dream you actually see over your entire "screen" with a trail of the hand.

#38:  Author: zero_cookie PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov, 2007
    ----
Quote:
zero_cookie wrote:

Great. And how did you do RC in real life? Looking at your hands and saying your are not dreaming since they look normal?

Yes, it's something like that. In real life i just look at them for a few seconds an realize how pretty solid they are and only move when i want to (yeah, of course ¬¬) but in the dream they were melting, distorted, missing fingers, and were somewhat blurry too, like they were made partially of smoke. etc. At least for me, the hands RC worked VERY well.
I also do the digital watch RC, maybe more than with the hands, but that's because i'm used to having the watch with me all the time for years. Actually in the dream the numbers were fine, but they changed drastically when i looked back.

#39:  Author: Orsa PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007
    ----
Today I kept forgetting to do RC's, so when I was keeping my journal, I decided to write "RC" on my hand so I'd remember. wink5

#40:  Author: Lizard King PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007
    ----
The RCs I always use are either holding my nose shut and seeing if I can still breath, or sticking my finger through my hand. The nose one is the easiest and best one in my opinion. They both feel REALLY weird when you do em in a dream.

#41:  Author: TimeLess PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007
    ----
Lucky Lizard King.

The nose one never works for me, either i cant breath or i cant and just dont notice what i am doing. the hand one used to work when i first started ld many years ago and now it just melts . very cool tho.

I used to ues The clock and watch it spin wonderful to see.

#42:  Author: lvb2555 PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007
    ----
Lol, you all probably know about the lightswitch technique. But doing reality checks in a normal dream is somewhat impossible for me, I either enter the dream lucid, or something makes me lucid that's beyond my control. But even in a lucid dream, I could not shut off lights in a room. I tried switches, I tried telekinesis, using my mind to break the bulbs, I tried telling it to shut off, and I tried to rip the light fixture from the ceiling....but...at that point a voice came from the lights and was very angry with me, and I ended up fleeing in fear.

#43:  Author: Lizard King PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec, 2007
    ----
lvb2555 wrote:
Lol, you all probably know about the lightswitch technique. But doing reality checks in a normal dream is somewhat impossible for me, I either enter the dream lucid, or something makes me lucid that's beyond my control. But even in a lucid dream, I could not shut off lights in a room. I tried switches, I tried telekinesis, using my mind to break the bulbs, I tried telling it to shut off, and I tried to rip the light fixture from the ceiling....but...at that point a voice came from the lights and was very angry with me, and I ended up fleeing in fear.

Make it habit to hold your nose shut and try to breathe through it. Works the best for me and feels really weird in a dream. Without using RCs you won't be confident enough that you are dreaming.

#44:  Author: MMDreamer PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007
    ----
So how do you remember doing a RC in the morning, after you got up?

#45:  Author: kTFox PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007
    ----
MMDreamer wrote:

you could just put a letter in an enevelope that says "Do a RC" and open it before you go to bed and when you wake up

#46:  Author: MMDreamer PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2007
    ----
kT4all wrote:
you could just put a letter in an enevelope that says "Do a RC" and open it before you go to bed and when you wake up

I'll try it. Hope I don't forget to look at the letter, cause I think it's important to make a RC right after awakening.

#47:  Author: Acodemaster PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec, 2007
    ----
whispa wrote:
I'm sure there are lots, but i can't think of many RC's i could do while falling asleep that don't involve moving my body. I want to do one every 6o seconds which i'll count in my head.

if you know that muscle you close when you swallow, just close that and see if you're still breathing. Hopefully you know what I'm talking about...

#48:  Author: Phi_guy PostPosted: Wed 26 Dec, 2007
    ----
I'm having a slight problem with RC's. Most of my dreams involve people trying to kill me, so I don't have the mental capacity to do an RC. All of my energies are focused solely on surviving. Anyone have any ideas on how to combat this? I plan to try to program myself to gain lucidity when I dream of danger, but I'm concerned that that may create issues with my waking life.

#49:  Author: Mitchell PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008
    ----
the pluggging nose RC works perfectly. i started remembering to do RC's 2 days ago and i had a dream last night and i remembered to plug my nose and i could still breathe, IT FELT SOOOOOOO WEIRD!

#50:  Author: Fate PostPosted: Sun 13 Jan, 2008
    ----
Lleu wrote:
I'm having a slight problem with RC's. Most of my dreams involve people trying to kill me, so I don't have the mental capacity to do an RC. All of my energies are focused solely on surviving. Anyone have any ideas on how to combat this? I plan to try to program myself to gain lucidity when I dream of danger, but I'm concerned that that may create issues with my waking life.

Instead of that, try to program yourself like that: When someone or something chases me, I will become lucid.

#51:  Author: Skidzz PostPosted: Tue 15 Jan, 2008
    ----
I decided that I would wear my digital watch to bed from now on. I've been meaning to keep it on when I got to bed, but I'm in a total habit of taking it off. I'm going to use it as the FA-Buster. Whenever I wake up during the night or the morning, I'll flip the indiglo on and see what the time is, wait for it to go off, then press it again and see what "new" time shows up. I think this should work well since it'll be right in my face, and i won't have to move around too much to look at it. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

#52:  Author: Skidzz PostPosted: Tue 15 Jan, 2008
    ----
Acodemaster wrote:
whispa wrote:

if you know that muscle you close when you swallow, just close that and see if you're still breathing. Hopefully you know what I'm talking about...

Yeah, it's like the same muscle you use when going underwater without plugging your nose with your fingers.

#53:  Author: Skidzz PostPosted: Tue 15 Jan, 2008
    ----
Orsa wrote:
Today I kept forgetting to do RC's, so when I was keeping my journal, I decided to write "RC" on my hand so I'd remember. wink5

I'd suggest that its better to be able to remember without any visual cues. LaBerge offers a great exercise in EWLD to improve your prospective memory. I did it, and it really helped. You write down about 5 targets on cards, one card per day for a week. Wake up, read the card, memorize the targets. Whenever you notice a target (say, when you're in a bathroom, or when you see blinking lights) that should prompt you to RC. It works by association rather than visual cues, if you know what I mean. I got better at it and it was weird to have these targets in the back of my mind, notice one, and instantly think "RC." With that improvement, you can write down targets before you go to bed, and when you notice them in the dream -- BAM! You'll think "RC." Good luck!

#54:  Author: Fiko PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2008
    ----
I read in this forum something about "hole in the wall" ore something... Please someone tell me more about this RC.

#55:  Author: Datameister PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2008
    ----
I just wanna weigh in on the nose RC--in my experience, it's been nearly infallible. You can never breathe through a plugged nose in real life, and you nearly always can in a dream, especially if you try multiple times. Irrational rationalizations are the only way things can get screwed up--"Oh, I must not be holding my nose shut properly" or "Well, that's just happening because I'm sick" or something.

#56:  Author: Karate_Keigan PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008
    ----
i just started doing the nose breathing thing a few days ago, but what are some RC's that work really well for you guys?

#57:  Author: kTFox PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008
    ----
Karate_Keigan wrote:
i just started doing the nose breathing thing a few days ago, but what are some RC's that work really well for you guys?

I mainly just do the nose breathing and it's effective. I also look at some text look away quickly and look back again to see if the text changed any. You also could try to poke your palm with your finger and see if it'll go through.

#58:  Author: SouthernbotV PostPosted: Fri 01 Feb, 2008
    ----
Since I've started I've gotten really really good at dream recall but I can't seem to do a RC in my longest Rem phase. I've gotten lucid 4 times. But I keep getting swept back up into the dream because it's in the early rem stages. Can anyone give me any pointers?

#59:  Author: sirhc PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008
    ----
I read some where about a RC were you try and look at your nose and if you don't see it your dreaming. Does anyone know if this is effective?

#60:  Author: kTFox PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008
    ----
sirhc wrote:
I read some where about a RC were you try and look at your nose and if you don't see it your dreaming. Does anyone know if this is effective?

I have heard of this RC before. I personally have never used it before. But I have heard that it is effective.

#61:  Author: Morpheus :nuu: PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008
    ----
When I become lucid, it happens spontaneously. I NEVER remember to do a RC.

#62: Best reality Check for school... Author: nightmaster PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb, 2008
    ----
<mod>Moved to the BIG RC topic</mod>

I was just wondering what everyone thinks is the best RC to use during school time. It was ok during half-term because I could look at my hands or hold my nose to RC but in school its all a bit public. Any ideas?

#63:  Author: Oze PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb, 2008
    ----
Looking at your hands discreetly only takes a few seconds. You won't look weird.

#64:  Author: T3RM1N4TOR PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb, 2008
    ----
I check my hands and do a nose RC. I have to choose the proper times to do the nose RC though... it looks like I'm picking my nose shy2 The nose RC is my favorite but if you wanna be discreet, just feel how many fingers you have under your desk ^^

#65:  Author: shotbirds PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb, 2008
    ----
Hmm, schools usually have many clocks around, could always double check the time. Can't fail with the Nose check tho!

#66:  Author: TwilightDreamer PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb, 2008
    ----
Or bite something in your mouth (Not the tongue, something else - your lips or the part batween your lips and cheeks) No one can see that!

#67:  Author: Vipo PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb, 2008
    ----
An RC I like to do is trying to move objects, from a distant, with your mind. Nobody will notice it, you'll only have to think about it.

#68:  Author: kTFox PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb, 2008
    ----
I know this isn't a true RC but I was thinking of just saying 'Am I dreaming or awake?' each time I walk through a doorway. The goal of doing this is is to try and make it so that I would say 'Am I dreaming or awake?' in my dreams. I just want to see if it actually works. I know it would be faster if I just do RCs but I just want to try it my way first.

#69:  Author: shotbirds PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb, 2008
    ----
In my dreams I've never noticed anything weird about my hands, so i depend on the nose/time/light switch. And today in class i was gonna do a reality check but felt kinda stupid looking doing the nose one tounge2

#70:  Author: firedragon117 PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb, 2008
    ----
thanks this is useful

#71:  Author: xXLDloverXx PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb, 2008
    ----
My favourite rc's are the holding my nose and check if i can breathe and i wrote DREAM on the back of my hand in capital red letters (but small) and check it alot. in my dream last night i checked my hand and it looked exactly like the writing and color on my hand exept it was every second letter so it said DEM. i got freeked out thinking that wasnt what i wrote, so i made another rc and blocked my nose and i breathed so easily. i got all exited and in my dream i shouted im dreaming and flew all over the classroom, all dc's looking at me like i was mental lol.

#72:  Author: Fruttti PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb, 2008
    ----
kT4all wrote:
I know this isn't a true RC but I was thinking of just saying 'Am I dreaming or awake?' each time I walk through a doorway. The goal of doing this is is to try and make it so that I would say 'Am I dreaming or awake?' in my dreams. I just want to see if it actually works. I know it would be faster if I just do RCs but I just want to try it my way first.

I have heard that it can work. I do it each time I walk through one doorway at my school since i often dreams that i am there

#73:  Author: Sakoda PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb, 2008
    ----
seems like a good thing to do yes
my reality check is looking in a book or observing if the surroundings are slightly blurred and if the angles seems strange .

#74:  Author: Revolve PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008
    ----
I've done like 70 RC's today xD Do you think i'll do one in my dream too?

#75:  Author: MovieMe PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008
    ----
Revolve wrote:

If you continue doing them for another two weeks you might start doing them in your dream too wink5

#76:  Author: GreenDragon PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008
    ----
Revolve wrote:

Although there is no guarantee as sometimes it can take a little while for the idea to penetrate your sub-consious, (Hopefully it won't be long. wink5 ) It's possible, especially since you must have been thinking about Lucid dreaming quite a lot today to do that many RCs. smile

#77:  Author: Revolve PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008
    ----
Quote:
Although there is no guarantee as sometimes it can take a little while for the idea to penetrate your sub-consious, (Hopefully it won't be long. ) It's possible, especially since you must have been thinking about Lucid dreaming quite a lot today to do that many RCs.

Heh, I have'nt been thinking about anything else but lucid dreaming today xD

#78:  Author: xXLDloverXx PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008
    ----
This works for me soo well. whenever you walk through a door, do a rc. it works because doors are always in most dreams so whenever you walk through a door in a dream you do a rc. i had a ld last night cus of it. i walked through my bedroom door and did an rc by checking what i wrote on my hand (dream). it didnt say anything like it it said ' ld41'.

#79:  Author: Revolve PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008
    ----
I have a question; when you do a RC, should you tell yourself something, like "I will do this in my dream" or do you just do 'em? Does it make any difference?

Also, can you just do RC's at random? Or should you do a RC everytime you see something, say for example orange?

#80:  Author: GreenDragon PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008
    ----
Revolve wrote:
I have a question; when you do a RC, should you tell yourself something, like "I will do this in my dream" or do you just do 'em? Does it make any difference?

Also, can you just do RC's at random? Or should you do a RC everytime you see something, say for example orange?

There are a couple of techniques you can use with reality checks that I can think of.
You can try to train yourself to do RCs when you see things IWL that show up often in your dreams. I have had an LD from this technique so it's the one I'd recommend. wink5
Another one I heard about was, you do as many reality checks as possible in the day. I think this probably works by making you think about Lucid dreaming a lot. smile
There is also a technique where you would imagine a dream you have had recently and imagine yourself doing an RC in it and getting lucid, hoping that next time you encounter that element in your dreams, you will RC. :D

#81:  Author: kTFox PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008
    ----
Revolve wrote:

From what I remember from EWLD:
1. Do a reality check
2. Ask yourself "I'm not dreaming now but if I were to be dreaming what would it be like?"
3. Imagine what it would be like if it would be a dream.

It goes on something along those lines.

Revolve wrote:
Or should you do a RC everytime you see something, say for example orange?

Doing a RC every time you see something is what describes a dream sign. Every time you see that dream sign you will do a RC.

#82:  Author: BassMastaMike PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2008
    ----
kt4all wrote:
Doing a RC every time you see something is what describes a dream sign. Every time you see that dream sign you will do a RC.

I know this is partially off-topic, but can a dream sign be a type of lighting in the dream, or is that just a general factor of dreams and extremely common? Just curious

#83:  Author: kTFox PostPosted: Thu 20 Mar, 2008
    ----
BassMastaMike wrote:
kt4all wrote:

I know this is partially off-topic, but can a dream sign be a type of lighting in the dream, or is that just a general factor of dreams and extremely common? Just curious

It could be a dreamsign, if you see that certain kind of lighting in most of your dreams. A dreamsign can be anything that reoccurs in your dreams.

#84:  Author: LadyBa PostPosted: Tue 22 Apr, 2008
    ----
I use to dream with weird creatures a lot... like demons, monsters, ghosts, aliens... So what should I do? Look at my hand every time i see a demon?

#85:  Author: GreenDragon PostPosted: Thu 24 Apr, 2008
    ----
LadyBa wrote:
I use to dream with weird creatures a lot... like demons, monsters, ghosts, aliens... So what should I do? Look at my hand every time i see a demon?

If your dream-sign is not likely to show up in reality then there are a couple of ways you can try to train your self to RC. You can imagine a dream you had recently in which they showed up and imagine yourself doing an RC in it. You could also try to associate RCing to the demons, when you see them on T.V for instance. smile

#86:  Author: Napier PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun, 2008
    ----
The "sticking a finger through the hand/palm" method is an unreliable reality check (leastwise for me). It helped me to reach lucidity for the first time, but secondly I was unable to do it so I needed to do the "holding the nose" method to be sure i'm really lucid.

By the way, today was the first occasion i reached lucidity. smile

#87:  Author: Traveler PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun, 2008
    ----
I close my mouth and try to breath though it.

#88:  Author: Tcc PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008
    ----
I just discovered a RC for me. It works if you wear glasses and it doesn't look awkward in public. I just look to see if I'm wearing my glasses since I usually never wear them in dreams.

#89:  Author: Morpheus :nuu: PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008
    ----
I normally try a million different RCs in my dream

I plug my nose
Look at my hands
Plug my nose
and then I look at my hands again

For some reason my hands are disformed in my dreams

#90:  Author: trophycase PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul, 2008
    ----
the nose breathing is my personal favorite. I don't use and true induction techniques, all i do is a couple RCs (nose breathing being my favorite.). As far as dependency and quickness go, the nose breathing one is by far the best in my oppinion. for me it works every time, and it's fast and easy. I have tried reading text in dreams before, and either i wake up before i can complete it, or i just don't have to focus to do it. and hands usually look the same for me.

#91: Reality Checks Author: kmd415 PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2008
    ----
Last night, I had my first lucid dream since joining the forum last week. I have had many LDs before, but began getting frustrated and confused with false awakenings and going in & out of lucidity. I learned about reality checks, and tried it last night. WOW was that neat! Once I realized I was dreaming, I tried to stick my right finger through my left hand. It wasn't an easy pass-through, I really had to dig, almost like trying to poke a stick through heavy modeling clay. Once I did it, I was doing it the whole dream. All day today, I have the strangest feeling in the middle of my left hand. I must have been playing with my palm in my sleep. ??
Another cool thig about last night -- this is the first dream in a long time that I actually had a conversation with a dream character about my lucid dreaming. Although I can't remember exactly what he said, I can still picture what he looks like in my head. He was a cross between Adrian Grenier & Seth Rogan. Analyze that one!
Glad i was able to use a tip I learned here!

#92:  Author: Sanky PostPosted: Fri 03 Oct, 2008
    ----
I recently (a week ago) started to do the finger-though-palm one, but I felt I was doing it too much and that I didn't think about it really. Now I writed RC on my hand and on my leg. Each time I'll see it, I'll do some random RC I can think of. Also, when walking through a door, I'll try to do a RC.
The only LD I had was using WILD, so I hope I'll have some using RCs, too.

#93: What is wrong when Author: George PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct, 2008
    ----
I do a reality check in a dream and nothing happens ?

Many times it happen that I do it in a dream and then nothing.

I tried different reality checks.

What could be the problems ?

Thank you in advance for your eventual help

<mod>Merged from Quest. dragon</mod>

#94:  Author: GreenDragon PostPosted: Sun 12 Oct, 2008
    ----
This often seems to be caused by some sort of expectation that the RC is going to say you are awake. A way of combating that is to really question and give it some thought, if you are dreaming, when you do your RC. Doing the same RC over and over might also cause you to become used to it failing. So perhaps doing a few different RCs might help if you RC often. smile

#95: Getting Started with RCs Author: Steve-Oh... PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008
    ----
Ive jsut started a DJ to help withdream recall, and ive been trying to do RCs too, but i never think of them druing the day. Is there any way to help make them a habit?

#96:  Author: Sanky PostPosted: Thu 16 Oct, 2008
    ----
I did stick-your-finger-though-other-hands-palm relaity check in a lucid dream, and it failed! Or, rather, worked! Failed! Eeh...
Basicly, it didn't do what it was supposted to do: The finger was stopped by the palm! So if I would ever do this RC in a ND, I wouldn't get lucid!
Thankfully, the nose one worked, so I'll use that one.

#97:  Author: BlueAndWhite PostPosted: Sat 18 Oct, 2008
    ----
Sanky:
Thats exactly what happened to me. My finger didnt go thorugh my palm, but the air supply got through my plugged nose afterwards so.. i dont bother with the hand-through-palm RC. As the nose one always works for me ^^

#98:  Author: Elusive PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct, 2008
    ----
I'm not sure if this method was mentioned yet, but I read somewhere that you could write a large "A" on your palm that stands for "awake." If you look at it in your dream and its there it might remind you to do a reality check. I hope that helps.

#99:  Author: Mistlight PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct, 2008
    ----
I actually don't do much RCing. I like to do the levitation RC, but only after I'm lucid. The classic "examining surroundings" trick works with me too.

#100:  Author: Tyro PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008
    ----
Reality checks can come in many differnt ways. In my first self induced lucid dream a poptart served as a reality check. :D

#101:  Author: Half Jack PostPosted: Sat 13 Dec, 2008
    ----
(Oh my first post on the English forum :3 )

RC's make me angry as hell. ): I never succeed that way, especially the mirror-way doesn't work.
I remember that last summer I was in a dream and I looked in a mirror to see if I still looked normal. Odd me would prove I was in a dream, I thought. First I did not see any reflection at all, so I went closer. Then I suddenly appeared, all bloody and gore like I'd been in some sort of accident. "Oh that's me!" I though and I just dreamed on. Argh.

A few dreams later I looked into the mirror again. My body shapeshifted into someone else and still I decided the RC proved I was awake.

Even clocks don't help! A few nights ago I was in a dream and looked at the clock. 3:00. I looked away and then looked again. 18:34. I looked away and looked again: --:--.
'Oh hey my clock's broke!' Oh god, dream-me is so stupid!

#102:  Author: zora_kid PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan, 2009
    ----
for me even if i do a hundred RC IRL, i never do them in a dream. when i dream its like watching TV. i dont think about my choices i just do them

#103: help Author: DR34M N0OB PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan, 2009
    ----
Can anybody help me...

The only time I'm reminded to do a RC is when I'm on LD4ALL but otherwise throughout the day I never remember. Any ideas? reality check reality check reality check reality check reality check reality check

#104:  Author: almighty catfish PostPosted: Sun 04 Jan, 2009
    ----
@DR34M N0OB: you could try using a watch and setting it to go off every hour? or you could try to remember to do one everytime you go through a doorway. that works for me. or you could do one when you see a clock. or a tv. or your family/friends. or... ill stop now. but now that i think about it, the possibilities are close to endless

i had a LD this morning by reality checking. it was about time too. ive been RCing for the past month with continuously missed and failed DS's, and it paid off! yay! the funny thing is that i didnt hear my phones alarm so i must have been in a really deep sleep.

#105:  Author: The Moon Man PostPosted: Thu 08 Jan, 2009
    ----
I stared doing the nose RC...
I do irt a few times a day.
When i'm in bed,that phase of the slow waking up,in wich you're half dreaming,half awake,i do it dozens of times.
I still can't get lucid...

#106: Well...gotta post sometime.. Author: Entheoman PostPosted: Mon 19 Jan, 2009
    ----
Really glad I found this site. I am a newbie, only been at this for 6 months, but it's good to find a site to share my interests. I LD about once a week, and trying desperately to increase that number. The RC thing is great, as I first learned it in "the art of dreaming" by castaneda. I will continue to try the nose technique...if anyone has any tips I would love to hear them. Just being on this site helps my mind to condition itsself to dream more. I recall dreams every night now, as before maybe twice a week. Thanks to all for making this possible and sharing your experiences.
Josh
Please message me if you have any pointers that can help me become lucid at night...besides the ones I have already read. Everything helps!
Peace to all

#107: New RC!! Author: 1wthWings PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar, 2009
    ----
ok so here is a RC that you only have to do once a day.
first. you know how when u were a kid, at least for me, whenever i had a LD i would first think wait! i was just in my bed. so then lalalalaa i would have a LD.
so whenever u get up in the morning aka out of your bed just be aware that u are getting up and if you want do a RC.
cause then when you are in a dream you will be like "wait i never got out of bed, im still sleeping!!"

on a side note. i do RC on a sheduled basis. and on a random basis. like whenever i look at a clock or what not. but i also do them, whenever i see the sun, the moon, my DS, and now whenever i wake up.smile

#108:  Author: LegendaryDreamer PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar, 2009
    ----
That's not really "new", it's just a mental way of questioning your state, reality or not.
It's basically a mental reality check.

Last edited by LegendaryDreamer on Sun 29 Mar, 2009; edited 1 time in total

#109:  Author: 1wthWings PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar, 2009
    ----
exactly. so its a NEW way of Q reality. Q reality is defined as a Reality check.

#110:  Author: LegendaryDreamer PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar, 2009
    ----
Actually, asking yourself about it isn't really new. Even the movie Waking Life (2001) discussed things like this.
Also, these videos were posted in 2007, and include something very similar:
Part One - Part Two - Part Three

#111:  Author: OceanBorn PostPosted: Mon 06 Apr, 2009
    ----
I've been doing as many RC during the day as I can remember, but no avail in my dreams til last night. Last night I can recall about 10 different dream connections, weather or not I woke u between them I dont know. But during the night I felt I turned over in bed and briefly woke and the next thing I knew was in a car so did a RC, because wasn't I in bed a second a go? I did the hand thing, tried to distort my finger by pulling it but nothing. So I thought, if I'm in a dream and keep pulling, it WILL distort so I pulled and my finger stretched. I then went on to do the breathe thing, which also worked but thats all I remember. So maybe setting your alarm earlier and just thinking 'LD!' and going back to sleep will help with a RC?

#112:  Author: Lidybug PostPosted: Wed 08 Apr, 2009
    ----
My hands always look normal in my LD's. The clock RC really works for me.

#113:  Author: nightmaster PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr, 2009
    ----
Hey all

Was just wondering, how many RC's do you need to do roughly to have the most chance of performing them in dreams? I've started wondering if its because I'm not doing enough RCs that I'm not getting lucid often

#114:  Author: GreenDragon PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009
    ----
The best way to get the most out of reality checks isn't just to do as many as possible. If you focus purely on quantity, then you may find it becomes something you expect to fail and get tired of doing. The best thing I believe to do, is to do as many RCs as you feel comfortable doing, trying to remember to do them when certain events (Dream signs) happen. When you do them, you want to try and really think, it might be a dream. Try to be in the mindset where it wouldn't be a huge surprise if your reality check said you were dreaming.

Tying them to an event is a good idea, it has been successful for me. Try to spend some time, when you have nothing better to do, focusing on your intention to RC when [insert dreamsign] happens. You can use some generic dream signs if you don't know any, two good ones are, things not working as expected, and things feeling dream-like. (Where the world seems so clear, like if it was an exceptionally sunny day for example) Placing a reminder of your intention to RC when [insert dreamsign] happens may help too. For example a quick note on you computer desk.

#115:  Author: zaret PostPosted: Fri 01 May, 2009
    ----
I normally pinch myself, to see if it hurts. Now may need to think of something else as I was able to hug and felt it with a person in my last LD (the person that hugged me died 3 years ago, not sure if it was because we made contact) I'm going to try other methids from now on...

#116:  Author: Johnny Tambourine PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2009
    ----
There is some RC I thought of (I'm not sure if it's already been done) that could be used by anyone who wears glasses. I've noticed that I never seem to be wearing glasses in dreams even though I have them on almost all day. It's just a quick RC that can be done by looking in a mirror or looking out of the corner of my eyes.

#117:  Author: kalyan PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2009
    ----
even the nose RC is not that reliable. it failed once for me. itried to breathe air out but it did not come. but i was quite sure that i am dreaming, so i did another RC

#118:  Author: Drumm PostPosted: Fri 29 May, 2009
    ----
A few general thoughts on RC's:
I'm going to start trying the vision RC--I wear glasses, so if I have perfect vision without glasses, I'm certainly dreaming. Or if my vision is blurred with glasses, same thing.
I find that it's useful to do the hand RC a lot, because I never actually look at my hands in dreams. Blurry hands would be a good sign.
I don't know how well this would work, but here's my idea: seeing as my dreams are always crazy illogical, I'll start asking myself during the day "has anything really odd happened recently?" It's kinda broad, but a sudden change of scenery is definitely something that I would find weird in waking life.

#119:  Author: SweeterDreams PostPosted: Mon 01 Jun, 2009
    ----
Ha I had a weird one! I was sitting in class, and the dream was on Thursday night, so I knew that it must be Friday, which I knew we were supposed to get off. I turned to the girl next to me and was like "Hey, why do we have school? We're supposed to have today off." Then the teacher looked at me and was like "It's a dream." and I was like "Really?" and she nodded. Then I was like, "So, I can leave?" and she nodded again, and I got up and awkwardly walked out of the room. Haha!! My reality check was trying to fly, it didn't work but I figured it was dream because the teacher told me so. Weird.

#120:  Author: Umbra PostPosted: Mon 15 Jun, 2009
    ----
MMDreamer wrote:

I tacked up a piece of paper to my ceiling above my pillow that says REALITY CHECK. It works.

I also write it on the back of my hand twice. Each in a different color. Ever time I see it, I do a RC.

#121:  Author: Jake Kobrin PostPosted: Sat 20 Jun, 2009
    ----
I had a VERY frustrated with this dream! Does this happen often? I must have checked my reality 20 times in my dream...

I don't remember the entire dream scenario but I was talking with someone who I can't recall. I believe I was inside an off-white building with some windows. Within the dream I said, "Wait, I'm dreaming!" and I performed a reality test in which I tried to put my right hand through my left. It worked just as it would in reality, in which my right hand could not go through the left. At first I dismissed the thought and resumed what I was doing but a few moments later I thought, "Wait, no, I really am dreaming!" and I tried it again... and it worked as it would in reality. The person I was talking with thought I had gone mad. This made me VERY frustrated which reckoned a spell of attempts to overcome the reality check. Each time it operated just as it would in the waking realm and each time I grew more and more frustrated. I tried again overcome the threshold of the dream by plugging my nose. In the dream, I should be able to continue to breath while my nose is plugged. This also worked as in reality. With my nerves on end I devised an ultimate attempt. Recollecting on the techniques portrayed within a LD book I am reading, I said to myself, "In dreams, you can fly!" so I began gallivanting through the hallway trying to achieve an unrealistic (in waking) air-time. After failing miserably, and feeling quite embarrassed about it, I finally (wrongly) admitted, "Ok, I'm definitely not dreaming." and continued my dream as normal... I nearly punched myself when I woke up.

#122: Re: The BIG Reality Check topic, part IV Author: Magic Qwan PostPosted: Wed 24 Jun, 2009
    ----
zeroexe wrote:
<mod>This is part IV of a continued discussion, the previous part can be found here. siiw</mod>

Just popping in a small note justifying this method works.

Recently (about 1 week ago) I started doing RC's everyday, not heaps but up to 20 perday...Last night I was in one of the most strangest dreams and suddenly stopped to do an RC. I pinched my nose and tried to breathe, but couldn't...so although it didn't work, I still attempted it during a dream...I guess if I keep at it, it will work!

Thanks

Strange...The nose pinch is the only RC that actaully works for me...

#123:  Author: LDT PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2009
    ----
Iam yet to performa reality check ina dream even tho I do at least 20 a day, and also when I do reality checks I do at least 3 so to make sure one doesn't slip thro the net.

#124:  Author: Shadow Dreamer PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug, 2009
    ----
I stuck my finger through my hand in an LD (weird!), and breathed through my fingers.
But I haven't gotten an LD from RCs. lach1

#125: Would this work as an RC? Author: Xouved PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010
    ----
My finger comes out of it's joint slightly when I pull it. Seems weird but long story short would this be a suitable RC I can never be bothered with others. ( And prefer to be different smile)

<mod>Merged from a topic in General Lucidness. dragon</mod>

#126: Re: Would this work as an RC? Author: Don Anonymus PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010
    ----
Xouved wrote:
My finger comes out of it's joint slightly when I pull it. Seems weird but long story short would this be a suitable RC I can never be bothered with others. ( And prefer to be different smile)

Freaky... does your finger come out IRL ? If so, it wouldn't be good as an RC as your finger comes out IRL and in dreaming life... hope you understand what I'm talking about smile

#127:  Author: KauaiDreamer PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2010
    ----
Okay! I did not realize how awfully creepy the thumb through palm RC would be! It's just gross! But it did work, I have no idea what prompted me to do an RC while I was dreaming but to see your thumb go through your hand and the nail pop out on the other side is definitely good at shocking you lucid!

#128:  Author: shinju PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2010
    ----
KauaiDreamer wrote:
Okay! I did not realize how awfully creepy the thumb through palm RC would be! It's just gross! But it did work, I have no idea what prompted me to do an RC while I was dreaming but to see your thumb go through your hand and the nail pop out on the other side is definitely good at shocking you lucid!

ehehe, I was actually really amused by this. I might have been sticking my finger through my hand for good 5 minutes in one LD

#129:  Author: jkup PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul, 2010
    ----
Thats an original method I just stick to the good FingerPalm method

#130:  Author: Grayscale-Blush PostPosted: Sun 18 Jul, 2010
    ----
Mad cool

I've never used that RC before, but I try harder during the day now to RC.

During a dream once I checked by looking at some text twice. I didn't realize the text had changed. now I double check during the day

but the palm skewer sounds sick.

#131: reality check apathy Author: dreamincolor PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov, 2011
    ----
didn't want to make an entire new post about this, but had an interesting experience last night.

I've gotten into the habit of counting my fingers as an RC, don't do it as often as I should, but anyway, counted my fingers last night in a dream and they were all there. For some reason I wasn't satisfied that this was reality and kept counting them, finding them all to be there. Then I pinched my nose and discovered I could breathe through it. with this confirmation, I didn't proceed to have a lucid dream or any fun lucid adventures. I simply didn't care and continued on. the only part of the dream I remember today is me doing the reality checks.

usually if I discover I'm dreaming I get excited and try to make things happen. this apathy confuses me. any idea why I couldn't have cared less, or how to concentrate and maintain lucidity?

#132:  Author: JaySkyecrest PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2011
    ----
For me personally I do not think that I would do good with this particular RC. Just because of the fact that my dreams tend to be a bit more realistic and take on the characteristics of RL. I am not saying that I don't have weird dreams I am merely saying that some RC that work for others do not work for me. Everyone probably experiences this to some extent. lucid reality check

#133:  Author: glypheye PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011
    ----
"Within the dream I said, 'Wait, I'm dreaming!' "

Seems to me...that this here was your actual dream-sign :D In other words, if you are ever convinced that you're dreaming...or even question whether or not you're dreaming for real...then, for sure, you're almost certainly dreaming!

LOL! Sorry, but this is really funny...the whole scenario you presented in your post. I say this because I've been there many times. I've been duped by "reality checks" many times in dreams...and the funny thing is, I get duped by second guessing whether or not I'm dreaming after I come to the realization in the dream that I am, indeed, dreaming. There's some kind of weird feedback loop in play here that I'm at a loss to describe accurately...but it has something to do with the dream's representation of second guessing the self...and how it represents the irony of that second guessing...it's like the second guessing reverses the property of how the "reality check" works, or something like this. Of course, this is just my impressions upon reading your post. Can't verify this in any way other than gut instinct.

Anyway, thanks for the chuckles :D. For what its worth, you've given me some deep insight, with your post, into how to approach this phenomenon when it occurs in dreaming...and for that, I thank you smile

#134:  Author: glypheye PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2011
    ----
With respect to earlier posts, looking at my hands still works for me...or has one the occasion that I happen to look in dreams. Typically, the tips of my fingers will disappear...or my thumbs will grow to cartoonish proportions. That's usually enough to kick off lucidity.

However, it seems one of the most reliable developing checks, for me, is a certain bodily "feeling" that is the signature of lucidity in dreaming...a certain vibratory buoyancy that is the essence of the dreaming body. The value of this "check" is that holding my awareness on this bodily sensation seems to gather intensity in the dream...and helps to sustain lucidity throughout various complex tasks. I've been away from ld for awhile, so...have to revisit how "valid" this is for me when I return. Not long now woo

#135:  Author: moogle PostPosted: Sun 22 Jul, 2012
    ----
Just finished a can of cherry cola, it isn't the big name make and is called RC cola cherry. eh

I suppose I had better do a reality check ... because if I don't and this turns out to be a dream I will kick myself!!

#136:  Author: Lincourtz PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov, 2013
    ----
So is there a method to prompt your concience to make a reality check within a dream other than doing it often in real life? Cuz ive been reading this read for a quite long time now and i see that people do RC with stuff they've got at hand in real life, but when im dreaming i hardly have anything around that will prompt a reality check, in fact, its like im there but i dont even see my own body, let alone check for something with text or a vending machine or stuff in my room (i never dream about locations im familiar with)

#137:  Author: Thorn PostPosted: Sat 16 Nov, 2013
    ----
Lincourtz, whether you "see" your body or not, you should be able to do RCs with it. I don't look for my hand when I go to pinch my nose; I and other humans have proprioception, so I can guide my hand to my nose with little thought. If you have a head in-dream, why not try putting pressure on your tongue with your teeth? I and some other people have found this to be an effective, discreet RC that results in having no tongue to bite in dreams. Surely you can do a body-based RC if you put your mind to it.

Also, I think you want to say "conscious mind", as your conscience is your inner sense of wanting to do the right thing. smile

#138:  Author: Lincourtz PostPosted: Sun 17 Nov, 2013
    ----
Thank you very much, i still dont know much of the terminology and im trying to get used to it. ill keep going with my reality checks and see how it turns out!

LD4all » Quest for Lucidity

Page 1 of 1
printed from the LD4all.com lucid dreaming forum. Content copyrighted by the author.
Lucid dreamers unite! visit LD4all.com